Re: newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk - - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk - - Hewlett Packard ; --- Original message from mag : --- > Hi, > > I have a tape that I'd like to store to a disk file. I don't want to actually > restore the files to the system, I only want to ...

  1. Re: newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk -

    --- Original message from mag : ---
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a tape that I'd like to store to a disk file. I don't want to actually
    > restore the files to the system, I only want to kind of create an image of the
    > file on disk. How do I do that?
    >
    > thanks

    this is more of a question than an answer...

    does MPE have the Unix "dd" command or an equivalent?

    on Linux I could make a disk image of a tape using a command such as...

    dd bs=265b if=/dev/st0 of=/tmp/tape.img

    --- Original message from Stan Sieler : ---
    > Free: TAPECOPY
    > http://www.allegro.com/software/hp30....html#TAPECOPY
    > (IIRC, there was at least one other free program, with the same limitations as
    > TAPECOPY)

    is the source code for the TAPECOPY program available?

    thanks,
    Ed

  2. Re: newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk -

    Ed King wrote:
    this is more of a question than an answer...

    does MPE have the Unix "dd" command or an equivalent?

    on Linux I could make a disk image of a tape using a command such as...

    dd bs=265b if=/dev/st0 of=/tmp/tape.img

    Yes it does, in the POSIX shell... SH.HPBIN.SYS

    You will need to do a mknod first... search the archives, sorry.

    -Craig