Re: OT: It's all in the perspective - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT: It's all in the perspective - Hewlett Packard ; Denys writes: > You could at least spell it correctly. It's Endeavour, not Endeavor. > > http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/.../orbitersend.h > tml American ships *are* spelled "Endeavor." The Space Shuttle "Endeavour" however was not given an American name. All of the space shuttles ...

  1. Re: OT: It's all in the perspective

    Denys writes:

    > You could at least spell it correctly. It's Endeavour, not Endeavor.

    http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/.../orbitersend.h
    > tml

    American ships *are* spelled "Endeavor." The Space Shuttle "Endeavour"
    however was not given an American name. All of the space shuttles carry the
    names of the former great ships of discovery, the British HM Bark Endeavour
    being one of the ships to be so honored.

    The Endeavour was Captain Cook's ship for his most famous voyage to the
    Pacific, resulting in his discovery of New Zealand and Australia, and ultimately
    around the world. See:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Bark_Endeavour

    There are several American Endeavors at the moment. One of which is the
    National Geographic Endeavor:

    http://z.about.com/d/cruises/1/0/0/D/2/endeavor.jpg

    and NOAA has had a succession of ships named Endeavor as well:

    http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/htmls/ship0524.htm

    A current oceanic research vessel, the R/V Endeavor, is operated by the
    University of Rhode Island:

    http://www.uri.edu/endeavor/

    Several years ago when the last shuttle was being built, NASA promoted a
    contest among school children to name the shuttle, outlining the basic rules
    that NASA wanted to follow. Captain Cook's Endeavour was the name chosen
    by a wide margin.

    Wirt Atmar

  2. Re: OT: It's all in the perspective

    In message , Wirt Atmar
    writes

    >Several years ago when the last shuttle was being built, NASA promoted a
    >contest among school children to name the shuttle, outlining the basic rules
    >that NASA wanted to follow. Captain Cook's Endeavour was the name chosen
    >by a wide margin.
    >
    >Wirt Atmar

    Sigh..

    If only Fermat had had one of those :-(

    --
    Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
    Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris

  3. Re: OT: It's all in the perspective

    I suspect you are talking about his last theorem. Do you have any
    suggestions for a name? Maybe something like "Never more than two" or "Two
    is all you need" or "More than two won't work."

    Denys...
    >Several years ago when the last shuttle was being built, NASA promoted a
    >contest among school children to name the shuttle, outlining the basic

    rules
    >that NASA wanted to follow. Captain Cook's Endeavour was the name chosen
    >by a wide margin.
    >
    >Wirt Atmar

    Sigh..

    If only Fermat had had one of those :-(

    --
    Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
    Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris

  4. Re: OT: It's all in the perspective

    In message <001401c88db2$df9c32b0$9ed49810$@net>, Denys Beauchemin
    writes

    (Top posting corrected, as it makes the baby Jesus cry).

    I was thinking of 'The powers that be'.

    But if you have a slow afternoon, go look up the difference between
    'continuously' and 'continually' and the correct usage of each :-)

    Or watch an episode of the UK TV series 'Morse', if it is on one of the
    plethora of channels you can get over there.

    His never-used first name turns out to be 'Endeavour'.

    --
    Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
    Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris

  5. Re: OT: It's all in the perspective

    Since English isn't my first language, I simply miss-translated
    "continuellement". I should have used "toujours" instead.

    Denys...