Restore of crashed disc drive - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Restore of crashed disc drive - Hewlett Packard ; Hi folks, With all this talk of crashed disc drives wouldn't you know it, the 38GB drive on my 5 year old Mac PowerBook G4 just crashed and the local dealer said they(the tech at the dealer) could recover all ...

  1. Restore of crashed disc drive

    Hi folks,
    With all this talk of crashed disc drives wouldn't you know it, the
    38GB drive on my 5 year old Mac PowerBook G4 just crashed and the local
    dealer said they(the tech at the dealer) could recover all the files
    except the mail files and of course it has been awhile since I backed
    it up. He said they have access to a service that will almost guarantee
    the files to be recovered, but the cost is $2700. Has anyone had any
    experience with recovering data and what their costs might have been?

    Thanks for any input and yes of course a few pokes in the ribs for
    not backing up my files daily are expected.....

    Eric Sand

  2. Re: Restore of crashed disc drive

    Eric,

    We have used a company called Drive Savers and found them to be fair and
    reasonably priced. The price you quoted below seems to be in the ballpark of
    what they would charge, assuming they retrieved your data. However, they
    only charge you a relatively small fee (I think about $400) to attempt the
    recovery. If they don't get any data that is all you pay and if they get
    data back the fee is determined by how much data they retrieved. There web
    site is: http://www.drivesavers.com/.

    Josh

    With all this talk of crashed disc drives wouldn't you know it, the
    38GB drive on my 5 year old Mac PowerBook G4 just crashed and the local
    dealer said they(the tech at the dealer) could recover all the files
    except the mail files and of course it has been awhile since I backed
    it up. He said they have access to a service that will almost guarantee
    the files to be recovered, but the cost is $2700. Has anyone had any
    experience with recovering data and what their costs might have been?

    Thanks for any input and yes of course a few pokes in the ribs for
    not backing up my files daily are expected.....

    Eric Sand

  3. Re: Restore of crashed disc drive

    Down here in Oz we have had recourse to disc recovery services a couple of times lately. Initially there was only one service, but now there are more we play them against each other for price. Last time we did a laptop XP HDDit cost A$1250 IIRC. They generally estimate recovering 90-95% of the files and come in about there. Some files recovered look ok until you open themand get failures - mostly XLS files in our case. Dont know why a Mac disc would be harder to do, but anything iis possible.
    jp