Re: OT:NEWEST AMERICAN BUMPER STICKERS - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT:NEWEST AMERICAN BUMPER STICKERS - Hewlett Packard ; Seems clear enough to me. Roy makes a number of unlinked points - a) Although the American word for the strip of chrome and plastic attached to the front and back of a car is a "fender", the everso witty ...

  1. Re: OT:NEWEST AMERICAN BUMPER STICKERS

    Seems clear enough to me.
    Roy makes a number of unlinked points -

    a) Although the American word for the strip of chrome and plastic
    attached to the front and back of a car is a "fender", the everso witty
    stickers attached to them are called "bumper stickers". An anomaly;
    innocently amusing.

    b) The fenders on certain cars aren't very robust. The addition of a
    sticker may increase the fender's strength noticeably. The url links to
    a crash test of a not-very-robust fender on a not-very-robust vehicle.

    c) "Fender" is also the name of a manufacturer of electric guitars. Roy
    named a couple of their models.

    These three points are what I would countenance as "innocent jokes".
    They're whimsical, they make no ideological claims, they're rendered
    slightly precious by extended exegesis.

    I like explaining innocent jokes; it makes them much more amusing and I
    never feel that a
    request for clarification has a hidden motive.