Installing Windows on HP - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Installing Windows on HP - Hewlett Packard ; Hello. I have my own box version of Windows XP and I wonder if it is possible to install this normal Windows on HP laptops? I'm asking because I know that for example Fujitsu-Siemens requires specially prepared version of Windows ...

  1. Installing Windows on HP

    Hello.

    I have my own box version of Windows XP and I wonder if it is possible
    to install this normal Windows on HP laptops?

    I'm asking because I know that for example Fujitsu-Siemens requires
    specially prepared version of Windows and it does not allow normal
    Windows to be installed. That, I assume, is because of special drivers
    included.

    Do HPs also require special Windows?

    The model I'm refering to is HP 6720s, T5470 processor, 1GiB of RAM,
    120GiB HDD.

    P.S.
    I know I can prepare special version of Windows for the laptop but I
    would like to get an answer for the general question. Like with F-S -
    it does require special Windows.

    --
    Regards
    Andre

  2. Re: Installing Windows on HP

    Your own boxed version of XP will install just fine, but then you will have to
    hunt down the additional drivers VERY likely you will need. Windows XP out of
    the box does not have drivers for the later Pentium 4 systems, for example. If
    you can't find them on the HP web site, then try the motherboard and/or chipset
    manufacturers' web sites. Here in the 21st century with commoditized personal
    computer, the manufacturers' drivers work perfectly well because no name brand
    manufacturer has yet been stupid enough to get changes to chipset designs.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 15:19:55 +0000 (UTC), "Andre"
    wrote:

    >Hello.
    >
    >I have my own box version of Windows XP and I wonder if it is possible
    >to install this normal Windows on HP laptops?
    >
    >I'm asking because I know that for example Fujitsu-Siemens requires
    >specially prepared version of Windows and it does not allow normal
    >Windows to be installed. That, I assume, is because of special drivers
    >included.
    >
    >Do HPs also require special Windows?
    >
    >The model I'm refering to is HP 6720s, T5470 processor, 1GiB of RAM,
    >120GiB HDD.
    >

    >P.S.
    >I know I can prepare special version of Windows for the laptop but I
    >would like to get an answer for the general question. Like with F-S -
    >it does require special Windows.

  3. Re: Installing Windows on HP

    http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting

    >On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 15:19:55 +0000 (UTC), "Andre"
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Hello.
    >>
    >>I have my own box version of Windows XP and I wonder if it is possible
    >>to install this normal Windows on HP laptops?
    >>
    >>I'm asking because I know that for example Fujitsu-Siemens requires
    >>specially prepared version of Windows and it does not allow normal
    >>Windows to be installed. That, I assume, is because of special drivers
    >>included.
    >>
    >>Do HPs also require special Windows?
    >>
    >>The model I'm refering to is HP 6720s, T5470 processor, 1GiB of RAM,
    >>120GiB HDD.
    >>

    >>P.S.
    >>I know I can prepare special version of Windows for the laptop but I
    >>would like to get an answer for the general question. Like with F-S -
    >>it does require special Windows.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page