HP Paviliion 710 AGP 4X port: universal? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Paviliion 710 AGP 4X port: universal? - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, I have to replace the graphic board of an old HP Pavilion 710 which has an AGP 4X port and it's hard to find an AGPP 4X board nowadays. The port appears to be a universal port since it ...

  1. HP Paviliion 710 AGP 4X port: universal?

    Hi,

    I have to replace the graphic board of an old HP Pavilion 710 which has
    an AGP 4X port and it's hard to find an AGPP 4X board nowadays. The port
    appears to be a universal port since it has a single slot. However, I
    have been told that some poorly designed AGP 4X-only ports also have a
    single slot port.

    How can I be sure that this port will support an AGP 8x board?

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Patrick

  2. Re: HP Paviliion 710 AGP 4X port: universal?

    Patrick Philippot wrote:
    > How can I be sure that this port will support an AGP 8x board?

    If the board is AGP 4X backward compatible, of course.

    --
    Patrick

  3. Re: HP Paviliion 710 AGP 4X port: universal?

    This is the model called Pavilion 710.fr on the HP web site?

    I would tread very carefully here. AGP went through an interesting shift from
    Pentium 3 class systems to Pentium 4 systems, more or less. The original AGP
    cards operated at 3.3v. The newer (usually 8x) AGP cards operate at 1.5v. Some
    AGP cards are designed and manufactured to operate at either voltage. Absent
    clear and definitive information about the voltage of the 710.fr AGP slot, you
    need to assume that it is 3.3v, especially if the slot is a continuous one with
    no little plastic divider breaking it into two smaller slots.

    Operation at 4x by an 8x card is not the real problem, because the AGP spec
    calls for cards to "downshift" their speeds when inserted in a slot capable of
    operating only at a lower speed. You need to identify a card that will operate
    at 3.3v.

    In my experience, a dual-voltage AGP card has two notches in its edge connector,
    each one mating with a comparable divider in the AGP slot... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:02:05 +0200, "Patrick Philippot"
    wrote:

    >Patrick Philippot wrote:
    >> How can I be sure that this port will support an AGP 8x board?

    >If the board is AGP 4X backward compatible, of course.

  4. Re: HP Paviliion 710 AGP 4X port: universal?

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > In my experience, a dual-voltage AGP card has two notches in its edge
    > connector, each one mating with a comparable divider in the AGP
    > slot... Ben Myers

    Thanks for the answer, Ben. If the board is advertised as being 4X
    compatible, it should then have the two notches?

    Cheers.

    --
    Patrick

  5. Re: HP Paviliion 710 AGP 4X port: universal?

    Yes, that makes sense. AFAIK, P3 systems were only capable of 4x AGP... Ben

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:08:49 +0200, "Patrick Philippot"
    wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >> In my experience, a dual-voltage AGP card has two notches in its edge
    >> connector, each one mating with a comparable divider in the AGP
    >> slot... Ben Myers

    >Thanks for the answer, Ben. If the board is advertised as being 4X
    >compatible, it should then have the two notches?
    >
    >Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread