Disk Shuffle - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Disk Shuffle - Hewlett Packard ; Disk Shuffle - sounds like some sort of Adager command ! I have a HP 3000 928RX that has 6.5 on it with the following disk configuration: 9 Gb internal drive - LDEV 1 (only 4 Gb recognized) MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET 9 ...

  1. Disk Shuffle

    Disk Shuffle - sounds like some sort of Adager command !
    I have a HP 3000 928RX that has 6.5 on it with the following disk configuration:
    9 Gb internal drive - LDEV 1 (only 4 Gb recognized) MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    9 Gb internal drive - LDEV 2 (all 9 Gb recognized) MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    1.9 Gb external drive - LDEV 523 EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
    1.9 Gb external drive - LDEV 524 EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
    I would like to go through the nasty process of switching the LDEV 1 drive with the LDEV 523 drive, so that I have use of the 4 Gb of space that is unrecognized (no, I cannot go to MPE 7.5). All drives are SCSI connected. Does this sound like I could do this ? Below is a sketching of the steps to do this - did I leave anything out ?
    1) Make sure that all the essential files can fit on 1.9 Gb (which I think they will according the the OS installation manual)
    2) Run BULDACCT @
    3) Stop all jobs, background processes, network, etc.
    4) STORE @.@.@;*T;DIRECTORY;SHOW to 2 separate tapes
    5) Purge all ACCOUNTS on EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
    6) VSCLOSE EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
    7) VOLUTIL, SCRATCHVOL both disks in EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
    8) SYSGEN, IO, DDEV 523, DDEV 524, HO, E, KE, TAPE (make 2 SLT tapes), E
    9) ctrl-A SHUTDOWN, power off
    10) physically swap the LDEV 523 disk with the LDEV 1 disk
    11) swap the SCSI addresses on the disks in step 10 above ?
    12) disconnect SCSI cable for external drives
    13) boot the box from SLT tape created above in step 8
    14) INSTALL
    15) Reboot box from new LDEV 1 (primary path)
    16) ISL> START NORECOVERY NOSYSSTART CONFIG=CONFG9X8 (This is so that it will not remember the old disk configuration)
    17) ctrl-A, SHUTDOWN
    18) re-attach SCSI cable for external drives
    19) Reboot box from primary path
    20) ISL> START NORECOVERY NOSYSTART
    21) SYSGEN, IO, add all paths, devices back in, HO, E, KE, E
    22) ctrl-A, SHUTDOWN
    23) Reboot box from primary path
    24) ISL> START NORECOVERY NOSYSSTART
    25) VOLUTIL, NEWSET command to re-create EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
    26) SHUTDOWN / Reboot neccessary ?
    27) From store tape created in step 4 above, RESTORE *T;BULD@.PUB.SYS;SHOW;OLDDATE
    28) OPENQ LP, STREAMS 10, Stream BULDJOB1.PUB (To re-create all accounts, users, groups)
    29) From store tape created in step 4 above, RESTORE *T;@.@.@;SHOW;OLDDATE;KEEP;PROGRESS=1;CREATE
    30) STREAM BULDJOB2.PUB (To re-create all udc's)
    31) SHUTDOWN / Reboot WITH SYSSTART
    What a monumental task. Please comment if I left something out !
    Wyell Grunwald

  2. Re: Disk Shuffle

    And updating to 7.5 is really harder than this how?

    Nothing terribly wrong but more conservative in the I/O Configuration and Volume creation then what I've done. Mostly seems you're doing more reboots at the end of the process than strictly necessary. I would however definitely recommend one reboot after adding a new member to the MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET. This could be delayed until all the data is restored -- small risk if you crash or power fail during restore.

    Your system and your data do what you think is best,

    Jim

    Some comments:

    >> Skip 12 & 18 don't bother to disconnect external drives.

    >> Build CONFIG with where you want to end up. Alternately do reboot withonly one LDEV configured and then to IOCONFIG to re-add disks.

    16) ISL> START NORECOVERY NOSYSSTART >> optional CONFIG=. . .
    (This is so that it will not remember the old disk configuration)<< not necessary. . .

    >> If you booted with only one disk configured use IOCONFIG to add them back.

    >> Note that INSTALL should clear the fact that you have two volumes in the"current" MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET. So even though you might have a similar appearing name in the label (DSTAT) MPE should "know" that this isn't the same thing as the set with this same name previously present due to the volume UFID which contains timestamp information.

    >> Now check, with DSTAT you should see ONE MPEXL... of STATUS MASTER and the other LONER. Two more scratched or possibly loner depending if you scratched previously. Here is a system where I have a 6.5 and 7.5 boot disk and a volume set which I've VSCLOSE.

    DSTAL ALL
    LDEV-TYPE STATUS VOLUME VOLUME SET - GEN
    ---------- ------- ----------------------------------
    1-ST34371W MASTER MEMBER1 MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET-0
    2-C2490WD LONER MEMBER1 MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET-0
    301-ST3146807LC LONER MEMBER1 WTFVOLUME-0
    302-ST3146807LC LONER MEMBER2 WTFVOLUME-0

    >> I could easily at this point scratch 2 and addvol it to MPEXL_... I could also rename the WTFVOLUME volumes one doesn't have to go through a reboot cycle to rebuild, in short hand:

    VSCLOSE oldset
    volutil Scratch Adev
    volutil scratch Bdev
    volutil NEWSET newset member1 Adev
    volutil ADDVOL newset:member2 Bdev
    VSCLOSE newset
    VSOPEN newset

    >> You can do those steps multiple times in a loop each time renaming them (I have) AS LONG AS you make sure to wait long enough for the actual volumemounts and dismounts to occur -- return to the CI is NOT enough time. (monitor via DSTAT)

    >> Skip on

    19) Reboot box from primary path
    20) ISL> START NORECOVERY NOSYSTART
    21) SYSGEN, IO, add all paths, devices back in, HO, E, KE, E
    22) ctrl-A, SHUTDOWN
    23) Reboot box from primary path
    24) ISL> START NORECOVERY NOSYSSTART
    >> Skip off

    25) VOLUTIL,
    a) NEWSET & NEWVOL command to re-create EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
    b) NEWVOL second MPEXL_ member.
    26) VSCLOSE/OPEN "EXTRA"