Re: OT: Which is your favorite? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT: Which is your favorite? - Hewlett Packard ; As far as alternative energy is concerned, I am all in favor, if it can be done without being driven by politics. When nuclear power is discussed, the fossil fuel companies mumble to the republicans 'profits... campaign contributions... grumble grumble...' ...

  1. Re: OT: Which is your favorite?

    As far as alternative energy is concerned, I am all in favor, if it can be
    done without being driven by politics.

    When nuclear power is discussed, the fossil fuel companies mumble to the
    republicans 'profits... campaign contributions... grumble grumble...'

    The environmental movement turns to the democrats and says
    'ENVIRONMENTAL CATASTROPHE' by reflex.

    That pretty much ends the discussion.

  2. Re: OT: Which is your favorite?

    According to the DOE, the US electricity generation in 2006 amounted to a
    little over 4 million megawatt hours. Of this, 49% was generated in
    coal-fired plants, 20% by Natural Gas, 19% nuclear, 7% hydro, 2% oil and 2%
    other renewable resources like solar, wind, etc.

    We have not built a nuclear power plant in 30 years. In France, for
    example, 80% of the electricity is nuclear generated. Whenever someone
    wants to build a nuclear power plant in this country, the only people who
    make noises and ultimately block the power plant are environmentalists. I
    have never, ever heard a fossil fuel company (big oil) make any noises
    against such a power plant. As you can see, Big Oil is virtually
    non-existent in electricity generation. It would also be "a bad thing" for
    Big Oil to even consider doing this, it would be counterproductive as they
    would like to build more refineries and they are prevented from doing so by
    the same gang that prevents nuclear power plants.

    Denys