Re: Help - System Abort 1730 from Subsystem 107 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: Help - System Abort 1730 from Subsystem 107 - Hewlett Packard ; On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 23:23:09 -0500, Dave Bartlet wrote: >We have a 4way 979 no longer on support which has decided to fail every day >or 2 with this error. Would anyone know how to determine what the cause ...

  1. Re: Help - System Abort 1730 from Subsystem 107

    wrote:

    >We have a 4way 979 no longer on support which has decided to fail every day
    >or 2 with this error. Would anyone know how to determine what the cause of
    >this error is? The full msg is:
    >System Abort 1730 from Subsystem 107
    >System Halt 7, $06C2

    No use asking you to dump and request help from the RC I guess, if this is
    no longer on support.
    W/o a dump hard to tell but could be you are running out of a table space,
    TBLMON or THMGR could tell you more. Popular reason is POSIX files
    accumulating too many small extents, frequently that is the diagnostics
    logfiles under /var/stm/logs somewhere.

    There might be a script on Jazz that helps finding files with many extents,
    I would look for files with > 10,000 extents.

    Goetz

  2. Re: Help - System Abort 1730 from Subsystem 107

    too many files in any directory structure (traditional mpe or new)
    will bring an mpe system to it's knees.

    consider getting 'filecnt' from:
    http://jazz.external.hp.com/src/scri...dex.html...and running it on
    a regular basis!

    there is a 'numsects' script -- but the no longer needed comment is
    worth noting. additionally, if you have mpex, you should be able to
    do a listf according to sectors size. - d
    --------------------------------
    On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Goetz Neumann wrote:
    > On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 23:23:09 -0500, Dave Bartlet
    > wrote:
    >
    > >We have a 4way 979 no longer on support which has decided to fail every day
    > >or 2 with this error. Would anyone know how to determine what the cause of
    > >this error is? The full msg is:
    > >System Abort 1730 from Subsystem 107
    > >System Halt 7, $06C2

    > No use asking you to dump and request help from the RC I guess, if this is
    > no longer on support.
    > W/o a dump hard to tell but could be you are running out of a table space,
    > TBLMON or THMGR could tell you more. Popular reason is POSIX files
    > accumulating too many small extents, frequently that is the diagnostics
    > logfiles under /var/stm/logs somewhere.
    >
    > There might be a script on Jazz that helps finding files with many extents,
    > I would look for files with > 10,000 extents.
    >
    > Goetz

  3. Re: Help - System Abort 1730 from Subsystem 107

    Goetz Neumann wrote: There might be a script on Jazz that helps finding files with many extents,
    I would look for files with > 10,000 extents.

    FILECNT - A script that counts the number of files and directories under any account or directory specified. Wildcards supported. Has been used on large systems with many, many files in a single group. If the script above fails with CIERR 1743 - an IF command nesting problem, please try this version, which is a tarball containing 3 files: a script FILECNT2, a simple NM program that calls the HPCICOMMAND intrinsic, and the source to this NM program. The FILECNT2 version is slower since a process is created for each directory traversal, but should not suffer from an arbitrary nesting limit. Try FILECNT first since it is faster. FILECNT can provide a recursive directory traversal framework that other scripts can utilize.

    http://jazz.external.hp.com/src/scripts/FILECNT

    -Craig