Re: OT: I call Godwin - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT: I call Godwin - Hewlett Packard ; On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:29:03 +0000, Roy Brown wrote: >In message , Brice Yokem > writes >>On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:22:35 +0000, Roy Brown >> wrote: >> >>>In message , Denys Beauchemin >>> writes > >>>>It would take ...

  1. Re: OT: I call Godwin

    wrote:

    >In message , Brice

    Yokem
    > writes
    >>On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:22:35 +0000, Roy Brown
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In message <000001c883ec$173ad030$45b07090$@net>, Denys

    Beauchemin
    >>> writes

    >>>I call Godwin.

    >>However, Godwin's Law itself can be abused, as a distraction or
    >>diversion, that fallaciously miscasts an opponent's argument as
    >>hyperbole, especially if the comparisons made by the argument are
    >>actually appropriate.

    >If anyone thinks that Denys' arguments are not hyperbole

    Maybe, but the term Eco-Nazi is appropriate.

    >> A 2005 Reason magazine article argued that Godwin's Law is often
    >>misused to ridicule even valid comparisons.[9] ;->

    >and that the comparisons are appropriate
    >
    >then there would seem to be no way I can reach them :-(
    >--
    >Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
    >Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris

  2. Re: OT: I call Godwin

    I was asked privately if I could provide the approximate locations of any of
    the eco-nazis death camps. I thought I would answer that question here.
    Not to worry, I am protecting the identity of the requestor and most of you
    would not know the person anyway.

    A good place to start would be at the following coordinates: 10 degrees
    North, 32 degrees East and then look around within a radius of 500 miles.
    Since the mid 70s, about 2 millions inhabitants in that region have died
    from Malaria, every year. We are looking at 60-80 million people dead
    because the eco-nazis have prevented the use of DDT for that region. These
    numbers make the 1930's Nazis look like pikers.

    The eco-nazis are also preventing the building of power stations in Africa,
    which would go a long way toward alleviating the suffering. With
    electricity, clean water would be much more abundant. The single greatest
    step ever taken by Man in preventing disease and thus attain a better
    quality of life is abundant clean water. This entails pumping, filtration
    and waste management which require electricity. The number of people who
    die because they lack this basic necessity is an additional body count to be
    added to the malaria victims.

    A few months ago, I was watching a video of a village in Africa that did not
    have any electricity. The one little generator they had been able to
    procure in spite of the restrictions could only power the small refrigerator
    in the infirmary OR the one satellite radio. They could only get enough gas
    to run it a few hours a day.

    In time the eco-nazis will have to answer for their crimes against humanity,
    or one hopes. The only thing I can do is try to expose their lies and get
    people to realize what is being done. Actions have consequences.

    But folks are welcome to defend the eco-nazis' actions. I am not asking
    they be forbidden to talk.

    In closing, I will provide this link. Before you open it, be aware that
    picture has been haunting me for years. The photographer who took it, won
    the Pulitzer prize for it and then committed suicide. He had other issues,
    but what the picture depicts had something to do with his suicide; the
    suffering he witnessed is mentioned in his final note.

    I am also aware that another person who supposedly was there with the
    photographer disputes the set up of the picture, but it was taken in 1993,
    before fauxtography was easily available and the photographer did commit
    suicide, so he can't defend himself. Also, the other photographer did not
    get a Pulitzer.

    http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/od..._in_unfair.htm

    As a father of 4 girls and a grandfather of 1, the picture of that little
    girl is very moving; we have the technology and the resources to remedy this
    situation. We just do not have the guts to ignore the eco-nazis. So the
    next time you defend AGW and the DDT ban, just remember you are enabling the
    kind of suffering and despair in that picture.

    Denys...

  3. Re: OT: I call Godwin

    >>If anyone thinks that Denys' arguments are not hyperbole

    >Maybe, but the term Eco-Nazi is appropriate.

    Huh? What stage do you think we're at, Brice? (trying to keep it
    chronological, but once again from memory)
    Beer-hall putsch? Kristellnacht? Reichstag fire? Occupation of the
    Rhineland? Killing homosexuals?
    Killing "other mental defectives"? Anschluss? Killing Gypsies? Invading
    Czechoslovakia? Poland?

    How many dead from organised militarised eco-Nazism? How many enslaved?

    On my planet we make quite a fuss about "never forget", "lest we
    forget" etc, but elsewhere it seems
    that it's a dead loss.
    I don't know if it's ignorance or just a set of buttons being pushed in
    order to outrage.
    I guess "tree-huggers" are fair game for outrage, but they're only one
    half of your comparison.
    Who else do you think might be a little upset by the comparison? In
    case you don't recall, the
    Nazis haven't yet totally succeeded; some of their victims did survive
    to tell the tale.
    Wasted on some, it seems.

    This message might contain confidential information. If it has been sent toyou in error please do not forward it or copy it or act upon its contents,but report it to postmaster@schroders.com

    Schroders has the right lawfully to record, monitor and inspect messages between its employees and any third party. Your messages shall be subject to such lawful supervision as Schroders deems to be necessary in order to protect its information, its interests and its reputation.

    Schroders prohibits and takes steps to prevent its information systems frombeing used to view, store or forward offensive or discriminatory material.If this message contains such material please report it to abuse@schroders..com

    Schroders does not normally accept or offer business instructions via emailunless prior agreements are in place. Any action that you might take upon this message might be at your own risk.

    Schroder Investment Management Limited
    31 Gresham Street
    London EC2V 7QA

    Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Schroder Investment Management Limited is entered on the FSA register under the following register number: 119348

    Registered Office
    31 Gresham Street
    London EC2V 7QA

    Registered number 1893220
    VAT registration number 243 8687 30

  4. Re: OT: I call Godwin

    Rubbish.

    Here we go -

    http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/ddt/

    http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/od...te_in_unfair.h
    tm

    As a father of 4 girls and a grandfather of 1, the picture of that
    little girl is very moving; we have the technology and the resources to
    remedy this situation. We just do not have the guts to ignore the
    eco-nazis. So the next time you defend AGW and the DDT ban, just
    remember you are enabling the kind of suffering and despair in that
    picture.

    Denys...

    * Please Note : This message was received from the Internet *