BROKEN CHAIN POINTERS - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on BROKEN CHAIN POINTERS - Hewlett Packard ; Dear database experts we do have a problem on one of our big datasets (>7000000 entries) FIND risikonummer = "9CW2D5" BROKEN CHAIN POINTERS 0 ENTRIES QUALIFIED the problem results in aborting one of our COGBNOS/QDESIGN programs with "data access error". ...

  1. BROKEN CHAIN POINTERS

    Dear database experts

    we do have a problem on one of our big datasets (>7000000 entries)

    FIND risikonummer = "9CW2D5"
    BROKEN CHAIN POINTERS
    0 ENTRIES QUALIFIED

    the problem results in aborting one of our COGBNOS/QDESIGN programs with
    "data access error".

    - how can I find out which pointers are broken
    - how can I fix the problem

    thanks for any suggestions
    friedrich

    Mag. Friedrich Harasleben
    stv. Leiter IT & Operations

    Coface Austria Holding AG
    Coface Central Europe Holding AG
    Stubenring 24
    1010 Wien
    Austria
    T: +43/1/515 54-300
    F: +43/1/515 54-50300
    www.coface.at
    www.cofacecentraleurope.com

    Firmenbuchnr. FN 65493 p (Coface Austria)
    Firmenbuchnr. FN 043204 k (Coface Central Europe)
    Handelsgericht Wien

    This e-mail message may contain confidential and/or privileged
    information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this
    e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this
    e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the
    material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

    P Before printing, please think about the impact it has on the environment

  2. Re: BROKEN CHAIN POINTERS

    do you have adager?

    >>> Friedrich Harasleben 4/9/2008 4:30 AM >>>

    Dear database experts

    we do have a problem on one of our big datasets (>7000000 entries)

    FIND risikonummer = "9CW2D5"
    BROKEN CHAIN POINTERS
    0 ENTRIES QUALIFIED

    the problem results in aborting one of our COGBNOS/QDESIGN programs with
    "data access error".

    - how can I find out which pointers are broken
    - how can I fix the problem

    thanks for any suggestions
    friedrich

    Mag. Friedrich Harasleben
    stv. Leiter IT & Operations

    Coface Austria Holding AG
    Coface Central Europe Holding AG
    Stubenring 24
    1010 Wien
    Austria
    T: +43/1/515 54-300
    F: +43/1/515 54-50300
    www.coface.at
    www.cofacecentraleurope.com

    Firmenbuchnr. FN 65493 p (Coface Austria)
    Firmenbuchnr. FN 043204 k (Coface Central Europe)
    Handelsgericht Wien

    This e-mail message may contain confidential and/or privileged
    information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this
    e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this
    e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the
    material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

    P Before printing, please think about the impact it has on the environment

  3. Re: BROKEN CHAIN POINTERS

    On Apr 9, 3:30*am, Friedrich Harasleben
    wrote:

    > - how can I find out which pointers are broken
    > - how can I fix the problem

    Hopefully you have a utility tool for database maintenace on your
    system. ADAGER, DBGENRL or DBCHANGE. Otherwise, you can use DIOGENES
    to locate the problem. If you can locate one or more of these on
    your system, via LISTF, we can give you more specific instructions on
    how to run them.

    Mark Ranft
    Pro 3K

  4. Re: BROKEN CHAIN POINTERS

    Friedrich:

    There are 2 options:

    1. Use a 3rd party tool like Adager or DBGeneral to do an analysis and
    repair.
    2. Unload the dataset and reload.

    HP never provided any tools with the image database, hence the unload
    and load. This is slow and with that type of volume could take days,
    depending on your tape technology. I personally prefer Adager as I have
    always had good results and excellent support from them.

    Hope your day gets better!

