|i| -> 1 -- Flag? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on |i| -> 1 -- Flag? - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, I don't what happened but all of a sudden my HP 50g doesn't give me the module of complex numbers. When I press ABS, and I have a complex number, say i on the stack, it turns it into ...

  1. |i| -> 1 -- Flag?

    Hi,
    I don't what happened but all of a sudden my HP 50g doesn't give me
    the module of complex numbers. When I press ABS, and I have a complex
    number, say i on the stack, it turns it into |i|, but it doesn't give
    the actual value. This happened to me already and I couldn't find how
    to change it so I reset and it was OK again, but I don't want to reset
    again. What do I need to change?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: |i| -> 1 -- Flag?

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 13:53:19 -0500:

    > I don't know what happened but all of a sudden...
    > when I press ABS with 'i' on the stack, it turns into |i|,
    > but it doesn't give the actual value.

    > What do I need to change?

    In MODE CAS:
    check "Numeric" (set flag -3) or un-check "Approx" (clear flag -105)

    [why the latter, by the way?]

    At least you were in "Rigorous" mode (flag -119 cleared),
    or else the result would have just remained 'i'

    This last thing shows the hazard of turning "rigorous" off,
    which often silently ignores the ABS function for all symbolic arguments.

    [r->] [OFF]

+ Reply to Thread