    From: Ray Shahan
    Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 11:20 AM
    To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    Subject: Is a DLT drive slower than a DAT drive?

    Hi all,

    Our backups are taking longer since we changed to DLT from
    DAT (about 3/4 months ago). We've not had a huge increase in business
    (thus more data), so I wanted to rule out that a DLT is slower than a
    DAT.

    Thanks, and have a great weekend!

    Raymond Shahan

    Life is not a journey to the grave with the
    intention of arriving safely in a pretty and
    well preserved body, but rather to skid in
    broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
    and loudly proclaiming:

    -- WOW!!! What a Ride!!!

  2. Re: Is a DLT drive slower than a DAT drive?

    First of all, you need to tell us what model HP3000 you have. It is very
    critical to know if you have an HSC machine (9xx) or a PCI machine (Axxx or
    Nxxxx). If you have PCI, we need to know if it's the crippled version or
    the real one.

    Next you need to tell us what model DLT (4000, 7000 or 8000, DLT-1, SDLT,
    etc.) you are using. You also need to tell us which tapes you are using in
    your DLT drive (DLTIII, DLTIIIXT, DLTIV, etc). We also need to know how the
    DLT is connected to the 3000 and what, if anything, else is connected on
    that chain.

    Lastly we need to know what DDS (DDS-2, DDS-3, DDS-4 etc) drive you are
    comparing to, how that was connected and what tapes (120meter, 125 meter,
    150meter, etc) were used in that drive.

    With that information, we can make a proper diagnosis of the issue.

    Denys