    Dave

    Friedrich Harasleben wrote:
    > Dear database experts
    >
    > we do have a problem on one of our big datasets (>7000000 entries)
    >
    > FIND risikonummer = "9CW2D5"
    > BROKEN CHAIN POINTERS
    > 0 ENTRIES QUALIFIED
    >
    > the problem results in aborting one of our COGBNOS/QDESIGN programs with
    > "data access error".
    >
    > - how can I find out which pointers are broken
    > - how can I fix the problem
    >
    > thanks for any suggestions
    > friedrich
    >
    > Mag. Friedrich Harasleben
    > stv. Leiter IT & Operations
    >
    > Coface Austria Holding AG
    > Coface Central Europe Holding AG
    > Stubenring 24
    > 1010 Wien
    > Austria
    > T: +43/1/515 54-300
    > F: +43/1/515 54-50300
    > www.coface.at
    > www.cofacecentraleurope.com
    >
    > Firmenbuchnr. FN 65493 p (Coface Austria)
    > Firmenbuchnr. FN 043204 k (Coface Central Europe)
    > Handelsgericht Wien
    >
    > This e-mail message may contain confidential and/or privileged
    > information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this
    > e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this
    > e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the
    > material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.
    >
    > P Before printing, please think about the impact it has on the environment

  5. Re: BROKEN CHAIN POINTERS

    Ditto on the Adager or DBGeneral products; they make life a whole lot
    easier.

    However, if you have the disc space, you can do a file equate of
    DBUNLOAD;DEV=DISC and unload/load from disc.

    Also, if you have the RAPID (DICTDBU, etc) you can unload/load single
    sets to/from disc.

    Jack
    1. Use a 3rd party tool like Adager or DBGeneral to do an analysis and
    repair.
    2. Unload the dataset and reload.

    HP never provided any tools with the image database, hence the unload
    and load. This is slow and with that type of volume could take days,
    depending on your tape technology. I personally prefer Adager as I have
    always had good results and excellent support from them.

    Hope your day gets better!

    Dave

    Friedrich Harasleben wrote:
    > Dear database experts
    >
    > we do have a problem on one of our big datasets (>7000000 entries)
    >
    > FIND risikonummer = "9CW2D5"
    > BROKEN CHAIN POINTERS
    > 0 ENTRIES QUALIFIED
    >
    > the problem results in aborting one of our COGBNOS/QDESIGN programs
    > with "data access error".
    >
    > - how can I find out which pointers are broken
    > - how can I fix the problem
    >
    > thanks for any suggestions
    > friedrich
    >
    > Mag. Friedrich Harasleben
    > stv. Leiter IT & Operations
    >
    > Coface Austria Holding AG
    > Coface Central Europe Holding AG
    > Stubenring 24
    > 1010 Wien
    > Austria
    > T: +43/1/515 54-300
    > F: +43/1/515 54-50300
    > www.coface.at
    > www.cofacecentraleurope.com
    >
    > Firmenbuchnr. FN 65493 p (Coface Austria) Firmenbuchnr. FN 043204 k
    > (Coface Central Europe) Handelsgericht Wien
    >
    > This e-mail message may contain confidential and/or privileged
    > information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received
    > this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy

    > this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of
    > the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.
    >
    > P Before printing, please think about the impact it has on the
    > environment

  6. Re: BROKEN CHAIN POINTERS

    I'd say the best thing to do would be to use Adager or DBGeneral (fast, efficient, reliable). These tools will check the integrity of the whole database and fix any other problems there may be.

    If you were to decide to unload/load single datasets, you could also use Suprtool.

    Thanks...François

    1. Use a 3rd party tool like Adager or DBGeneral to do an analysis and
    repair.
    2. Unload the dataset and reload.

    HP never provided any tools with the image database, hence the unload
    and load. This is slow and with that type of volume could take days,
    depending on your tape technology. I personally prefer Adager as I have
    always had good results and excellent support from them.

    Hope your day gets better!

    Dave

    Friedrich Harasleben wrote:
    > Dear database experts
    >
    > we do have a problem on one of our big datasets (>7000000 entries)
    >
    > FIND risikonummer = "9CW2D5"
    > BROKEN CHAIN POINTERS
    > 0 ENTRIES QUALIFIED
    >
    > the problem results in aborting one of our COGBNOS/QDESIGN programs
    > with "data access error".
    >
    > - how can I find out which pointers are broken
    > - how can I fix the problem
    >
    > thanks for any suggestions
    > friedrich
    >
    > Mag. Friedrich Harasleben
    > stv. Leiter IT & Operations
    >
    > Coface Austria Holding AG
    > Coface Central Europe Holding AG
    > Stubenring 24
    > 1010 Wien
    > Austria
    > T: +43/1/515 54-300
    > F: +43/1/515 54-50300
    > www.coface.at
    > www.cofacecentraleurope.com
    >
    > Firmenbuchnr. FN 65493 p (Coface Austria) Firmenbuchnr. FN 043204 k
    > (Coface Central Europe) Handelsgericht Wien
    >
    > This e-mail message may contain confidential and/or privileged
    > information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received
    > this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy

    > this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of
    > the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.
    >
    > P Before printing, please think about the impact it has on the
    > environment

    Remarque - Cette transmission est pour l'usage exclusif du ou des destinataires indiqués et peut contenir de l'information confidentielle ou protégée. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire indiqué, veuillez supprimer cette transmission ainsi que tout fichier joint et aviser l'expéditeur par courriel immédiatement. Toute révision, utilisation, divulgation ou distribution non autorisée est interdite.

    Notice: This transmission is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this transmission and any attachments and notify the sender by return email immediately. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.

  7. Re: BROKEN CHAIN POINTERS

    Friedrich,
    Haven't seen one of these in some time!!
    Use Adager or DBgenrl to fix this!
    Thanks,
    Jeff Kubler
    At 01:30 AM 4/9/2008, Friedrich Harasleben wrote:
    >Dear database experts
    >
    >we do have a problem on one of our big datasets (>7000000 entries)
    >
    >FIND risikonummer = "9CW2D5"
    >BROKEN CHAIN POINTERS
    >0 ENTRIES QUALIFIED
    >
    >the problem results in aborting one of our COGBNOS/QDESIGN programs with
    >"data access error".
    >
    >- how can I find out which pointers are broken
    >- how can I fix the problem
    >
    >thanks for any suggestions
    >friedrich
    >
    >Mag. Friedrich Harasleben
    >stv. Leiter IT & Operations
    >
    >Coface Austria Holding AG
    >Coface Central Europe Holding AG
    >Stubenring 24
    >1010 Wien
    >Austria
    >T: +43/1/515 54-300
    >F: +43/1/515 54-50300
    >www.coface.at
    >www.cofacecentraleurope.com
    >
    >Firmenbuchnr. FN 65493 p (Coface Austria)
    >Firmenbuchnr. FN 043204 k (Coface Central Europe)
    >Handelsgericht Wien
    >
    >This e-mail message may contain confidential and/or privileged
    >information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this
    >e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this
    >e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the
    >material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.
    >
    >P Before printing, please think about the impact it has on the environment

    Jeff Kubler
    Kubler Consulting, Inc.
    541-745-7457
    jeff@kublerconsulting.com
    www.kublerconsulting.com

  8. Re: BROKEN CHAIN POINTERS

    If you go the dbunload route (to tape or disk) I think you need to take the
    'serial' option. Sorry, but a little shaky on the exact syntax -- haven't
    used it since about 1982.

    It is possible write your own routine to fix this stuff, if you don't have the
    tools others have suggested. Did it once, long ago, back before HP introduced
    ILR.

    If you feel fancy....
    Start by writing a program to read forward along the chain, counting records
    read successfully, and remembering the address of the last record read. Then
    do another find and read backwards. If you are really lucky, there will be
    just one clean break -- you'll reach a point where you have read the exact
    number of records that query "form " says you should have, and
    the backward pointer of the record you just read (going backwards) matches the
    record number of the last one you read going forwards. At this point, once
    you make note of what was in that record, you *might* be able to fix things
    with a dbdelet / dbput, but that isn't the way I went, and I don't know if
    Image would fix things or just move the break up a notch -- any experts know
    what Image would do in that case?
    Assuming you didn't fix it above, then enhance your program to write each
    record it reads to a disk file. If you want to keep it simple, just skip the
    1st step and write a program that does a sequential read thru the whole data
    set.
    Once that is tested, enhance to delete each record is reads.
    Then read the disk file and do dbputs. If the sequence of the records is an
    issue, sort to taste first.

    ----------------------

    FWIW, I went the fancy forward/backward route because I was starting from a
    pair of programs that would call dbinfo (a lot) copy every record of every set
    (except automatic masters) to flat files, and then re-fill the data base after
    the appropriate dbutil/dbschema commands rebuild it empty. Sort of a Cobol
    version of the ancient Fortran db2disk & disk2db. So I just added a branch
    telling it what to do when it hit a bad pointer while reading forward on one
    data set.
    And if you have such a utility, and a little creativity, it can be really
    useful. If your data-bases aren't too huge, and your system has some slack
    time overnite or weekends, you can get by for decades without dbunload,
    Adager, any other data base tool. 2.6 decades in my case.