Re: newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk - - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk - - Hewlett Packard ; Back in the day 80 ish we bought 8 7933's for 200K to replace 8 7920 removable pack disks, and you could tell when you were running a heavy database load. The disks would walk across the room. When we ...

  1. Re: newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk -

    Back in the day 80 ish we bought 8 7933's for 200K to replace 8 7920 removable pack disks, and you could tell when you were running a heavy database load. The disks would walk across the room. When we added a second series 64 system we bought 8 Falcon disks from EMC that were 670mb drives that were a knock off of the Eagle disks.
    The cs80 utility firmware was an issue and needed frequent firmware upgrades.

    >From: Steve Gray
    >Date: 2008/03/04 Tue PM 10:54:49 CST
    >To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    >Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk -

    >I believe the 7933 drives were around $33,000 each in the mid-80's.
    >

    >Regards,
    >

    >Steve Gray
    >Abtech Support

    joseph dolliver
    e3k solutions , inc
    41630 marie court
    leonardtown, md 20650
    301-475-6985

  2. Re: newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk -

    Yes, I remember well the dance of the '33. We had a huge floor space filled with about 100 of those disk drives, all in rows like an orchard.

    HP even came out with a rack which you placed over one disk drive and on which you could then set another drive. We drew the line at that point and never installed any of those.

    BTW, the HP7933 had a version called the 7935 which was removable. Actually either version has a removable disk pack, it's just that one was easier to open than the other.

    And let's not forget the PMs, where dental instruments were used to align the heads of the disk drives every six months or so. (Ah, the good old days.)

    Denys

    Back in the day 80 ish we bought 8 7933's for 200K to replace 8 7920 removable pack disks, and you could tell when you were running a heavy database load. The disks would walk across the room. When we added a second series 64 system we bought 8 Falcon disks from EMC that were 670mb drives that were a knock off of the Eagle disks.
    The cs80 utility firmware was an issue and needed frequent firmware upgrades.

    >From: Steve Gray
    >Date: 2008/03/04 Tue PM 10:54:49 CST
    >To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    >Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk -

    >I believe the 7933 drives were around $33,000 each in the mid-80's.
    >

    >Regards,
    >

    >Steve Gray
    >Abtech Support

    joseph dolliver
    e3k solutions , inc
    41630 marie court
    leonardtown, md 20650
    301-475-6985

  3. Re: newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk -

    In message <000001c87ec5$756aa6c0$603ff440$@net>, Denys Beauchemin
    writes

    >And let's not forget the PMs, where dental instruments were used to
    >align the heads of the disk drives every six months or so. (Ah, the
    >good old days.)

    >Denys

    So that's why HP3000 systems were so scalable.....
    --
    Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
    Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris

  4. Re: newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk -

    Roy writes:
    > >And let's not forget the PMs, where dental instruments were used to
    > >align the heads of the disk drives every six months or so. (Ah, the
    > >good old days.)

    > So that's why HP3000 systems were so scalable.....

    Roy deserves some kind of plaque for getting to the root of this thread...