Re: Vista - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: Vista - Hewlett Packard ; It does, we run it on XP on a number of PCs. Gary S. -----Original Message----- From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [mailto:HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU] On Behalf Of Wirt Atmar Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 9:25 AM To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] Vista Gehan ...

  1. Re: Vista

    From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [mailto:HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU] On Behalf
    Of Wirt Atmar
    Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 9:25 AM
    To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] Vista

    Gehan writes:

    > wow, I thought I was the only one who spent a while thinking that was
    > just a graphic up there. I also spent much time looking through all
    > those giant ugly menus looking for things. Then one day I accidentally
    > clicked on the big graphic and found a "hidden menu"...
    >
    > There should be an advanced option you can check to go back to regular
    > file menus. Keep the picture menu for the kiddies, give me back my
    > skinny bar, I want more document space and less clutter...

    Although the subject line of this thread has changed to "Vista," it might be

    worth pointing out that you all are not complaining about the Vista
    operating
    system, but one of the newer versions of Microsoft Word, which I presume
    will
    run under XP as well as Vista, although I've never tried it.

    Wirt Atmar

  2. Re: Vista

    I find this topic particularly interesting because I think we're missing
    the point of it all. Right at the start though I'm perfectly willing to
    admit I could well be way off base with my point of view. Also, please
    note that I am not intending my comments as a response to any particular
    comment in this thread by anyone else, just as a general comment on the
    subject as a whole. That said, here goes.

    Having an operating system that functions in a certain way is a tool for
    most people to do other things, not just be knowledgeable of how things
    are done on a PC. In my case, it is to help other people sell expensive
    shoes so that I can continue to draw my salary. I have an obligation to
    provide some certain technical service to my internal customer base.

    It is similar to a mechanic who provides the repair service to his/her
    customers to keep their car running. They expect the job to be done
    within a certain time-frame, and to a certain standard of quality. It
    is their service expectation.

    If, suddenly, the office manager decides to rearrange all the tools in
    the garage into what they decide is a more effective arrangement, the
    mechanic will spend a lot of time trying to find what they need to fix
    the car. The mechanic's knowledge of how the tool works for her/him in
    a certain situation has not changed, only his/her ability to employ it
    has been disrupted. It is not some lowering in the mechanic's
    intelligence, it is merely their confidence in finding what is needed
    when opening the fourth drawer in the second cabinet to the left.

    Maybe in the long run, the rearrangement will make sense, once those
    changes have been understood and absorbed by the mechanic, but in the
    meantime they still feel the pressure to have the car ready for when the
    customer gets off the bus at 5:30 in the afternoon to pick it up.

    I too feel lost and frustrated when nothing is in its usual place
    anymore and it takes me five times as long to do a simple task as it
    used to take. I know it won't take me that long forever, but I question
    the reason for the move if it is not with some adherent advantage that I
    will realize, in fairly short order. If a tool is very expensive, and
    the fourth drawer in the second cabinet from the left has no lock on it,
    then I can understand moving it to a locking cabinet. Give me a reason
    to embrace the change, but please don't just mutter something about my
    lower level of intelligence, it only makes me question yours.

    Just my two cents,
    Howard Hoxsie