console stuttering - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on console stuttering - Hewlett Packard ; Our console seems different today. It seems to be pausing in output (eg doing a showout and getting all syslists etc) as though its timing out on enq/ack or ? I don't recall it doing this before, although it is ...

  1. console stuttering

    Our console seems different today. It seems to be pausing in output (eg doing a showout and getting all syslists etc) as though its timing out on enq/ack or ?
    I don't recall it doing this before, although it is visibly slower than a vt-mgr connection in display terms.
    Anybody have a ny hints please?

    its datacomm config is default AFAIK - 9600, none, 8, 1 , xon/xoff , enq-ack

    Thanks,
    John

  2. Re: console stuttering

    I had something similar several years ago. After double checking comm
    settings (which I forget), swapping terminals, etc., I took a veeerrrry deep
    breath and restarted the system.
    That fixed it. I was afraid I would be well & truely (*&^8ed if the console
    couldn't to the cpu well enough go get me thru the restart process.

    ?
    I don't recall it doing this before, although it is visibly slower than a
    vt-mgr connection in display terms.
    Anybody have a ny hints please?

    its datacomm config is default AFAIK - 9600, none, 8, 1 , xon/xoff , enq-ack

    Thanks,
    John

  3. Re: console stuttering

    Is the emulation type still an HP term, John?

    VT100 emulation doesn't respond with the TERM=10 handshake that MPE
    expects of terminals.

    You might try the HELLO usr.acct;TERM=10 to see if it is happier.

    Jack

    Our console seems different today. It seems to be pausing in output (eg
    doing
    a showout and getting all syslists etc) as though its timing out on
    enq/ack or
    ?
    I don't recall it doing this before, although it is visibly slower than
    vt-mgr connection in display terms.
    Anybody have a ny hints please?

    its datacomm config is default AFAIK - 9600, none, 8, 1 , xon/xoff ,
    enq-ack

    Thanks,
    John

  4. Re: console stuttering

    "Dave Powell, MMfab" wrote: I had something similar several years ago. After double checking comm
    settings (which I forget), swapping terminals, etc., I took a veeerrrry deep
    breath and restarted the system.
    That fixed it. I was afraid I would be well & truely (*&^8ed if the console
    couldn't to the cpu well enough go get me thru the restart process.

    Did John mention the model of HP3K that is having the problem.

    If it is an N-Class, it may be helpful to reset the GSP, with the magicial Tech Paper clip.

    -Craig

  5. Re: console stuttering

    Its a proper hp 2934 or whatever the number is, nothing emulated.

    Our console seems different today. It seems to be pausing in output (eg
    doing
    a showout and getting all syslists etc) as though its timing out on
    enq/ack or
    ?
    I don't recall it doing this before, although it is visibly slower than
    vt-mgr connection in display terms.
    Anybody have a ny hints please?

    its datacomm config is default AFAIK - 9600, none, 8, 1 , xon/xoff ,
    enq-ack

    Thanks,
    John

  6. Re: console stuttering

    Would rather not restart it just for this, it does eventually finish what it doing.
    As a fallback I have restarted a 928 using hyperterm on a pc as the console, and it worked fine using the std console cable to a serial port. One of our issues with old hp terminals is running out of working keyboards...

    jp