HP-50g variable scripts - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP-50g variable scripts - Hewlett Packard ; Does anyone know what the variables that allow me to have a calculated output based on the inputs on the stack is called? I'm trying to write up some scripts for me to carry out repeating calculations faster when I'm ...

  1. HP-50g variable scripts

    Does anyone know what the variables that allow me to have a calculated
    output based on the inputs on the stack is called? I'm trying to write
    up some scripts for me to carry out repeating calculations faster when
    I'm away from my computer and only with my calculator. Thanks.

  2. Re: HP-50g variable scripts

    On Apr 2, 11:07 pm, ssylee wrote:
    > Does anyone know what the variables that allow me to have a calculated
    > output based on the inputs on the stack is called? I'm trying to write
    > up some scripts for me to carry out repeating calculations faster when
    > I'm away from my computer and only with my calculator. Thanks.

    Never mind about the last question. I know that I want to get started
    on User-RPL programming on the HP-50g. However, the user's manual
    doesn't seem to be very clear on some parts and I can't find any
    understandable guides out there. Does anyone know where I can look for
    a good guide?

  3. Re: HP-50g variable scripts

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 01:07:31 -0500, ssylee wrote:

    > Does anyone know what the variables that allow me to have a calculated
    > output based on the inputs on the stack is called? I'm trying to write
    > up some scripts for me to carry out repeating calculations faster when
    > I'm away from my computer and only with my calculator. Thanks.

    Programs?

    Are you referring in particular to "User-defined functions"?

    It's not necessary to follow that style, because any program at all
    can use data from the stack; a "UDF" is basically a program
    which can be treated as a function within an algebraic formula, e.g.:

    'Stan(x,y,z)=z^2-x^2-y^2' DEFINE

    creates a program named 'Stan'
    which takes its three arguments from the stack
    and evaluates the given expression;
    when you recall the program itself to the stack,
    you will see how a "UDF" in particular looks,
    but the following simpler program could also be used:

    \<< SQ ROT SQ ROT SQ + - \>>

    [r->] [OFF]

  4. Re: HP-50g variable scripts

    On Apr 3, 12:11 am, "John H Meyers" wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 01:07:31 -0500, ssylee wrote:
    > > Does anyone know what the variables that allow me to have a calculated
    > > output based on the inputs on the stack is called? I'm trying to write
    > > up some scripts for me to carry out repeating calculations faster when
    > > I'm away from my computer and only with my calculator. Thanks.

    > Programs?
    >
    > Are you referring in particular to "User-defined functions"?
    >
    > It's not necessary to follow that style, because any program at all
    > can use data from the stack; a "UDF" is basically a program
    > which can be treated as a function within an algebraic formula, e.g.:
    >
    > 'Stan(x,y,z)=z^2-x^2-y^2' DEFINE
    >
    > creates a program named 'Stan'
    > which takes its three arguments from the stack
    > and evaluates the given expression;
    > when you recall the program itself to the stack,
    > you will see how a "UDF" in particular looks,
    > but the following simpler program could also be used:
    >
    > \<< SQ ROT SQ ROT SQ + - \>>
    >
    > [r->] [OFF]

    Thanks for your help. One more question: Do you find it more
    inconvenient to type up the << >> programs on a computer before
    flashing them onto the calculator? I find typing on the calculator
    quite slow and it drains my batteries fairly quickly.

  5. Re: HP-50g variable scripts

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 ssylee wrote:

    > I want to get started on User-RPL programming on the HP-50g.
    > However, the user's manual doesn't seem to be very clear on some parts
    > and I can't find any understandable guides out there.
    > Does anyone know where I can look for a good guide?

    IMO, HP wrote a bit better for the HP48G;
    programming in UserRPL is still pretty much the same:

    http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?que...g+series+guide

    Also Chapters 1 & 2 of the Advanced Users' Reference (AUR)
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su.../c00554621.pdf

    Training guides?
    http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/down...0gPDFfiles.zip

    > Do you find it more inconvenient to type up the << >> programs
    > on a computer before flashing them onto the calculator?
    > I find typing on the calculator quite slow
    > and it drains my batteries fairly quickly.

    If you are near an electric outlet, and have a power supply
    which provides a USB output, you can connect your USB cord to it,
    and the HP50G calculator will run on that power instead
    (whereas the 49G+ will not).

    UserRPL programs can be typed as text on a computer,
    and transferred to the calculator using the transfer software provided.

    Some people like to use a computer editor made for the calculator,
    others (like me) use any Notepad-like editor, representing the
    special non-ascii 8-bit characters with 7-bit ascii strings
    that the calculator can interpret in their place, e.g. \<< and \>>

    The HP file transfer software makes these "translations"
    while transferring files, or one can do it via small programs
    if the files are instead stored on an SD card.

    My own battery seems to have just run out,
    so it looks as if my brain will automatically shut down now.

    Best wishes.

    [r->] [OFF]

+ Reply to Thread