HP-50g quick reference?? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP-50g quick reference?? - Hewlett Packard ; I recently bought an HP-50g. Compared with my trusty 48sx, it's dazzlingly fast, has a very clear display, and is full of features. Sadly, also compared with the 48sx, the documentation is abysmal. One thing the SX had, neatly stashed ...

  1. HP-50g quick reference??

    I recently bought an HP-50g. Compared with my trusty 48sx, it's
    dazzlingly fast, has a very clear display, and is full of features.
    Sadly, also compared with the 48sx, the documentation is abysmal.

    One thing the SX had, neatly stashed in its soft case, was a complete
    command summary, listing commands by name, along with their stack
    effects. As long as you were familiar with the command, this was
    really handy when programming. It was also helpful spotting less
    familiar commands so you could get out the reference manual and get to
    know them.

    For the 50g, with its >700 commands, this list would be even more
    useful, even if it wouldn't fit in the case. Has anyone put together
    such a list for the 50g as a PDF file or some such?

    Failing that, any suggestions on extracting the complete list of
    command names from the calculator? Getting CAT's output in ASCII
    would at least save me *some* typing, and would be less error prone
    too.

    Have fun,

    Robert.
    --
    Robert Swan | No, not the antarctic adventurer.
    swan.r.l@gmail.com | No, not the Canberra porn monger.
    | Yes, that's right, the boring one.

  2. Re: HP-50g quick reference??

    On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:47:10 +1000, roberts@athlonx2.gville (Robert
    Swan) wrote:

    >I recently bought an HP-50g. Compared with my trusty 48sx, it's
    >dazzlingly fast, has a very clear display, and is full of features.
    >Sadly, also compared with the 48sx, the documentation is abysmal.
    >
    >One thing the SX had, neatly stashed in its soft case, was a complete
    >command summary, listing commands by name, along with their stack
    >effects. As long as you were familiar with the command, this was
    >really handy when programming. It was also helpful spotting less
    >familiar commands so you could get out the reference manual and get to
    >know them.
    >
    >For the 50g, with its >700 commands, this list would be even more
    >useful, even if it wouldn't fit in the case. Has anyone put together
    >such a list for the 50g as a PDF file or some such?
    >
    >Failing that, any suggestions on extracting the complete list of
    >command names from the calculator? Getting CAT's output in ASCII
    >would at least save me *some* typing, and would be less error prone
    >too.
    >
    >Have fun,
    >
    >Robert.

    http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=hlp

    Damir

  3. Re: HP-50g quick reference??

    On Apr 1, 7:47*pm, robe...@athlonx2.gville (Robert Swan) wrote:
    > I recently bought an HP-50g. *Compared with my trusty 48sx, it's
    > dazzlingly fast, has a very clear display, and is full of features.
    > Sadly, also compared with the 48sx, the documentation is abysmal.
    >
    > One thing the SX had, neatly stashed in its soft case, was a complete
    > command summary, listing commands by name, along with their stack
    > effects. *As long as you were familiar with the command, this was
    > really handy when programming. *It was also helpful spotting less
    > familiar commands so you could get out the reference manual and get to
    > know them.
    >
    > For the 50g, with its >700 commands, this list would be even more
    > useful, even if it wouldn't fit in the case. *Has anyone put together
    > such a list for the 50g as a PDF file or some such?
    >
    > Failing that, any suggestions on extracting the complete list of
    > command names from the calculator? *Getting CAT's output in ASCII
    > would at least save me *some* typing, and would be less error prone
    > too.
    >
    > Have fun,
    >
    > Robert.
    > --
    > Robert Swan * * * * * * | No, not the antarctic adventurer.
    > swan....@gmail.com * *| No, not the Canberra porn monger.
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * | Yes, that's right, the boring one.

    I agree withg damir's suggestion of hlp49, which provides a nice on-
    calc description of the vast majority of the UserRPL commands,
    although it lacks many of the CAS functions, as the calc has built-in
    documentation for those. Warning though that IMHO hlp49 is not worth
    using you use the SD card version, which obviously requires an SD
    card. (even a small one is fine, I'm using a fairly old 64 MB card
    with no issues, and I have hlp64's files as well as the SDiag files
    (which contain information about SystemRPL commands) and still have
    plenty of space on the card for things like backups. )

    However, it sounds like what you might really want is a list of
    commands along with a stack diagram for each.
    It should be possible to create such a file from the userRPL section
    of Carsten Dominik's database.

