Blue screen of Death??? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Blue screen of Death??? - Hewlett Packard ; Well, it appears that I am getting re-occurrences of what I call the Blue Screen of Death. My Compaq R4012US notebook gives me some error messages that say "the system has performed an illegal operation and must shut down" And ...

  1. Blue screen of Death???

    Well, it appears that I am getting re-occurrences of what I call the Blue
    Screen of Death. My Compaq R4012US notebook gives me some error messages
    that say "the system has performed an illegal operation and must shut down"
    And shut down it does.

    Then it will restart, but will quickly flash a blue screen filled with
    commentary by very quickly, and then die again. I've gotten it back up a few
    times, but I am afraid to even try now.

    My son, who knows more about these things than I will ever know, said there
    is an outside chance that Compaq may have given me a "restore Disk" and by
    running that, I might be able to save the computer. I surely do not want to
    have to buy another computer right now.

    I searched and I can find a couple of E-Machines restore disks for another
    computer, but not one for this one. The notebook is at least three or so
    years old, and I probably tossed the disk out by mistake.

    Any ideas; help; or where to get a "vonder" restore
    disk? thanks Rich

  2. Re: Blue screen of Death???

    Recurring BSODs are generally caused by failing or failed hardware. Here are
    two possibilities:

    The CPU cooling fan and ventilation area are clogged with dust and dirt, and the
    CPU overheats, loses its mind and causes the BSOD.

    The hard drive has developed some bad sectors, and the system does a BSOD when
    it reads in the code for some driver module. Because the driver is corrupted,
    an instruction within the driver goes off to never-never land, causing the BSOD.

    These are the two most likely causes, but there are others. Can you see the
    BSOD screen long enough to read the stop code? That will give us a clue.

    I would clean out the cooling fan thoroughly and run diagnostics on the hard
    drive before doing anything else. Usually when a computer shows up here needing
    work, I clean out the dust and dirt, then run hardware diagnostics before
    messing with the software... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 15:17:57 -0500, "rich" wrote:

    >Well, it appears that I am getting re-occurrences of what I call the Blue
    >Screen of Death. My Compaq R4012US notebook gives me some error messages
    >that say "the system has performed an illegal operation and must shut down"
    >And shut down it does.
    >
    >Then it will restart, but will quickly flash a blue screen filled with
    >commentary by very quickly, and then die again. I've gotten it back up a few
    >times, but I am afraid to even try now.
    >
    >My son, who knows more about these things than I will ever know, said there
    >is an outside chance that Compaq may have given me a "restore Disk" and by
    >running that, I might be able to save the computer. I surely do not want to
    >have to buy another computer right now.
    >
    >I searched and I can find a couple of E-Machines restore disks for another
    >computer, but not one for this one. The notebook is at least three or so
    >years old, and I probably tossed the disk out by mistake.
    >
    >Any ideas; help; or where to get a "vonder" restore
    > disk? thanks Rich

  3. Re: Blue screen of Death???

    Ben, thanks very much....No, the blue screen just flashes by very quickly.
    However, the over-heating clue might help. I often use the notebook while
    it is resting on my lap. Perhaps that is forcing it to over-heat, which
    would explain why the BSOD only shows up sporadically. I'll look over the
    cooling vents and use a vacuum on them. Then, I'll try to run it sitting on
    a table, perhaps with a few small pads under the "feet" to see if additional
    cooling might do the trick Thanks very much, rich

    "Ben Myers" wrote in message
    > Recurring BSODs are generally caused by failing or failed hardware. Here
    > are
    > two possibilities:
    >
    > The CPU cooling fan and ventilation area are clogged with dust and dirt,
    > and the
    > CPU overheats, loses its mind and causes the BSOD.
    >
    > The hard drive has developed some bad sectors, and the system does a BSOD
    > when
    > it reads in the code for some driver module. Because the driver is
    > corrupted,
    > an instruction within the driver goes off to never-never land, causing the
    > BSOD.
    >
    > These are the two most likely causes, but there are others. Can you see
    > the
    > BSOD screen long enough to read the stop code? That will give us a clue.
    >
    > I would clean out the cooling fan thoroughly and run diagnostics on the
    > hard
    > drive before doing anything else. Usually when a computer shows up here
    > needing
    > work, I clean out the dust and dirt, then run hardware diagnostics before
    > messing with the software... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 15:17:57 -0500, "rich" wrote:
    >
    >>Well, it appears that I am getting re-occurrences of what I call the Blue
    >>Screen of Death. My Compaq R4012US notebook gives me some error messages
    >>that say "the system has performed an illegal operation and must shut
    >>down"
    >>And shut down it does.
    >>
    >>Then it will restart, but will quickly flash a blue screen filled with
    >>commentary by very quickly, and then die again. I've gotten it back up a
    >>few
    >>times, but I am afraid to even try now.
    >>
    >>My son, who knows more about these things than I will ever know, said
    >>there
    >>is an outside chance that Compaq may have given me a "restore Disk" and by
    >>running that, I might be able to save the computer. I surely do not want
    >>have to buy another computer right now.
    >>
    >>I searched and I can find a couple of E-Machines restore disks for another
    >>computer, but not one for this one. The notebook is at least three or so
    >>years old, and I probably tossed the disk out by mistake.
    >>
    >>Any ideas; help; or where to get a "vonder" restore
    >> disk? thanks Rich

  4. Re: Blue screen of Death???

    rich wrote:
    > Ben, thanks very much....No, the blue screen just flashes by very
    > quickly. However, the over-heating clue might help. I often use the
    > notebook while it is resting on my lap. Perhaps that is forcing it to
    > over-heat, which would explain why the BSOD only shows up sporadically.
    > I'll look over the cooling vents and use a vacuum on them. Then, I'll
    > try to run it sitting on a table, perhaps with a few small pads under
    > the "feet" to see if additional cooling might do the trick Thanks very
    > much, rich

    BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THAT VACUUM!

    It's easy -- far easier than you might think -- to bend the
    thin metal fins, permanently destroying their cooling efficiency,
    and even to wreck a fan by forcing the fan to spin faster than
    spec and with weird imbalances from the turbulence.

    The safest thing is -- if the fan can be seen through one of the
    vents -- keep the fan from spinning, and use some canned air to
    gently blow out any dust. But a vacuum? I sure wouldn't!

  5. Re: Blue screen of Death???

    Well, maybe I made it worse... but I doubt it. After gentle vacuuming (
    ??? ) I fired her up and she ran slow but OK for about a half hour.

    Next time I fire her up, I'll pay particular attention to the fan and see if
    I even hear it running at all.

    Then, everything locked up solid. Perhaps I have a re-set date back a few
    weeks that I can go to and see if it is something that crept into the
    software during that time. After it cools for while, I'll try that. I am
    just fumbling around here.... So any additional comments or help would be
    appreciated. thanks Rich

  6. Re: Blue screen of Death???

    >So any additional comments or help would be
    > appreciated. thanks Rich

    Make a Memtest bootdisk and let it run on your computer for several
    days.
    http://www.memtest.org/

    If you get any errors from Memtest then you are having a hardware
    problem.

  7. Re: Blue screen of Death???

    Seems that now the computer simply stops doing anything after it runs for 15
    minutes or so. No announcement of troubles; no Blue screen...everything
    grinds to halt with the page being displayed. The fan is continuing to run
    at this time, though.

    I tried to do a restore, but ...even though I went all of the way back to
    Jan 2 ( three different tries) it says..."Can't restore, no changes have
    been made to this computer??" I don't understand that. Then, I tried to
    run a full scan, but it stopped long before it got through that. I ran a
    full scan only a week or so ago.

    Any other ideas would be very much appreciated. Sounds like over-heated
    hardware now, eh? thanks Rich

  8. Re: Blue screen of Death???

    rich wrote:

    > Seems that now the computer simply stops doing anything after it runs for
    > 15 minutes or so. No announcement of troubles; no Blue screen...everything
    > grinds to halt with the page being displayed. The fan is continuing to run
    > at this time, though.
    >
    > I tried to do a restore, but ...even though I went all of the way back to
    > Jan 2 ( three different tries) it says..."Can't restore, no changes have
    > been made to this computer??" I don't understand that. Then, I tried to
    > run a full scan, but it stopped long before it got through that. I ran a
    > full scan only a week or so ago.
    >
    > Any other ideas would be very much appreciated. Sounds like over-heated
    > hardware now, eh? thanks Rich

    One way to rule out the software is to boot the computer from a live Linux
    disk. ( Ubuntu is an example.) If the computer runs fine, then the hardware
    is probably OK.

