HP-35s INPUT(I) FUNCTION BROKEN? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP-35s INPUT(I) FUNCTION BROKEN? - Hewlett Packard ; On page 14-22/23 of the HP-35s User Guide, it is stated that the Indirect Addressed Variables can be used with the STO, RCL, VIEW, and INPUT commands. When I try to use INPUT(I) in a program, I get an "INVALID ...

  1. HP-35s INPUT(I) FUNCTION BROKEN?

    On page 14-22/23 of the HP-35s User Guide, it is stated that the
    Indirect Addressed Variables can be used with the STO, RCL, VIEW, and
    INPUT commands. When I try to use INPUT(I) in a program, I get an
    "INVALID (I)" error message. I have checked that the indirect
    variable was created properly by a preceding STO(I) command, and of
    course the calculator let me enter the INPUT(I) command into program
    memory in the first place. What's up with this error message? Is
    this a malfunction in my calculator that I can return it for warantee
    replacement? Or is this a "bug" in all of them? If the owner's
    manual says the function is supposed to be available, and the
    calculator actually allows the command to be placed into a program,
    then it certainly seems like it ought to work.

    I sent an inquiry about this to HP Customer Support and got back a
    totally worthless 1 sentence reply, that said only that questions
    about programming are not included in Tech Support. HP, did you even
    read my inquiry? My question isn't about programming! It's about a
    function that your device is supposed to have, and the owner's manual
    says it's supposed to be there, but it's BROKEN.

  2. Re: HP-35s INPUT(I) FUNCTION BROKEN?

    On Mar 13, 3:16 pm, Cat25_Quiet_Time wrote:
    > On page 14-22/23 of the HP-35s User Guide, it is stated that the
    > Indirect Addressed Variables can be used with the STO, RCL, VIEW, and
    > INPUT commands. When I try to use INPUT(I) in a program, I get an
    > "INVALID (I)" error message. I have checked that the indirect
    > variable was created properly by a preceding STO(I) command, and of
    > course the calculator let me enter the INPUT(I) command into program
    > memory in the first place. What's up with this error message? Is
    > this a malfunction in my calculator that I can return it for warantee
    > replacement? Or is this a "bug" in all of them? If the owner's
    > manual says the function is supposed to be available, and the
    > calculator actually allows the command to be placed into a program,
    > then it certainly seems like it ought to work.
    >
    > I sent an inquiry about this to HP Customer Support and got back a
    > totally worthless 1 sentence reply, that said only that questions
    > about programming are not included in Tech Support. HP, did you even
    > read my inquiry? My question isn't about programming! It's about a
    > function that your device is supposed to have, and the owner's manual
    > says it's supposed to be there, but it's BROKEN.

    google http://www.hpmuseum.org for the known HP35S bugs, it's all there

  3. Re: HP-35s INPUT(I) FUNCTION BROKEN?

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 00:04:27 -0500, reth wrote:

    > google http://www.hpmuseum.org for the known HP35S bugs, it's all there

    So here is a thread (with contributions by reth):

    "35S INPUT (I) bug"
    http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiw...gi?read=120494

    The very last post says:

    Re: 35S INPUT (I) bug
    Message #31 Posted by Don Shepherd on 6 Aug 2007, 4:56 p.m.,

    INPUT (I) works in a program,
    but only if register I contains a value
    between -26 (register Z) and -1 (register A).
    The manual, as Gene [Wright] pointed out, is erroneous by implying
    that all 800 indirect registers can be used with INPUT (I).

    General bug list:
    http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiw...s.cgi?read=735

    ..

+ Reply to Thread