Re: OT:NEWEST AMERICAN BUMPER STICKERS - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT:NEWEST AMERICAN BUMPER STICKERS - Hewlett Packard ; > > > I wouldn't go calling someone from the South (Ray in Texas, for example) a "Yank(ee)" Do you want to start another Revolutionary war, y'all? Brian. On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:32:32 +0100, Roy Brown wrote: >Bumper sticker ...

  1. Re: OT:NEWEST AMERICAN BUMPER STICKERS

    <>

    << But you Yanks call 'em fenders. >>

    <>

    wrote:

    >Bumper sticker for the Nissan Navara:
    >'Free with this sticker: twice the crash protection'
    >
    >http://www.companycardriver.co.uk/ex...tp://www.euron
    >cap.com/Player.aspx?nk=fd2b3f6e-23b0-4f26-b557-836b31b2c693&sel=43AB08DC-
    >4526-4F83-9BF5-22E0D167EFBF>
    >
    >NB: We Brits call 'em bumpers so 'bumper stickers' is logical. But you
    >Yanks call 'em fenders. So why not 'fender stickers'?
    > Though maybe a fender sticker would have to say something like
    >'Stratocaster' or 'Precision Bass'?
    >--
    >Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
    >Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris

  2. Re: OT:NEWEST AMERICAN BUMPER STICKERS

    In message , Brian
    Donaldson writes

    ><< But you Yanks call 'em fenders. >>

    I see I have been wrong about this for years :-(

    Fenders are wings. Rats. No wonder Denys was confused....

    And our bicycles and motorbikes have mudguards.

    Truly two nations separated by a common language.

    >I wouldn't go calling someone from the South (Ray in Texas, for example)
    >a "Yank(ee)"
    >Do you want to start another Revolutionary war, y'all?

    >Brian.

    Privately, we call you 'merkins'. But you might like that even less :-)
    --
    Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
    Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris

  3. Re: OT:NEWEST AMERICAN BUMPER STICKERS

    Roy, don't feel bad about it, David was obviously navigating under the same
    misapprehension; I guess it's a British thing. :-)

    I am still waiting to hear what Gehan was talking about as his statement "
    We need to do something, if we can use al's popularity to bring about
    change, why not...." truly begs the question.

    Denys

    I see I have been wrong about this for years :-(

    Fenders are wings. Rats. No wonder Denys was confused....

    And our bicycles and motorbikes have mudguards.

    Truly two nations separated by a common language.

  4. Re: OT:NEWEST AMERICAN BUMPER STICKERS

    > I am still waiting to hear what Gehan was talking about as his statement "
    > We need to do something, if we can use al's popularity to bring about
    > change, why not...." truly begs the question.
    > Denys

    Well basically I think..

    Major weather phenomena takes place in the long term over millions of
    years, think of 'ice ages' and their opposites 'desert ages'.. Heck
    even the magnetic core of the earth has taken a flop or two since
    earth was formed. So weather flips don't seem like such a long shot.
    In between those high/low caps are lots of more localized patterns
    probably lasting on the 1000 year or so wave. I wouldn't be surprised
    if we see many highs and lows over the next 100 years, maybe even on a
    general cold swing.

    Weather charts to me don't seal the deal. They are too subjective and
    can be spun to fit either side of the fence depending on when you
    start your graph and end it, it can show an increase or decrease in
    temperature over time.

    I am however convinced that air pollution, cars, factories, cfc's, all
    of that stuff, even carbon dioxide, is a great cause for concern.
    While it may not be affecting our weather as much as Al Gore says, we
    can't deny that we're having an impact on our environment. If you
    don't think we are impacting our environment what do you call that
    brown cloud that surrounds most of los angeles, which wasn't there 100
    years ago? Did god just happen to put that cloud there because he
    likes LA? Look at the asthma and lung problems rates for Chicago. High
    above the national average, do you think that has nothing to do with
    all the stuff the steel mills and oil refinaries are putting in to the
    air?

    If Al Gore can keep the factories and their output to our enviornment
    in the forefront, I'm happy. That's what I meant by we need change and
    i'm happy to ride the AGW wave to that change.....

    -gehan g.

  5. Re: OT:NEWEST AMERICAN BUMPER STICKERS

    "The ends justify the means." Understood.

    Denys

    "