Fastest way to calculate IRR (TIR) - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Fastest way to calculate IRR (TIR) - Hewlett Packard ; Im currently doing some financial calculations on my 50g, using "Finanzas HP49g" by Erick Valverde Aguilera. Great library indeed but IRR (Internal Rate of Return or Tasa Interna de Retorno in spanish) calculations are quite slow sometimes. I wonder if ...

  1. Fastest way to calculate IRR (TIR)

    Im currently doing some financial calculations on my 50g, using
    "Finanzas HP49g" by Erick Valverde Aguilera.
    Great library indeed but IRR (Internal Rate of Return or Tasa Interna
    de Retorno in spanish) calculations are quite slow sometimes.

    I wonder if anybody is aware of whats the fastest way of doing this
    kind of calculations on a 50g.

    Itd be amazing if someone knowledgeable on HPGCC would release an
    ultra-fast financial solver.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Fastest way to calculate IRR (TIR)

    Im currently doing some financial calculations on my 50g, using
    "Finanzas HP49g" by Erick Valverde Aguilera.
    Great library indeed but IRR (Internal Rate of Return or Tasa Interna
    de Retorno in spanish) calculations are quite slow sometimes.
    I wonder if anybody is aware of whats the fastest way of doing this
    kind of calculations on a 50g.
    Itd be amazing if someone knowledgeable on HPGCC would release an
    ultra-fast financial solver.
    Thanks.

    You might consider a Modified Dietz instead. And a practical use of a
    Modified Dietz would simply be to set gain or loss against an average
    balance so that a big deposit or a big withdrawal does not misrepresent the
    fundamental gain or loss...

    Here is a user link to KBH Investor Accounting as an example:

    http://www.kbhscape.com/kbh.htm

  3. Re: Fastest way to calculate IRR (TIR)

    > You might consider a Modified Dietz instead. And a practical use of a
    > Modified Dietz would simply be to set gain or loss against an average
    > balance so that a big deposit or a big withdrawal does not misrepresent
    > the fundamental gain or loss...

    That's set the gain or loss against an average deposit-withdrawal balance...

  4. Re: Fastest way to calculate IRR (TIR)

    On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 22:28:38 -0600, jdoliva wrote:

    > I'm currently doing some financial calculations on my 50g,
    > using "Finanzas HP49g" by Erick Valverde Aguilera.
    > Great library indeed but IRR (Internal Rate of Return or Tasa Interna
    > de Retorno in spanish) calculations are quite slow sometimes.

    > I wonder if anybody is aware of what's the fastest way
    > of doing this kind of calculations on a 50g.

    Problems which can be expressed as a polynomial
    (evenly spaced cash flows) can be solved directly
    by the built-in PROOT command (discarding all complex roots);
    a simple IRR (and TVM) program based on this was posted here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....a69b8f240340d4

    The built-in numerical solver (ROOT) can be hugely faster, however,
    when a reasonable formula and feasible initial guess are used,
    particularly if the number of cash flows is large,
    as illustrated in this case of 100 cash flows:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....a7bb597a5f0116

    An "irregular cash flows" solver (speed unknown) is part of this package:
    http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=fin49

    > It'd be amazing if someone knowledgeable on HPGCC
    > would release an ultra-fast financial solver.

    How many large projects do you need to evaluate per second?

    Good technique is often of more value than brute force.

    [r->] [OFF]

+ Reply to Thread