OT: MS VISTA (more pain) - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on OT: MS VISTA (more pain) - Hewlett Packard ; The view that I have of MicroSoft's attempted foray into multi-user environments is akin to Dr. Samuel Johnson's observation on dogs walking on their hind legs, one wonders not on how poorly it is done but that it is done ...

  1. OT: MS VISTA (more pain)

    The view that I have of MicroSoft's attempted foray into multi-user
    environments is akin to Dr. Samuel Johnson's observation on dogs walking on
    their hind legs, one wonders not on how poorly it is done but that it is done
    at all.

    --
    *** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
    9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

  2. Re: OT: MS VISTA (more pain)

    I have hopes for Vista, but I have no interest in putting it on any
    machine I use or manage, at least for the next several months.

    Quite frankly, my experience with Vista is such that I don't see any
    overwhelming advantage to moving to Vista, despite the improved
    security (or at least the appearance of improved security).

    While I saw a big difference between Windows 98SE and Windows XP Pro,
    I don't see anything approaching that between Windows XP Pro and
    Vista. And actually I still have two PCs running Windows 98SE that
    run 24-7. One now spends most of its time as a print server and the
    other is the family music server. One hasn't been rebooted since a
    power failure earlier this year, and the other was restarted a couple
    of days later (two fans in that box failed to spin up after power was
    restored, so I had to find replacement fans). Oh, and I don't buy
    that Windows Media hype about how you need Vista to really have a
    media PC. Both of the Windows 98SE boxes have ATI All-In-Wonder
    cards and both can record, edit, and playback video (the one with an
    ATI All-In-Wonder Rage 9000DV card does it better and can pause and
    resume viewing while recording continues). Maybe it is a little
    easier in that you don't have to install a lot of drivers, but I
    really haven't found much you can do (media-wise) on Vista that you
    can't do on 98SE.

    In comparing Vista to XP Pro, the only factor which leans in Vista's
    favor is its ability to run applications with large memory
    requirements so much better than XP. I routinely get "out of memory"
    errors with XP, but in using Vista I haven't had that problem. What
    are these "large memory" applications? Adobe Photoshop CS2, Corel
    Paint Shop Pro X2, Canon Digital Photo Professional, things like
    that. While I have 2 GB of RAM in the XP boxes, they don't seem to
    be very adept in managing it, and there seems to be a hard limit to
    how large the virtual memory space can be. Once the Task Manager
    shows 3.22 GB, the applications start popping "out of memory"
    modals. Unfortunately, I see this way too often.

    Stability is NOT a problem with XP. My main PC (which is where I do
    my image editing) is not a small system. Currently it has an AMD
    3800+ dual-core with 2 GB RAM and 12 hard drives for a total of about
    5.2 TB of disc space (hey, when your raw image files come from the
    camera as 11 MB to 16 MB files, you eat up disc space very quickly).

    Most of those hard drives are external USB drives, so the amount of
    space on the PC varies from day to day. Along with all those
    external USB drives, there are many other USB devices - CF card
    readers, webcam, graphics tablet, printers, Spyder 2 Pro color
    calibration sensor, MP3 player, and of course keyboard and
    mouse. Yup, so many USB devices that there are three external USB 7
    port USB hubs, and there is only 1 empty USB port. Oh, and it has
    dual monitors (very handy for image editing).

    Did I mention that it also runs Apache and MySQL in the background,
    as well as some "services" I developed in PHP which hit certain web
    sites every 15 minutes, capture the pages, parse the pages, and save
    copies of the pages along with metrics from the pages?

    So how long does this XP Pro system run between reboots? Not as long
    as an HP 3000, but not too bad for a PC. I usually reboot it once a
    month when the Windows Updates come out. Last month I didn't reboot
    it, so as of a few minutes ago it has now been up 59.66 days since
    the last reboot.

    It is true that my Linux box has been up a few months since its last
    reboot, but then it is a pretty basic configuration. It doesn't
    receive the pounding the Windows XP box receives, so I'd expect it to
    run at least two years to see the level of activity the XP box sees
    in two weeks.

    So which do I prefer, Windows XP or Linux? It depends on what I have
    to do. These days I do a lot of LAMP and WAMP, and with so much open
    source software from the Linux/Unix world now running on Windows XP,
    I'm actually finding that I do a lot of my LAMP development on
    Windows XP Pro and then moving it over to Linux and testing on both
    Windows and Linux, making sure that there is ONE version of the code
    and that it runs on both platforms.

    Choose Linux or choose XP? Nope, can't make that decision, I want them both!

    John
    *** When replying to this message, please do not delete these ***
    *** signature lines. Otakon Katsucon HP3000-L @classiccmp.org ***
    *** DigitalCosplay.com JohnKorbPhoto.com ***