From: Robert Mills
Sent: 05 March 2008 15:03
To: 3000-L Mail List (hp3000-l@raven.utc.edu)
Subject: Date arithmetic on Unix

Greetings to the -L,

I know that this is not an MPE question but I gather that there are
loads of e3000 sites out there that also have 9000's and other Unix
boxes.

I have been asked to take an existing Korn (ksh) script and remove the
need to manually edit some dates in it (today - 1 month, today - 1 day,
today + 1 day, today + 1 month, etc) by getting the shell to calculate
them itself.

All the methods I have currently found required a date command which
recognises the -d switch. Unfortunately our doesn't.

If I am unable to get the shell to do it then I'll have to write a small
program in C or C++ which will open a can of worms with the supplier of
the system.

Any suggestions (clean ones please) will be gratefully received.

regards,

Robert W.Mills
Business Systems Development Analyst
Group Information Systems & Technology