  4. Re: HP-50g quick reference??

    On Apr 2, 9:42 pm, username localhost
    wrote:
    > On Apr 1, 7:47 pm, robe...@athlonx2.gville (Robert Swan) wrote:
    >

    > > I recently bought an HP-50g. Compared with my trusty 48sx, it's
    > > dazzlingly fast, has a very clear display, and is full of features.
    > > Sadly, also compared with the 48sx, the documentation is abysmal.

    > > One thing the SX had, neatly stashed in its soft case, was a complete
    > > command summary, listing commands by name, along with their stack
    > > effects. As long as you were familiar with the command, this was
    > > really handy when programming. It was also helpful spotting less
    > > familiar commands so you could get out the reference manual and get to
    > > know them.

    > > For the 50g, with its >700 commands, this list would be even more
    > > useful, even if it wouldn't fit in the case. Has anyone put together
    > > such a list for the 50g as a PDF file or some such?

    > > Failing that, any suggestions on extracting the complete list of
    > > command names from the calculator? Getting CAT's output in ASCII
    > > would at least save me *some* typing, and would be less error prone
    > > too.

    > > Have fun,

    > > Robert.
    > > --
    > > Robert Swan | No, not the antarctic adventurer.
    > > swan....@gmail.com | No, not the Canberra porn monger.
    > > | Yes, that's right, the boring one.

    > I agree withg damir's suggestion of hlp49, which provides a nice on-
    > calc description of the vast majority of the UserRPL commands,
    > although it lacks many of the CAS functions, as the calc has built-in
    > documentation for those. Warning though that IMHO hlp49 is not worth
    > using you use the SD card version, which obviously requires an SD
    > card. (even a small one is fine, I'm using a fairly old 64 MB card
    > with no issues, and I have hlp64's files as well as the SDiag files
    > (which contain information about SystemRPL commands) and still have
    > plenty of space on the card for things like backups. )
    >
    > However, it sounds like what you might really want is a list of
    > commands along with a stack diagram for each.
    > It should be possible to create such a file from the userRPL section
    > of Carsten Dominik's database.

    Aha. I have found what you want. The spreadsheet available at
    http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=5265 contains what you want.
    I've created a cut down PDF file based on that which will be much more
    useful to you. I will send the PDF to you (it may take a day or so
    before I get the chance).

  5. Re: HP-50g quick reference??

    On Apr 2, 7:47 am, robe...@athlonx2.gville (Robert Swan) wrote:
    > I recently bought an HP-50g. Compared with my trusty 48sx, it's
    > dazzlingly fast, has a very clear display, and is full of features.
    > Sadly, also compared with the 48sx, the documentation is abysmal.
    >
    > One thing the SX had, neatly stashed in its soft case, was a complete
    > command summary, listing commands by name, along with their stack
    > effects. As long as you were familiar with the command, this was
    > really handy when programming. It was also helpful spotting less
    > familiar commands so you could get out the reference manual and get to
    > know them.
    >
    > For the 50g, with its >700 commands, this list would be even more
    > useful, even if it wouldn't fit in the case. Has anyone put together
    > such a list for the 50g as a PDF file or some such?
    >
    > Failing that, any suggestions on extracting the complete list of
    > command names from the calculator? Getting CAT's output in ASCII
    > would at least save me *some* typing, and would be less error prone
    > too.
    >
    > Have fun,
    >
    > Robert.
    > --
    > Robert Swan | No, not the antarctic adventurer.
    > swan....@gmail.com | No, not the Canberra porn monger.
    > | Yes, that's right, the boring one.

    In tha CAT menu there is a Help sectoin which explains the various CAS
    commands

  6. Re: HP-50g quick reference??

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 18:47:10 -0500, Robert Swan wrote:

    > I recently bought an HP-50g. Compared with my trusty 48sx, it's
    > dazzlingly fast, has a very clear display, and is full of features.
    > Sadly, also compared with the 48sx, the documentation is abysmal.
    >
    > One thing the SX had, neatly stashed in its soft case, was a complete
    > command summary, listing commands by name, along with their stack effects.

