This is a discussion on Re: Disk Shuffle - Hewlett Packard ; To your store parameters I'd add: PARTIALDB;ONVS=MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET for your store tape set for the system volume set PARTIALDB;ONVS=EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET for your store tape set for the external volume set I'd make 2 store tape sets for each volume set and verify ...
To your store parameters I'd add:
for your store tape set for the system volume set
for your store tape set for the external volume set
I'd make 2 store tape sets for each volume set and verify BOTH sets with
I'd change the config in SYSGEN in the group CONFIG to be what you want
*after* your move process, as the changes won't take affect until your next
boot from the CONFIG group, which will be after you've moved discs. Unless
of course you boot between some of your steps, or issue a DOIONOW command
after you've changed the IO config, but you don't want to do that during
this move process anyway.
Just be sure *all* the files in your config group you intend to use are on
LDEV 1 after the install, otherwise you'll end up with a box that boots on
one drive (yep, LDEV 1) possibly without any other drives, and a bunch of
You don't need to purge all the accounts on the external volume set as the
VSCLOSE and SCRATCHVOL processes will do this for you (well, the SCRATCHVOL
is actually the command that will do the work, the VSCLOSE makes the
SCRATCHVOL possible as you can't scratch an open volume set).
At #10 yes, change the SCSI id's.
Before #15 change the primary path in stable storage to reflect the new
primary path you want to use. This prevents boot problems in the future when
it's possible to forget in haste that the primary path was changed when the
discs were changed.
Step #26 not necessary.
On the restore for the system volume set and external volume set specify the
DIRECTORY option, as well as the PROGRESS option set at 3 instead of 1 - an
update every 3 minutes is usually sufficient.
When you do your restore and specify the DIRECTORY option you do not need to
run the BULDJOB1 as the restore recreated the system directory for you. You
should run the BULDJOB2 to take care of the udc's, unless you restored the
COMMAND.PUB.SYS file which is where the udc assignments are kept.
Disk Shuffle - sounds like some sort of Adager command !
I have a HP 3000 928RX that has 6.5 on it with the following disk
9 Gb internal drive - LDEV 1 (only 4 Gb recognized) MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
9 Gb internal drive - LDEV 2 (all 9 Gb recognized) MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
1.9 Gb external drive - LDEV 523 EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
1.9 Gb external drive - LDEV 524 EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
I would like to go through the nasty process of switching the LDEV 1 drive
with the LDEV 523 drive, so that I have use of the 4 Gb of space that is
unrecognized (no, I cannot go to MPE 7.5). All drives are SCSI connected.
Does this sound like I could do this ? Below is a sketching of the steps to
do this - did I leave anything out ?
1) Make sure that all the essential files can fit on 1.9 Gb (which I think
they will according the the OS installation manual)
2) Run BULDACCT @
3) Stop all jobs, background processes, network, etc.
4) STORE @.@.@;*T;DIRECTORY;SHOW to 2 separate tapes
5) Purge all ACCOUNTS on EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
6) VSCLOSE EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
7) VOLUTIL, SCRATCHVOL both disks in EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
8) SYSGEN, IO, DDEV 523, DDEV 524, HO, E, KE, TAPE (make 2 SLT tapes), E
9) ctrl-A SHUTDOWN, power off
10) physically swap the LDEV 523 disk with the LDEV 1 disk
11) swap the SCSI addresses on the disks in step 10 above ?
12) disconnect SCSI cable for external drives
13) boot the box from SLT tape created above in step 8
15) Reboot box from new LDEV 1 (primary path)
16) ISL> START NORECOVERY NOSYSSTART CONFIG=CONFG9X8 (This is so that it
will not remember the old disk configuration)
17) ctrl-A, SHUTDOWN
18) re-attach SCSI cable for external drives
19) Reboot box from primary path
20) ISL> START NORECOVERY NOSYSTART
21) SYSGEN, IO, add all paths, devices back in, HO, E, KE, E
22) ctrl-A, SHUTDOWN
23) Reboot box from primary path
24) ISL> START NORECOVERY NOSYSSTART
25) VOLUTIL, NEWSET command to re-create EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
26) SHUTDOWN / Reboot neccessary ?
27) From store tape created in step 4 above, RESTORE
28) OPENQ LP, STREAMS 10, Stream BULDJOB1.PUB (To re-create all accounts,
29) From store tape created in step 4 above, RESTORE
30) STREAM BULDJOB2.PUB (To re-create all udc's)
31) SHUTDOWN / Reboot WITH SYSSTART
What a monumental task. Please comment if I left something out !
* To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, *
* etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *