Download/Install Problem - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Download/Install Problem - Hewlett Packard ; I'm running (factory installed) Vista Ultimate 64-bit on a new (3 month old) HP w1907 desktop computer. HP Update recommends downloading and installing "NVIDIA Unified Graphic Update", 74.4 MB, taking an estimated 4.3 hours on my dial-up connection. Reason given ...

  1. Download/Install Problem

    I'm running (factory installed) Vista Ultimate 64-bit on a
    new (3 month old) HP w1907 desktop computer. HP Update
    recommends downloading and installing "NVIDIA Unified
    Graphic Update", 74.4 MB, taking an estimated 4.3 hours on
    my dial-up connection. Reason given has something to do
    with recovery from sleep mode - which I never use.
    Nevertheless, I decided to download and install the update.

    I have tried this 4 times, and each time, after 4-6 hours of
    running time (I let it run while I sleep or am away from the
    house for several hours) the message is that
    "Download/installation failed", with no further explanation.
    My dial-up connection has not failed during that time, since
    my computer has remained on-line in each of the 4 instances.

    (I have not contacted the HP Technical Support staff with
    this issue, since it has never been able to understand and
    reply meaningfully to questions about 3 other issues.)

    Any enlightenment appreciated. (I have no idea what NVIDIA
    Unified Graphic software is, or what it does, but my
    computer seems to be running just fine.)

    Many thanks.

    --
    ----------
    CWLee

  2. Re: Download/Install Problem

    Don't bother with the download over dialup, which can be notoriously unreliable,
    even if the connection is not dropped. All it takes is some noise on the line
    to kill a download.

    "NVIDIA Unified Graphic software" is nVidia's approach to packaging its driver
    software, in essence, one size fits all chips.

    If you have a flash memory stick, go to a local public library to download the
    nVidia update... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 10:53:59 -0700, "CWLee" wrote:

    >I'm running (factory installed) Vista Ultimate 64-bit on a
    >new (3 month old) HP w1907 desktop computer. HP Update
    >recommends downloading and installing "NVIDIA Unified
    >Graphic Update", 74.4 MB, taking an estimated 4.3 hours on
    >my dial-up connection. Reason given has something to do
    >with recovery from sleep mode - which I never use.
    >Nevertheless, I decided to download and install the update.
    >
    >I have tried this 4 times, and each time, after 4-6 hours of
    >running time (I let it run while I sleep or am away from the
    >house for several hours) the message is that
    >"Download/installation failed", with no further explanation.
    >My dial-up connection has not failed during that time, since
    >my computer has remained on-line in each of the 4 instances.
    >
    >(I have not contacted the HP Technical Support staff with
    >this issue, since it has never been able to understand and
    >reply meaningfully to questions about 3 other issues.)
    >
    >Any enlightenment appreciated. (I have no idea what NVIDIA
    >Unified Graphic software is, or what it does, but my
    >computer seems to be running just fine.)
    >
    >Many thanks.

  3. Re: Download/Install Problem

    "Ben Myers" wrote

    > If you have a flash memory stick, go to a local public
    > library to download the
    > nVidia update... Ben Myers

    I do have some flash memory sticks, but to what website
    would I go to seek the update, and how would I
    designate/describe it?

    Many thanks.

  4. Re: Download/Install Problem

    On Apr 7, 2:02 am, "CWLee" wrote:
    > "Ben Myers" wrote
    >
    > > If you have a flash memory stick, go to a local public
    > > library to download the
    > > nVidia update... Ben Myers

    > I do have some flash memory sticks, but to what website
    > would I go to seek the update, and how would I
    > designate/describe it?
    >
    > Many thanks.

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...4.74_whql.html

+ Reply to Thread