sqrt(4) -> 2 and such - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on sqrt(4) -> 2 and such - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, I don't know what's happened but lately my HP 50g doesn't simplify expressions with square roots such as: sqrt(4) -> 2 sqrt(8) -> 2*sqrt(2) 1/sqrt(2) -> sqrt(2)/2 etc. I guess some flag may have changed accidentally but I can't ...

  1. sqrt(4) -> 2 and such

    Hi,
    I don't know what's happened but lately my HP 50g doesn't simplify
    expressions with square roots such as:
    sqrt(4) -> 2
    sqrt(8) -> 2*sqrt(2)
    1/sqrt(2) -> sqrt(2)/2
    etc.
    I guess some flag may have changed accidentally but I can't find out
    which one it is.
    Thanks for your help.

  2. Re: sqrt(4) -> 2 and such

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 04:54:34 -0700 (PDT), squeetox@gmail.com wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I don't know what's happened but lately my HP 50g doesn't simplify
    >expressions with square roots such as:
    >sqrt(4) -> 2
    >sqrt(8) -> 2*sqrt(2)
    >1/sqrt(2) -> sqrt(2)/2
    >etc.
    >I guess some flag may have changed accidentally but I can't find out
    >which one it is.
    >Thanks for your help.

    [RightShift]+[Enter] to toggle between exact (=) and
    approximate (~) mode.

    Damir

  3. Re: sqrt(4) -> 2 and such

    But sqrt(4) is exactly 2, why don't I get that result while in exact
    mode? What about the others, because I don't want a decimal approx.

  4. Re: sqrt(4) -> 2 and such

    > But sqrt(4) is exactly 2, why don't I get that result while in exact
    > mode? What about the others, because I don't want a decimal approx.

    Run the command CASCFG. That resets back to defaults.

    TW

+ Reply to Thread