    The HP50G has only a few more commands than an HP49G,
    which came with a pocket-sized guide:

    http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?que...+guide+hewlett

    But it wasn't perfect:

    http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=3027

    Keep your 48SX guide (and any others for 48S[X]/G[X] series),
    because it's all still in the 50G; list-processing commands (48GX)
    and a CAS are mostly all that's new, command-wise,
    and the CAS commands actually have on-board HELP.

    [r->] [OFF]

  7. Re: HP-50g quick reference??

    On Apr 1, 7:47*pm, robe...@athlonx2.gville (Robert Swan) wrote:
    > I recently bought an HP-50g. *Compared with my trusty 48sx, it's
    > dazzlingly fast, has a very clear display, and is full of features.
    > Sadly, also compared with the 48sx, the documentation is abysmal.
    >
    > One thing the SX had, neatly stashed in its soft case, was a complete
    > command summary, listing commands by name, along with their stack
    > effects. *As long as you were familiar with the command, this was
    > really handy when programming. *It was also helpful spotting less
    > familiar commands so you could get out the reference manual and get to
    > know them.
    >
    > For the 50g, with its >700 commands, this list would be even more
    > useful, even if it wouldn't fit in the case. *Has anyone put together
    > such a list for the 50g as a PDF file or some such?
    >
    > Failing that, any suggestions on extracting the complete list of
    > command names from the calculator? *Getting CAT's output in ASCII
    > would at least save me *some* typing, and would be less error prone
    > too.

    As usual, John H Meyers is correct. However, I suspect you may still
    find the type of documented you requested useful.
    So as I promised here is a link to an 11 page PDF that contains
    virtually all the commands along with dtack diagrams for each. It also
    indicated button equivlents for commands that have them, as well as
    how to access the menu that contains them.

    http://username.localhost.googlepage...quickguide.pdf

    This is based on the spreadsheet by Veli-Pekka Nousiainen, although I
    removed information not useful for an hp50g quick guide, such as the
    information about what other calculators have the commands, or
    commands only available in those calculators, etc.

    I'm pretty sure this is more or less exactly what you were wanting, so
    please take a look.

    username@localhost

  8. Re: HP-50g quick reference??

    In article <5641a1b1-74a1-43e9-ae38-b48adbec06c4@z38g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
    username localhost wrote:
    >As usual, John H Meyers is correct. However, I suspect you may still
    >find the type of documented you requested useful.

    Right on both counts. I have downloaded the 49g quick reference as
    he suggested; much closer to the 50g than my 48sx guide was, but still
    want the comprehensive list of 50g commands.

    >So as I promised here is a link to an 11 page PDF that contains
    >virtually all the commands along with dtack diagrams for each. It also
    >indicated button equivlents for commands that have them, as well as
    >how to access the menu that contains them.
    >
    >http://username.localhost.googlepage...quickguide.pdf
    >
    >This is based on the spreadsheet by Veli-Pekka Nousiainen, although I
    >removed information not useful for an hp50g quick guide, such as the
    >information about what other calculators have the commands, or
    >commands only available in those calculators, etc.
    >
    >I'm pretty sure this is more or less exactly what you were wanting, so
    >please take a look.

    Excellent. It is exactly what I was after and will be a great help
    getting to grips with all the new capabilities. Many thanks.

    And thanks to all who responded.

    >username@localhost

    Who was that masked man? ...

    Have fun,

    Robert.
    --
    Robert Swan | No, not the antarctic adventurer.
    swan.r.l@gmail.com | No, not the Canberra porn monger.
    | Yes, that's right, the boring one.

