Menu Label Builder for HP 49g+ - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Menu Label Builder for HP 49g+ - Hewlett Packard ; I neglected to mention that I would like a menu label builder program for my HP 49g+. I assume the program Raymond Del Tondo referred to will not work on the HP 49g+ because it uses a different processor. Is ...

  1. Menu Label Builder for HP 49g+

    I neglected to mention that I would like a menu label builder program
    for my HP 49g+. I assume the program Raymond Del Tondo referred to
    will not work on the HP 49g+ because it uses a different processor.
    Is that correct?

  2. Re: Menu Label Builder for HP 49g+ [ARM vs. Saturn?]

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:25:38 -0500:

    > I neglected to mention that I would like a menu label builder program
    > for my HP 49g+. I assume the program Raymond Del Tondo referred to
    > will not work on the HP 49g+ because it uses a different processor.
    > Is that correct?

    The architecture of the HP49G+/50G series calculators
    emulates the original HP "Saturn" processor,
    in a lower-level system which is transparent to the user.

    Thus, the platform does not give the user a new ARM-based computer
    to play with, but gives instead a continuation of the same
    original "RPL" calculator operating system
    (with enhancements, of course, in Filer, CAS,
    and new hardware such as larger screen, USB, and SD cards).

    The independent "HPGCC" project is, on the other hand,
    based on "breaking through" the existing barrier
    between the "hidden ARM OS" and the emulated original "Saturn,"
    in effect giving you a new platform.

    If some of Raymond's programs are not portable to the 49/50 series,
    it is because of differences between series
    even in the "Saturn" level OS,
    which also exist in parts of the OS which Raymond himself rewrites.

    What direction would the series have taken if Raymond
    had been playing on Bill Wickes' original all-star team? ;-)

    Just tunnel into any nearby parallel universe to find out.

    Best wishes from http://www.mum.edu
    and http://www.maharishischooliowa.org

    ..

  3. Re: Menu Label Builder for HP 49g+ [ARM vs. Saturn?]

    On Mar 29, 6:59*pm, "John H Meyers" wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:25:38 -0500:
    >
    > > I neglected to mention that I would like a menu label builder program
    > > for my HP 49g+. *I assume the program Raymond Del Tondo referred to
    > > will not work on the HP 49g+ because it uses a different processor.
    > > Is that correct?

    > The architecture of the HP49G+/50G series calculators
    > emulates the original HP "Saturn" processor,
    > in a lower-level system which is transparent to the user.
    >
    > Thus, the platform does not give the user a new ARM-based computer
    > to play with, but gives instead a continuation of the same
    > original "RPL" calculator operating system
    > (with enhancements, of course, in Filer, CAS,
    > and new hardware such as larger screen, USB, and SD cards).
    >
    > The independent "HPGCC" project is, on the other hand,
    > based on "breaking through" the existing barrier
    > between the "hidden ARM OS" and the emulated original "Saturn,"
    > in effect giving you a new platform.
    >
    > If some of Raymond's programs are not portable to the 49/50 series,
    > it is because of differences between series
    > even in the "Saturn" level OS,
    > which also exist in parts of the OS which Raymond himself rewrites.
    >
    > What direction would the series have taken if Raymond
    > had been playing on Bill Wickes' original all-star team? *;-)
    >
    > Just tunnel into any nearby parallel universe to find out.
    >
    > Best wishes fromhttp://www.mum.edu
    > andhttp://www.maharishischooliowa.org
    >
    > .

    So the ARM OS uses different code to give the user the same functions
    as the original HP "Saturn" processor?
    Why did HP choose to use the ARM OS and why did they deem that it
    remain hidden?

+ Reply to Thread