HP Raid - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Raid - Hewlett Packard ; I hope someone can clear up what seems to be a confusing issue right now. I have an HP Pavillion pc w/2-500GB HD's & a Intel RAID controller running Vista Bus. Ed. I asked HP about setting up the discs ...

  1. HP Raid

    I hope someone can clear up what seems to be a confusing issue right now.
    I have an HP Pavillion pc w/2-500GB HD's & a Intel RAID controller running
    Vista Bus. Ed. I asked HP about setting up the discs to mirror ea. other
    using Raid1.

    They gave me fairly good instructions. But them after questioning the tech
    a bit more I was told that not everything is backed up. Pictures, docs,
    music, etc. was all that was mirrored, not the programs and contents.

    So I got instructions to remove the Raid config. and go back to 2 Non Raid
    discs. I figured I'd just go out and get a mirroring prog. But once I
    rebooted and
    looked in Computer I now have 2 drives that look identical. Including the
    Factory
    image. I sent them screen shots as well to explain what I am seeing.

    I have written back to the orig. tech a couple times today. But today I am
    getting incomplete tips from other techs. So I figure while I wait for the
    orig.
    tech to ans. back I'd see if someone in the NG might be able to better
    explain this and suggest a
    resolution.

    TIA

  2. Re: HP Raid

    "Larry M." wrote in message
    >I hope someone can clear up what seems to be a confusing issue right now.
    > I have an HP Pavillion pc w/2-500GB HD's & a Intel RAID controller running
    > Vista Bus. Ed. I asked HP about setting up the discs to mirror ea. other
    > using Raid1.
    >
    > They gave me fairly good instructions. But them after questioning the tech
    > a bit more I was told that not everything is backed up. Pictures, docs,
    > music, etc. was all that was mirrored, not the programs and contents.
    >
    > So I got instructions to remove the Raid config. and go back to 2 Non Raid
    > discs. I figured I'd just go out and get a mirroring prog. But once I
    > rebooted and
    > looked in Computer I now have 2 drives that look identical. Including the
    > Factory
    > image. I sent them screen shots as well to explain what I am seeing.
    >
    > I have written back to the orig. tech a couple times today. But today I am
    > getting incomplete tips from other techs. So I figure while I wait for the
    > orig.
    > tech to ans. back I'd see if someone in the NG might be able to better
    > explain this and suggest a
    > resolution.

    The HP tech you spoke to obviously didn't know how raid works. What you see
    is what you get when you run Raid 1, 2 drives that are exact duplicates of
    each other.

  3. Re: HP Raid

    Jerry,
    That is kind of what I thought. But what confused me was when I orig. set it
    up I no longer the 2nd HD.
    They said that was normal. But as I said they were saying only pics. docs
    music and *data* were actually copied to drive 2. It wasn't until I removed
    the Raid vol. did I actually see 2 identical looking drives.
    That is when I went and reinstalled the Raid 1 partition. Sad thing w/HP is
    few of their *techs* know more than how to read scripts.

    "Jerry" wrote in message
    > "Larry M." wrote in message
    >>I hope someone can clear up what seems to be a confusing issue right now.
    >> I have an HP Pavillion pc w/2-500GB HD's & a Intel RAID controller
    >> running
    >> Vista Bus. Ed. I asked HP about setting up the discs to mirror ea. other
    >> using Raid1.
    >>
    >> They gave me fairly good instructions. But them after questioning the
    >> tech
    >> a bit more I was told that not everything is backed up. Pictures, docs,
    >> music, etc. was all that was mirrored, not the programs and contents.
    >>
    >> So I got instructions to remove the Raid config. and go back to 2 Non
    >> Raid
    >> discs. I figured I'd just go out and get a mirroring prog. But once I
    >> rebooted and
    >> looked in Computer I now have 2 drives that look identical. Including the
    >> Factory
    >> image. I sent them screen shots as well to explain what I am seeing.
    >>
    >> I have written back to the orig. tech a couple times today. But today I
    >> am
    >> getting incomplete tips from other techs. So I figure while I wait for
    >> the orig.
    >> tech to ans. back I'd see if someone in the NG might be able to better
    >> explain this and suggest a
    >> resolution.

    > The HP tech you spoke to obviously didn't know how raid works. What you
    > see is what you get when you run Raid 1, 2 drives that are exact
    > duplicates of each other.

+ Reply to Thread