  9. Re: Blue screen of Death???

    Joe,, OK I am a 68 year old non-computer guy. How would I get a Linux disk?
    thanks rich

    "joe" wrote in message news:ft834p$2fc$1@aioe.org...
    > rich wrote:
    >
    >> Seems that now the computer simply stops doing anything after it runs for
    >> 15 minutes or so. No announcement of troubles; no Blue
    >> screen...everything
    >> grinds to halt with the page being displayed. The fan is continuing to
    >> run
    >> at this time, though.
    >>
    >> I tried to do a restore, but ...even though I went all of the way back to
    >> Jan 2 ( three different tries) it says..."Can't restore, no changes have
    >> been made to this computer??" I don't understand that. Then, I tried to
    >> run a full scan, but it stopped long before it got through that. I ran a
    >> full scan only a week or so ago.
    >>
    >> Any other ideas would be very much appreciated. Sounds like
    >> over-heated
    >> hardware now, eh? thanks Rich

    > One way to rule out the software is to boot the computer from a live Linux
    > disk. ( Ubuntu is an example.) If the computer runs fine, then the
    > hardware
    > is probably OK.

  10. Re: Blue screen of Death???

    rich wrote:

    > Joe,, OK I am a 68 year old non-computer guy. How would I get a Linux
    > disk? thanks rich

    Download an image from here and burn to a CD
    http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

    or,
    Have one shipped to you
    https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

    or,
    go to a major bookstore and look for a computer book for Ubuntu (that
    includes a disk), or look at computer magazines for one with an Ubuntu
    disk.

    I suggest Ubuntu vs. others as they generally come as a 'live' CD.

    "Live CD" means that you can put it in your drive, and boot the PC from the
    CD. It runs without having to install anything to your hard disk.

    The first two options are very low cost, the bookstore option will cost
    $10 - $50, depending upon what you buy.

    > "joe" wrote in message news:ft834p$2fc$1@aioe.org...
    >> rich wrote:
    >>
    >>> Seems that now the computer simply stops doing anything after it runs
    >>> for 15 minutes or so. No announcement of troubles; no Blue
    >>> screen...everything
    >>> grinds to halt with the page being displayed. The fan is continuing to
    >>> run
    >>> at this time, though.
    >>>
    >>> I tried to do a restore, but ...even though I went all of the way back
    >>> to Jan 2 ( three different tries) it says..."Can't restore, no changes
    >>> have
    >>> been made to this computer??" I don't understand that. Then, I tried
    >>> to run a full scan, but it stopped long before it got through that. I
    >>> ran a full scan only a week or so ago.
    >>>
    >>> Any other ideas would be very much appreciated. Sounds like
    >>> over-heated
    >>> hardware now, eh? thanks Rich

    >> One way to rule out the software is to boot the computer from a live
    >> Linux disk. ( Ubuntu is an example.) If the computer runs fine, then the
    >> hardware
    >> is probably OK.

  11. Re: Blue screen of Death???

    Joe, so far you are a genius. I downloaded the Linux disk ( big file
    there! wow). I put the disk into my notebook and it booted up fine. It has
    run for 15 minutes or so . I'll watch it for another hour. If it keeps
    going, then my problem was software ?? Right? and if that is so...is
    there any reason I cannot just learn this Linux and use it instead of MS
    Windows XP. Thanks a lot ( so far) ha ha Rich

    p.s. any LINKs to where an old guy can learn more about Linux ... and do I
    need something called Firefox to use for emails and programs?? thanks,
    again. RG

    "joe" wrote in message news:ft8649$ctu$1@aioe.org...
    > rich wrote:
    >
    >> Joe,, OK I am a 68 year old non-computer guy. How would I get a Linux
    >> disk? thanks rich
    >>

    > Download an image from here and burn to a CD
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download
    >
    > or,
    > Have one shipped to you
    > https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
    >
    > or,
    > go to a major bookstore and look for a computer book for Ubuntu (that
    > includes a disk), or look at computer magazines for one with an Ubuntu
    > disk.
    >
    > I suggest Ubuntu vs. others as they generally come as a 'live' CD.
    >
    > "Live CD" means that you can put it in your drive, and boot the PC from
    > the
    > CD. It runs without having to install anything to your hard disk.
    >
    > The first two options are very low cost, the bookstore option will cost
    > $10 - $50, depending upon what you buy.

