Re: OT: paintballs in space (was Another set of shoulders lost) - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT: paintballs in space (was Another set of shoulders lost) - Hewlett Packard ; Tom - After doing a little math, I figurered if the asteroid were causes to move sideways by 1 inch a second, after a year it would make a difference of about 500 miles. I do not know what kind ...

  1. Re: OT: paintballs in space (was Another set of shoulders lost)

    Tom -

    After doing a little math, I figurered if the asteroid
    were causes to move sideways by 1 inch a second,
    after a year it would make a difference of about 500
    miles. I do not know what kind of force would be
    necessary to do this, but 500 miles is not much
    compared to the diameter of the earth.

    ----------

    at that speed, what's to say the paint chip, (or it's disintegrating-particles),
    would necessarily stop once it reached the astronaut inside the suit?

    ----------

    When I say 'disintegrate' I mean 'vaporize'. Once that
    happens the energy get dissipated. End of story. If the
    paint chip is large enough to act like a bullet, then the
    astronaut is in trouble.

  2. OT: paintchips in space (was Another set of shoulders lost)

    Brice Yokem wrote: When I say 'disintegrate' I mean 'vaporize'. Once that
    happens the energy get dissipated. End of story. If the
    paint chip is large enough to act like a bullet, then the
    astronaut is in trouble.

    Brice,

    I really wish I could find the picture.

    I sure you can imagine the "windshield" glass at the front of the Space Shuttle is several inches thick and bulletproof.

    I doubt I could re-create the effect with a sledge hammer.

    As the article says, the odds of hitting an external space walker is extremly low, but if it did hit, I am sure it would be deadly.

    -Craig