Ray,

More information on the actual devices involved might help but generally this shouldn't happen. Might happen if the DLT and DISC are on the same channel while the DAT/DDS was on a separate one. Might also happen with large numbers of small files on semi-busy system as some DAT are better at start/stop than DLT. If you are running STORE the STATISTICS option can give a broad indication of throughput for A/B comparison.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [mailto:HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU] On Behalf Of Ray Shahan
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 9:20 AM
To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
Subject: [HP3000-L] Is a DLT drive slower than a DAT drive?

Hi all,

Our backups are taking longer since we changed to DLT from
DAT (about 3/4 months ago). We've not had a huge increase in business
(thus more data), so I wanted to rule out that a DLT is slower than a
DAT.

Thanks, and have a great weekend!

Raymond Shahan

Life is not a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in a pretty and
well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
and loudly proclaiming:

-- WOW!!! What a Ride!!!