Re: Unexpected boot on HP3000 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: Unexpected boot on HP3000 - Hewlett Packard ; An automatic reboot on any HP3000 is impossible. Can never happen. It requires human intervention every time to do a deliberate ctrl-B, ctrl-A shutdown, pull the plug (power off) and reconnect (power on) so that the juice will cause that ...

  1. Re: Unexpected boot on HP3000

    An automatic reboot on any HP3000 is impossible. Can never happen.

    It requires human intervention every time to do a deliberate ctrl-B, ctrl-A
    shutdown, pull the plug (power off) and reconnect (power on)
    so that the juice will cause that "automatic reboot" effect etc etc.

    I think someone in your environment did it to you and was too scared to say
    anything to you about it.

    I worked in a place once upon a time when some idiot went into the computer
    room, pulled the wrong plug and brought the 3000 to its knees. Once they had
    put the plug back in the 3000 started to reboot giving the illusion of an
    "automatic" reboot. Still, it needs the stupidity of human intervention to
    do that to you.

    Of course, maybe it was a virus on your system that caused it.

    Oh yeah, I almost forgot. There are no such things as viruses on the HP3000 :-)

    Brian Donaldson.

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:05:32 -0500, Herb Statham wrote:

    >On March 25th, our HP3000 decided on its own to reboot. We had not
    >experienced any power outages, voltage drops (that we could detect) or
    >anyone doing a control-b restart. This seemed very strange to me in that
    >I had never seen this happen since beginning to work on HP3000's in
    >1981. I talked to HP support (not the front line guys but the folks that
    >have been around for 20+ years) and got the same reaction - "...never
    >heard of this happening on a 3000 box. This wouldn't be the exception
    >for a windows based machine."
    >
    >Has anyone on the list gone through an "automatic" boot on a HP3000 box
    >before? If so, were you able to identify what caused the machine to
    >reboot itself? Our HP3000 is a 959-KS400 running MPE6.5 power patch
    >level 2.
    >

    >Herbert L. Statham
    >cerrowire
    >1099 Thompson Road SE
    >Hartselle, AL 35640
    >Office: 256 773-2522 x337
    >

    >################################################## ###################################
    >This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content and cleared
    >by MailMarshal
    >################################################## ###################################

  2. Re: Unexpected boot on HP3000

    Don't forget the old adage...

    Don't ascribe to Malice that which can be equally attributed to Stupidity.
    jp

    An automatic reboot on any HP3000 is impossible. Can never happen.

    It requires human intervention every time to do a deliberate ctrl-B, ctrl-A
    shutdown, pull the plug (power off) and reconnect (power on)
    so that the juice will cause that "automatic reboot" effect etc etc.

    I think someone in your environment did it to you and was too scared to say
    anything to you about it.

    I worked in a place once upon a time when some idiot went into the computer
    room, pulled the wrong plug and brought the 3000 to its knees. Once they had
    put the plug back in the 3000 started to reboot giving the illusion of an
    "automatic" reboot. Still, it needs the stupidity of human intervention to
    do that to you.

    Of course, maybe it was a virus on your system that caused it.

    Oh yeah, I almost forgot. There are no such things as viruses on the HP3000:-)

    Brian Donaldson.

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:05:32 -0500, Herb Statham wrote:

    >On March 25th, our HP3000 decided on its own to reboot. We had not
    >experienced any power outages, voltage drops (that we could detect) or
    >anyone doing a control-b restart. This seemed very strange to me in that
    >I had never seen this happen since beginning to work on HP3000's in
    >1981. I talked to HP support (not the front line guys but the folks that
    >have been around for 20+ years) and got the same reaction - "...never
    >heard of this happening on a 3000 box. This wouldn't be the exception
    >for a windows based machine."
    >
    >Has anyone on the list gone through an "automatic" boot on a HP3000 box
    >before? If so, were you able to identify what caused the machine to
    >reboot itself? Our HP3000 is a 959-KS400 running MPE6.5 power patch
    >level 2.
    >

    >Herbert L. Statham
    >cerrowire
    >1099 Thompson Road SE
    >Hartselle, AL 35640
    >Office: 256 773-2522 x337
    >

    >################################################## ###################################
    >This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content and cleared
    >by MailMarshal
    >################################################## ###################################

  3. Re: Unexpected boot on HP3000

    > An automatic reboot on any HP3000 is impossible. Can never happen.
    >
    > It requires human intervention every time to do a deliberate ctrl-B,

    ctrl-
    > shutdown, pull the plug (power off) and reconnect (power on)
    > so that the juice will cause that "automatic reboot" effect etc etc.

    No, automatic reboots are possible and quite easy to setup - and you
    don't need AutoRestart/iX to do them.

    Way back on iX 6.0 there used to be many MANY networking bugs, such that
    the system tables would fill up on a very busy system quickly (in our
    case my Internet-connected box running a web server maxed out about
    every 36 hours). A nasty workaround until HP fixed the bugs was a script
    that ran hourly that checked the system tables, and if it found them
    close to filling up, would stream a job that ran a simple program that
    halted the box (after cleanly stopping all running jobs and warning all
    users to log off). A simple PM program call (suddendeath I think) is all
    that it took.

    Meanwhile the system was configured to automatically restart when it
    halted; a process that's documented in the FAQ at www.3k.com and merely
    involves editing a file in pub.sys and making a syslog config change
    IIRC.

    It worked (though a rather sad workaround) and though the problem is
    long gone I still have my boxes configured to auto-restart.

    -Chris Bartram