  9. Re: HP-50g quick reference??

    Thanks. An excellent "Quick Command Guide".
    I've seen the spreadsheet by Veli-Pekka Nousiainen.
    But I am confused by his (and your) columns entitled "Type" and "#a T
    #r"
    Would you define the meaning of these two columns?.
    GC

    username localhost wrote:
    > On Apr 1, 7:47?pm, robe...@athlonx2.gville (Robert Swan) wrote:
    > > I recently bought an HP-50g. ?Compared with my trusty 48sx, it's
    > > dazzlingly fast, has a very clear display, and is full of features.
    > > Sadly, also compared with the 48sx, the documentation is abysmal.
    > >
    > > One thing the SX had, neatly stashed in its soft case, was a complete
    > > command summary, listing commands by name, along with their stack
    > > effects. ?As long as you were familiar with the command, this was
    > > really handy when programming. ?It was also helpful spotting less
    > > familiar commands so you could get out the reference manual and get to
    > > know them.
    > >
    > > For the 50g, with its >700 commands, this list would be even more
    > > useful, even if it wouldn't fit in the case. ?Has anyone put together
    > > such a list for the 50g as a PDF file or some such?
    > >
    > > Failing that, any suggestions on extracting the complete list of
    > > command names from the calculator? ?Getting CAT's output in ASCII
    > > would at least save me *some* typing, and would be less error prone
    > > too.

    > As usual, John H Meyers is correct. However, I suspect you may still
    > find the type of documented you requested useful.
    > So as I promised here is a link to an 11 page PDF that contains
    > virtually all the commands along with dtack diagrams for each. It also
    > indicated button equivlents for commands that have them, as well as
    > how to access the menu that contains them.
    >
    > http://username.localhost.googlepage...quickguide.pdf
    >
    > This is based on the spreadsheet by Veli-Pekka Nousiainen, although I
    > removed information not useful for an hp50g quick guide, such as the
    > information about what other calculators have the commands, or
    > commands only available in those calculators, etc.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure this is more or less exactly what you were wanting, so
    > please take a look.
    >
    > username@localhost

  10. Re: HP-50g quick reference??

    On Apr 3, 6:56*pm, g wrote:
    > Thanks. An excellent "Quick Command Guide".
    > I've seen the spreadsheet by Veli-Pekka Nousiainen.
    > But I am confused by his (and your) columns entitled "Type" and "#a T
    > #r"
    > Would you define the meaning of these two columns?.
    > GC

    I'm not fully certain of the meaning myself. What is apparent is that
    the types column was reduandant, and so I should have excluded it from
    my version. I just forgot to do that. The second column seems to
    cryptically indicate the form the command would take in algebraic
    mode, but I'm not entirely clear it it either.

  11. Re: HP-50g quick reference??

    roberts@athlonx2.gville (Robert Swan) wrote in news:u4uac5-rmf.ln1
    @rswan.netspace.net.au:

    > I recently bought an HP-50g. Compared with my trusty 48sx, it's
    > dazzlingly fast, has a very clear display, and is full of features.
    > Sadly, also compared with the 48sx, the documentation is abysmal.
    >
    > One thing the SX had, neatly stashed in its soft case, was a complete
    > command summary, listing commands by name, along with their stack
    > effects. As long as you were familiar with the command, this was
    > really handy when programming. It was also helpful spotting less
    > familiar commands so you could get out the reference manual and get to
    > know them.
    >
    > For the 50g, with its >700 commands, this list would be even more
    > useful, even if it wouldn't fit in the case. Has anyone put together
    > such a list for the 50g as a PDF file or some such?
    >
    > Failing that, any suggestions on extracting the complete list of
    > command names from the calculator? Getting CAT's output in ASCII
    > would at least save me *some* typing, and would be less error prone
    > too.
    >
    > Have fun,
    >
    > Robert.

    (Try pressing F1 as you read this text)

  12. Re: HP-50g quick reference??

    "username localhost" wrote in message
    On Apr 3, 6:56 pm, g wrote:
    > Thanks. An excellent "Quick Command Guide".
    > I've seen the spreadsheet by Veli-Pekka Nousiainen.
    > But I am confused by his (and your) columns entitled

    "Type"
    is reduntant to the next column,
    but is usefull in a spreadsheet as one can filter
    A_nalytic functions [symbolically differentiable]
    F_unctions [ like 'SIN(60)' ]
    C_ommands [cannot be used in 'Algebraics' ]

    and "#a T #r"
    number of arguments Type number of results (for Commands)

    with Functions and Analytic functions the result is always one (1)
    so arguments are shown instead