    >>> One way to rule out the software is to boot the computer from a live
    >>> Linux disk. ( Ubuntu is an example.) If the computer runs fine, then the
    >>> hardware
    >>> is probably OK.

  12. Re: Blue screen of Death???

    On Apr 5, 3:41 pm, "rich" wrote:
    > Joe, so far you are a genius. I downloaded the Linux disk ( big file
    > there! wow). I put the disk into my notebook and it booted up fine. It has
    > run for 15 minutes or so . I'll watch it for another hour. If it keeps
    > going, then my problem was software ?? Right? and if that is so...is
    > there any reason I cannot just learn this Linux and use it instead of MS
    > Windows XP. Thanks a lot ( so far) ha ha Rich
    >
    > p.s. any LINKs to where an old guy can learn more about Linux ... and do I
    > need something called Firefox to use for emails and programs?? thanks,
    > again. RG

    Firefox is a web-browser. It is better than MS Internet Explorer at
    pretty much everything, so I suggest using it even if you continue to
    use Windows.

    There is lots of documentation about Linux on the net. Looking for its
    entry in Wikipedia may help to summarize things for you.

    If you really want to "test" the hardware then I suggest using
    something like Memtest or Prime95. I don't really see what "using" a
    Linux disk will prove if you don't know how to use it and aren't
    really "doing anything" with it.

  13. Re: Blue screen of Death???

    Also, you could start reviewing all programs that are set to
    automatically start with Windows, and disable anything that is not
    needed. Back when I was using Windows Mellinium, I would notice that
    heavy loads of unneeded startup programs would nearly cripple that
    poor old eMachine.

  14. Re: Blue screen of Death???

    Also, you could start reviewing all programs that are set to
    automatically start with Windows, and disable anything that is not
    needed. Back when I was using Windows Mellinium, I would notice that
    heavy loads of unneeded startup programs would nearly cripple that
    poor old eMachine.

  15. Re: Blue screen of Death???

    Using a live Linux CD provides a decent, though imperfect, overall confidence
    test for a computer. If someone buys a computer from me and wants to install
    the OS himself, I run a live Linux CD in addition to MEMTEST-86 and the hard
    drive manufacturer's diagnostics.

    In the situation cited by the OP, his system locks up periodically running
    Windows. A successful live Linux CD run for a period of time tends to isolate
    the problem to software, not hardware. And Windows often gets its knickers
    twisted up... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 12:56:32 -0700 (PDT), ShadowTek
    wrote:

    >On Apr 5, 3:41 pm, "rich" wrote:
    >> Joe, so far you are a genius. I downloaded the Linux disk ( big file
    >> there! wow). I put the disk into my notebook and it booted up fine. It has
    >> run for 15 minutes or so . I'll watch it for another hour. If it keeps
    >> going, then my problem was software ?? Right? and if that is so...is
    >> there any reason I cannot just learn this Linux and use it instead of MS
    >> Windows XP. Thanks a lot ( so far) ha ha Rich
    >>
    >> p.s. any LINKs to where an old guy can learn more about Linux ... and do I
    >> need something called Firefox to use for emails and programs?? thanks,
    >> again. RG

    >Firefox is a web-browser. It is better than MS Internet Explorer at
    >pretty much everything, so I suggest using it even if you continue to
    >use Windows.
    >
    >There is lots of documentation about Linux on the net. Looking for its
    >entry in Wikipedia may help to summarize things for you.
    >
    >If you really want to "test" the hardware then I suggest using
    >something like Memtest or Prime95. I don't really see what "using" a
    >Linux disk will prove if you don't know how to use it and aren't
    >really "doing anything" with it.

  16. Re: Blue screen of Death???

    OK So far, you guys ( especially "Joe") are better than the Geek guys at
    Best Buy!!!! The computer is still running and the "mouse-finger- pad" on
    the top works as well as it has ever worked. It was really slow and
    inconsistent when I was having the original problems.

