NVidia 7800 GTX PCIe works some of the time - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on NVidia 7800 GTX PCIe works some of the time - Hewlett Packard ; I installed my NVidia 7800 GTX PCIe in my dx5150 MT, after upgrading my power supply to 550W. The video card is connected to the PS as well. I have "PCIe" selected in the BIOS as the preferred video. About ...

  1. NVidia 7800 GTX PCIe works some of the time

    I installed my NVidia 7800 GTX PCIe in my dx5150 MT, after upgrading
    my power supply to 550W. The video card is connected to the PS as
    well. I have "PCIe" selected in the BIOS as the preferred video.

    About half the time I boot, the NVidia card works and I can use my
    dual DVI monitors just fine. Other times, the card is not recognized
    at all and I have to flip the DVI cable back to the onboard ATI DVI
    output.

    When the card is not detected, Windows Device Manager shows nothing
    except the ATI adapter.

    What else can I try to get my NVidia card to work reliably as my
    primary adapter?

    Thanks,
    Mark

  2. Re: NVidia 7800 GTX PCIe works some of the time

    Step one: Pull the card and check the contact edge. Clean carefully with as
    pencil eraser if necessary. Then reseat the card in the slot several times
    to be sure it is fully seated.
    Sometimes an expansion card can look seated at first but not be fully.

    HH

    "Mark A. Richman" wrote in message
    > I installed my NVidia 7800 GTX PCIe in my dx5150 MT, after upgrading
    > my power supply to 550W. The video card is connected to the PS as
    > well. I have "PCIe" selected in the BIOS as the preferred video.
    >
    > About half the time I boot, the NVidia card works and I can use my
    > dual DVI monitors just fine. Other times, the card is not recognized
    > at all and I have to flip the DVI cable back to the onboard ATI DVI
    > output.
    >
    > When the card is not detected, Windows Device Manager shows nothing
    > except the ATI adapter.
    >
    > What else can I try to get my NVidia card to work reliably as my
    > primary adapter?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

  3. Re: NVidia 7800 GTX PCIe works some of the time

    Is your power supply SLI ready or are you using the power adapters
    that came with the card? Check to see that the power supply is feeding
    the card with power by trying another power supply or at least try a
    different power plug than the one your using. As said above make sure
    your card is seated correctly too.

  4. Re: NVidia 7800 GTX PCIe works some of the time

    On Mar 11, 9:18 am, utah...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Is your power supply SLI ready or are you using the power adapters
    > that came with the card? Check to see that the power supply is feeding
    > the card with power by trying another power supply or at least try a
    > different power plug than the one your using. As said above make sure
    > your card is seated correctly too.

    Is it possible the Nvidia card is not playing nice with the onboard
    ATI chipset? Might I have to swap it out for a Radeon?

+ Reply to Thread