    Examples
    Mult Analog 1st arg Type 2nd arg
    * A 1A2

    XROOT A A(2,1)
    nth root is an exceptions where the second argument in stack usage
    is different from function usage

    % F F(1,2)
    Per/cent Function arguments (1st, 2nd)

    Note that ! is pictured wrong!
    Instead of "F(1)" it should be "1F"

    "Algebraic DROP" eg ";" takes one or zero arguments
    so it doesn't error when the stack is empty
    ; C 1|0 C 0

    Command, which takes 3 args and returns 2 results to the stack
    ABCUV C 3 C 2

    *NOTE* that TI1M, TI2M and ZI1M...ZT2U
    are internal commands without argument checking

    > Would you define the meaning of these two columns?.
    > GC

    Actually bith are reduntant to the next column
    Args & Results
    I'm not fully certain of the meaning myself. What is apparent is that
    the types column was reduandant, and so I should have excluded it from
    my version. I just forgot to do that. The second column seems to
    cryptically indicate the form the command would take in algebraic
    mode, but I'm not entirely clear it it either.
    ======================================
    In Algebraic mode even Commands are "functions"
    so you can use an obvious command with parenthesis:
    [MODE][ +/-] @ this changes to the "Dark Side" of the Force
    [Right-Shift][BASE] @ you can see your base
    [ALPHA][ALPHA]HEX() [ENTER] @ entering a Command
    NOVAL @ result shown

    I'll explain more later...

  13. Re: HP-50g quick reference??

    On Jul 7, 3:39 am, "Veli-Pekka Nousiainen"
    wrote:
    > "username localhost" wrote in message

    > On Apr 3, 6:56 pm, g wrote:> Thanks. An excellent "Quick Command Guide".
    > > I've seen the spreadsheet by Veli-Pekka Nousiainen.
    > > But I am confused by his (and your) columns entitled

    > "Type"
    > is reduntant to the next column,
    > but is usefull in a spreadsheet as one can filter
    > A_nalytic functions [symbolically differentiable]
    > F_unctions [ like 'SIN(60)' ]
    > C_ommands [cannot be used in 'Algebraics' ]
    >
    > and "#a T #r"
    > number of arguments Type number of results (for Commands)
    >
    > with Functions and Analytic functions the result is always one (1)
    > so arguments are shown instead
    >
    > Examples
    > Mult Analog 1st arg Type 2nd arg
    > * A 1A2
    >
    > XROOT A A(2,1)
    > nth root is an exceptions where the second argument in stack usage
    > is different from function usage
    >
    > % F F(1,2)
    > Per/cent Function arguments (1st, 2nd)
    >
    > Note that ! is pictured wrong!
    > Instead of "F(1)" it should be "1F"
    >
    > "Algebraic DROP" eg ";" takes one or zero arguments
    > so it doesn't error when the stack is empty
    > ; C 1|0 C 0
    >
    > Command, which takes 3 args and returns 2 results to the stack
    > ABCUV C 3 C 2
    >
    > *NOTE* that TI1M, TI2M and ZI1M...ZT2U
    > are internal commands without argument checking
    >
    > > Would you define the meaning of these two columns?.
    > > GC

    > Actually bith are reduntant to the next column
    > Args & Results
    > ================================================== ====
    > I'm not fully certain of the meaning myself. What is apparent is that
    > the types column was reduandant, and so I should have excluded it from
    > my version. I just forgot to do that. The second column seems to
    > cryptically indicate the form the command would take in algebraic
    > mode, but I'm not entirely clear it it either.
    > ======================================
    > In Algebraic mode even Commands are "functions"
    > so you can use an obvious command with parenthesis:
    > [MODE][ +/-] @ this changes to the "Dark Side" of the Force
    > [Right-Shift][BASE] @ you can see your base
    > [ALPHA][ALPHA]HEX() [ENTER] @ entering a Command
    > NOVAL @ result shown
    >
    > I'll explain more later...

    There is an excellent internal help program which gives all the info
    I, at least, usually need about commands and is easy to use. See
    http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/apps/misc/hlp49v3.zip
    .... thanks to Bill Markwick
    --irl

+ Reply to Thread