    So, I have Linux on the computer. I want to add Firefox. I received a
    message from the Evolution Team ( a new mail reader they automatically put
    on when I downloaded the Linux disk). Since I got that, it appears that I
    am, somehow, connected to the internet. How do I download Firefox if it is
    the "browser" and I don't have a "browser " of any kind to GET to the
    internet?

    The Evolution program hasn't given me any of my mail yet, but I guess I can
    work my way through that ????( I hope). I gave it some STMP settings from
    ATT ( I have DSL via ATT), but I guess I didn't give it the right stuff.

    My question (now) is ... How do I get Firefox if I don't have a browser
    installed. Thanks very much ( p.s. should I start a new thread now)??

    regards, Rich
    ( old guy having fun with what was originally a problem! (:>)

  17. Re: Blue screen of Death???

    rich wrote:

    > OK So far, you guys ( especially "Joe") are better than the Geek guys at
    > Best Buy!!!! The computer is still running and the "mouse-finger- pad" on
    > the top works as well as it has ever worked. It was really slow and
    > inconsistent when I was having the original problems.
    >
    > So, I have Linux on the computer. I want to add Firefox. I received a
    > message from the Evolution Team ( a new mail reader they automatically put
    > on when I downloaded the Linux disk). Since I got that, it appears that I
    > am, somehow, connected to the internet. How do I download Firefox if it
    > is the "browser" and I don't have a "browser " of any kind to GET to the
    > internet?
    >
    > The Evolution program hasn't given me any of my mail yet, but I guess I
    > can work my way through that ????( I hope). I gave it some STMP settings
    > from ATT ( I have DSL via ATT), but I guess I didn't give it the right
    > stuff.
    >
    > My question (now) is ... How do I get Firefox if I don't have a browser
    > installed. Thanks very much ( p.s. should I start a new thread now)??
    >
    > regards, Rich
    > ( old guy having fun with what was originally a problem! (:>)

    If you downloaded the normal 600-700 MB file, Firefox will be there. Look at
    the top bar for the orange and blue logo. Positioning your mouse over the
    icon for a few seconds should cause the title to appear.

    Otherwise select Applications, then Internet from the top bar.

    This disk contains a lot more than just the operating system. Most of the
    disc is a variety of applications. Many are not even in the menus.

    Have Fun.

  18. Re: Blue screen of Death???

    What? You expect competence from the Geek Squad? Inexperienced. Almost
    amateurs, except that they do get paid... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 20:50:00 GMT, "rich" wrote:

    >OK So far, you guys ( especially "Joe") are better than the Geek guys at
    >Best Buy!!!! The computer is still running and the "mouse-finger- pad" on
    >the top works as well as it has ever worked. It was really slow and
    >inconsistent when I was having the original problems.
    >
    >So, I have Linux on the computer. I want to add Firefox. I received a
    >message from the Evolution Team ( a new mail reader they automatically put
    >on when I downloaded the Linux disk). Since I got that, it appears that I
    >am, somehow, connected to the internet. How do I download Firefox if it is
    >the "browser" and I don't have a "browser " of any kind to GET to the
    >internet?
    >
    >The Evolution program hasn't given me any of my mail yet, but I guess I can
    >work my way through that ????( I hope). I gave it some STMP settings from
    >ATT ( I have DSL via ATT), but I guess I didn't give it the right stuff.
    >
    >My question (now) is ... How do I get Firefox if I don't have a browser
    >installed. Thanks very much ( p.s. should I start a new thread now)??
    >
    >regards, Rich
    >( old guy having fun with what was originally a problem! (:>)

  19. Re: Blue screen of Death???

    "rich" wrote in message
    > Joe, so far you are a genius. I downloaded the Linux disk ( big file
    > there! wow). I put the disk into my notebook and it booted up fine. It
    > has run for 15 minutes or so . I'll watch it for another hour. If it
    > keeps going, then my problem was software ?? Right? and if that is
    > so...is there any reason I cannot just learn this Linux and use it instead
    > of MS Windows XP. Thanks a lot ( so far) ha ha Rich

    No reason why not at all!!!! It's easy and graphical.
    I used Linux ubuntu for years, and it does it all. It's also probably the
    easiest version for a new person (very controversial statement). Go for it!
    -Pete

+ Reply to Thread