How Do I Turn Off the Webcam? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on How Do I Turn Off the Webcam? - Hewlett Packard ; I have a HP Pavilion dv9000 notebook computer. Today, I joined a Webex meeting. As soon as I entered the meeting, the blue light next to my webcam camera turned on by itself, indicating that the camera was being used. ...

  1. How Do I Turn Off the Webcam?

    I have a HP Pavilion dv9000 notebook computer. Today, I joined a Webex
    meeting. As soon as I entered the meeting, the blue light next to my
    webcam camera turned on by itself, indicating that the camera was
    being used. I don't know if anyone was watching me or not, but to be
    safe, I tried to turn off the camera. Unfortunately, I could find no
    way to turn it off. I have a webcam icon in my taskbar which has an
    "Off" option, but clicking that did nothing.

    To get through the meeting without being seen, I put a piece of paper
    in front of the camera. Because I don't want to be surprised in the
    future, I've put a piece of tape over the camera. Obviously, this is a
    very crude solution to the problem. I'd rather find a hardware or
    software switch that turns the camera on and off.

    Is there such a switch somewhere?

    -TC

  2. Re: How Do I Turn Off the Webcam?

    TC wrote:
    > I have a HP Pavilion dv9000 notebook computer. Today, I joined a Webex
    > meeting. As soon as I entered the meeting, the blue light next to my
    > webcam camera turned on by itself, indicating that the camera was
    > being used. I don't know if anyone was watching me or not, but to be
    > safe, I tried to turn off the camera. Unfortunately, I could find no
    > way to turn it off. I have a webcam icon in my taskbar which has an
    > "Off" option, but clicking that did nothing.
    >
    > To get through the meeting without being seen, I put a piece of paper
    > in front of the camera. Because I don't want to be surprised in the
    > future, I've put a piece of tape over the camera. Obviously, this is a
    > very crude solution to the problem. I'd rather find a hardware or
    > software switch that turns the camera on and off.
    >
    > Is there such a switch somewhere?
    >
    > -TC

    Should be seen in Device Manager as an Imaging Device. Right click it
    and disable.

+ Reply to Thread