Sendmail - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Sendmail - Hewlett Packard ; Apologies for my lamentable ignorance in this topic area but I have a scary situation looming. We use sendmail heavily (MPE/ix 6.5 pp2 + sendmail version 8.13.1). The business will be migrating to a new exchange server but despite all ...

  1. Sendmail

    Apologies for my lamentable ignorance in this topic area but I have a
    scary situation looming. We use sendmail heavily (MPE/ix 6.5 pp2 +
    sendmail version 8.13.1). The business will be migrating to a new
    exchange server but despite all the jigging with what I can find
    relevent in the sendmail configuration file, all mails are going via
    the existing mail server. So the dumb question is what directs
    sendmail to the mail server? I have even tried changing the
    RESLVCNF.NET file although I thought this had been superceded. My
    worry is that when the existing mail server is replaced / switched how
    or will SENDMAIL still function? Any thoughts, comments and guidance
    welcome as always.

    Rgds
    Paul E

  2. Re: Sendmail

    PaulE wrote:
    > Apologies for my lamentable ignorance in this topic area but I have a
    > scary situation looming. We use sendmail heavily (MPE/ix 6.5 pp2 +
    > sendmail version 8.13.1). The business will be migrating to a new
    > exchange server but despite all the jigging with what I can find
    > relevent in the sendmail configuration file, all mails are going via
    > the existing mail server. So the dumb question is what directs
    > sendmail to the mail server? I have even tried changing the
    > RESLVCNF.NET file although I thought this had been superceded. My
    > worry is that when the existing mail server is replaced / switched how
    > or will SENDMAIL still function? Any thoughts, comments and guidance
    > welcome as always.
    >
    > Rgds
    > Paul E

    Dear Paul,

    How do you use Sendmail? To send mail or also receive email?

    What is your current mail server?

    RESLVCNF.NET tells the system where to find DNS servers, not directly
    where to find a mailserver. The DNS should tell the server where to find
    a mailserver.

    The MX records in a domain file on a DNS server should do that.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: Sendmail

    On Mar 5, 7:23*pm, Jan Gerrit Kootstra
    wrote:
    > PaulE wrote:
    > > Apologies for my lamentable ignorance in this topic area but I have a
    > > scary situation looming. We use sendmail heavily (MPE/ix 6.5 pp2 +
    > > sendmail version 8.13.1). The business will be migrating to a new
    > > exchange server but despite all the jigging with what I can find
    > > relevent in the sendmail configuration file, all mails are going via
    > > the existing mail server. So the dumb question is what directs
    > > sendmail to the mail server? I have even tried changing the
    > > RESLVCNF.NET file although I thought this had been superceded. My
    > > worry is that when the existing mail server is replaced / switched how
    > > or will SENDMAIL still function? Any thoughts, comments and guidance
    > > welcome as always.

    > > Rgds
    > > Paul E

    > Dear Paul,
    >
    > How do you use Sendmail? To send mail or also receive email?
    >
    > What is your current mail server?
    >
    > RESLVCNF.NET tells the system where to find DNS servers, not directly
    > where to find a mailserver. The DNS should tell the server where to find
    > a mailserver.
    >
    > The MX records in a domain file on a DNS server should do that.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra

    Jan

    Thanks for the reply which was useful. We use sendmail for outgoing
    only - maybe you can email me direct and we can further to discussion.
    I am in Germany so Central European Time and my email is
    paul.english@inmac.de.

    Rgds
    Paul E

  4. Re: Sendmail

    On Mar 5, 3:03*pm, PaulE wrote:
    > Apologies for my lamentable ignorance in this topic area but I have a
    > scary situation looming. We use sendmail heavily (MPE/ix 6.5 pp2 +
    > sendmail version 8.13.1). The business will be migrating to a new
    > exchange server but despite all the jigging with what I can find
    > relevent in the sendmail configuration file, all mails are going via
    > the existing mail server. So the dumb question is what directs
    > sendmail to the mail server? I have even tried changing the
    > RESLVCNF.NET file although I thought this had been superceded. My
    > worry is that when the existing mail server is replaced / switched how
    > or will SENDMAIL still function? Any thoughts, comments and guidance
    > welcome as always.
    >
    > Rgds
    > Paul E

    Thanks to the guys who replied, all good stuff - I tried emailing
    direct (not through SENDMAIL) but the deliveries were bounced. Thanks
    again.

+ Reply to Thread