Re: OT: I call Godwin - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT: I call Godwin - Hewlett Packard ; On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:22:35 +0000, Roy Brown wrote: >In message , Denys Beauchemin > writes > >>It would take a few years to get those things on >>line and I can guarantee you the eco-Nazis will fight every ...

  1. Re: OT: I call Godwin

    wrote:

    >In message <000001c883ec$173ad030$45b07090$@net>, Denys Beauchemin
    > writes
    >
    >>It would take a few years to get those things on
    >>line and I can guarantee you the eco-Nazis will fight every goosestep of the
    >>way, before they resort to outright sabotage and terrorism.

    >I call Godwin.
    >
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
    >
    >"For example, there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet
    >discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is
    >finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically "lost"
    >whatever debate was in progress. This principle is itself frequently
    >referred to as Godwin's Law."
    >
    >This thread is finished; it's over; you're done; you've lost.
    >
    >--
    >Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
    >Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris

    However, Godwin's Law itself can be abused, as a distraction or diversion, that
    fallaciously miscasts an opponent's argument as hyperbole, especially if the
    comparisons made by the argument are actually appropriate. A 2005 Reason
    magazine article argued that Godwin's Law is often misused to ridicule even
    valid comparisons.[9] ;->

  2. Re: OT: I call Godwin

    In message , Brice Yokem
    writes
    >On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:22:35 +0000, Roy Brown
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In message <000001c883ec$173ad030$45b07090$@net>, Denys Beauchemin
    >> writes

    >>>It would take a few years to get those things on line and I can
    >>>guarantee you the eco-Nazis will fight every goosestep of the way,
    >>>before they resort to outright sabotage and terrorism.

    >>I call Godwin.

    >However, Godwin's Law itself can be abused, as a distraction or
    >diversion, that fallaciously miscasts an opponent's argument as
    >hyperbole, especially if the comparisons made by the argument are
    >actually appropriate.

    If anyone thinks that Denys' arguments are not hyperbole

    > A 2005 Reason magazine article argued that Godwin's Law is often
    >misused to ridicule even valid comparisons.[9] ;->

    and that the comparisons are appropriate

    then there would seem to be no way I can reach them :-(