Re: OT:NEWEST AMERICAN BUMPER STICKERS - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT:NEWEST AMERICAN BUMPER STICKERS - Hewlett Packard ; I always though 'mudguards' were the flexible flange attached to the end of the fender to help keep road debris from spattering onto the body. On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 17:32:46 +0100, Roy Brown wrote: >In message , Brian >Donaldson ...

  1. Re: OT:NEWEST AMERICAN BUMPER STICKERS

    wrote:

    >In message , Brian
    >Donaldson writes
    >
    >><< But you Yanks call 'em fenders. >>

    >I see I have been wrong about this for years :-(
    >
    >Fenders are wings. Rats. No wonder Denys was confused....
    >
    >And our bicycles and motorbikes have mudguards.
    >
    >Truly two nations separated by a common language.
    >
    >>I wouldn't go calling someone from the South (Ray in Texas, for example)
    >>a "Yank(ee)"
    >>Do you want to start another Revolutionary war, y'all?

    >>Brian.

    >Privately, we call you 'merkins'. But you might like that even less :-)
    >--
    >Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
    >Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris

  2. Re: OT:NEWEST AMERICAN BUMPER STICKERS

    In message , Brice Yokem
    writes

    >I always though 'mudguards' were the flexible flange attached to the end of
    >the fender to help keep road debris from spattering onto the body.

    We call those 'mudflaps'.
    --
    Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
    Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris

  3. Re: OT:NEWEST AMERICAN BUMPER STICKERS

    Hearing the word mudflaps makes me think of the chrome pin-up chick
    silhouette that's on the mudflaps of semi trailers across the south.
    That would be loris (sp?) I believe for you UK folks.

    Bumpers are plastic or rubber, Fenders are chrome. Both are on the
    front or rear of a car...

    But then again I do recall the panel above a wheel well being called a
    fender too?
    I know I call the chrome things above the tires on my motorcycle fenders...

    -G

    On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Roy Brown
    wrote:
    > In message , Brice Yokem
    > writes
    > >I always though 'mudguards' were the flexible flange attached to the end of
    > >the fender to help keep road debris from spattering onto the body.

    > We call those 'mudflaps'.

  4. Re: OT:NEWEST AMERICAN BUMPER STICKERS

    In message <011c01c8941c$513ee290$2601a8c0@WONSILT42>, Mark Wonsil
    writes
    >> We call those 'mudflaps'.

    >And do they look like the one's we see here?
    >
    >http://www.yosemite-sam.net/Sam/Vehi...-Mud-Flaps.jpg
    >
    >or
    >
    >http://www.innerauto.com/images/part...mud_flaps2.jpg
    >
    >or
    >
    >http://www.advicegoddess.com/archives/8079.jpg

    Pretty much, but we like them 'boiled mutton' plain over here.

    Even having raised detailing in the self-coloured rubber is considered
    rather racy...
    --
    Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
    Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris

  5. Re: OT:NEWEST AMERICAN BUMPER STICKERS

    In message ,
    Gehan Gehale writes
    >Hearing the word mudflaps makes me think of the chrome pin-up chick
    >silhouette that's on the mudflaps of semi trailers across the south.
    >That would be loris (sp?) I believe for you UK folks.

    Lorries. If they have a fifth wheel, we call them artics - short for
    articulated lorries.

    Quite often, we'll call then HGVs - Heavy Goods Vehicles.

    I cannot repeat what we call them when they are crawling along in front
    of us on a two-lane road...

    >Bumpers are plastic or rubber, Fenders are chrome. Both are on the
    >front or rear of a car...

    My car puts its roof in the boot... you would say trunk.

    >But then again I do recall the panel above a wheel well being called a
    >fender too?
    >I know I call the chrome things above the tires on my motorcycle fenders...

    We call tires tyres. But AFAIK, we do all agree that the round things
    the tyres go on are called 'wheels'.