newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk - - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk - - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, I have a tape that I'd like to store to a disk file. I don't want to actually restore the files to the system, I only want to kind of create an image of the file on disk. How ...

  1. newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk -

    Hi,

    I have a tape that I'd like to store to a disk file. I don't want to actually
    restore the files to the system, I only want to kind of create an image of the
    file on disk. How do I do that?

    thanks

  2. Re: newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk -

    I see a need there. We typically store directly to disk (albeit
    directly) frequently, then copy them to tape later. After copying them
    to tape we purge them. Some disc backup files have periodic purge
    times, Some are purged daily, some after 6 months, some after a year.
    (O.K. I have a lot of disc space to play with.)

    But after purging, I may want to put it back.

    A working example would be frequent Restores from the Disc file. Say on
    a test environment. Every time I crap out my test data, I'd rather
    restore (refresh) from disc than tape.

  3. Re: newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk -

    I think what Michael is looking for is Allegro's TapeCopy program:

    TAPECOPY copies a single reel STORE tape to disk as a STORE-to-disk file,
    and vice versa.
    (from www.allegro.com - downloads section)

    You could use this utility to copy an image of your store tape to disc (as a
    single file). Then to do a restore, you would use MPE's Restore command
    using the STD (Store to Disc) functionality. There are some limitations to
    TapeCopy - see the site for details.

    dave

    I see a need there. We typically store directly to disk (albeit
    directly) frequently, then copy them to tape later. After copying them to
    tape we purge them. Some disc backup files have periodic purge times, Some
    are purged daily, some after 6 months, some after a year.
    (O.K. I have a lot of disc space to play with.)

    But after purging, I may want to put it back.

    A working example would be frequent Restores from the Disc file. Say on a
    test environment. Every time I crap out my test data, I'd rather restore
    (refresh) from disc than tape.

  4. Re: newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk -

    And your average 3rd party backup software will also have this feature
    for its own product.

    Too bad USB ports never made to the HP3000, we could have had a lot of
    fun there with thumb drives as User Volumes or as other storage media.

  5. Re: newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk -

    Hi,

    > I have a tape that I'd like to store to a disk file. I don't want to actually
    > restore the files to the system, I only want to kind of create an image of the
    > file on disk. How do I do that?

    There are some free ways, and one product that will do this.

    Free: TAPECOPY
    http://www.allegro.com/software/hp30....html#TAPECOPY
    (IIRC, there was at least one other free program, with the same limitations as
    TAPECOPY)

    Product: TAPEDISK
    http://www.allegro.com/products/hp3000/tapedisk.html

    The primary difference is that if you have tapes with a record size of
    more than about 40 or 50 KB, the free programs won't be able to copy the
    data (and may not notice that they're losing data).

    The TAPEDISK product can copy tapes with any size of tape records, and records
    DDS setmarks.

    Both programs can re-create the tapes at a later date, of course.

    Stan
    --
    Stan Sieler
    sieler@allegro.com

  6. Re: newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk -

    "Johnson, Tracy" wrote: And your average 3rd party backup software will also have this feature
    for its own product.

    Too bad USB ports never made to the HP3000, we could have had a lot of
    fun there with thumb drives as User Volumes or as other storage media.

    Tracy,

    Keven Miller has graciously volunteered to write a USB driver... in his free time.

    -Craig

  7. Re: newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk -

    Since there are no USB ports on any machine that MPE currently runs on, this
    could not work. Also, I believe that a lot of the functionality of USB is
    built into the motherboard and the driver would interface with that. Since
    there are no USB ports on Par-RISc boxes, that I am aware of, it's not going
    to happen on the current hardware.

    I remember bringing up the USB issue to HP at some event during Harry
    Sterling's tenure. It was promptly shot down because in those days USB was
    limited to something like 12 megabits per second and was really for
    keyboards and similar stuff. My retort fo "but hardware always evolves,
    it'll get faster" was dismissed. That's ok, back in 1997 most people didn't
    even know what USB was and I didn't consider that we would have thumbdrives
    with multiple gigabytes of storage within 10 years.

    I still remember the Eagle 8 pack which provided 4GB of storage in one
    cabinet the size of a double door refrigerator and the weight of one, if it
    were filled with steel pellets.

    What will we be looking at in 2017? Multi-terabytes chips with wireless
    access?

    Denys

    "Johnson, Tracy" wrote: And your average
    3rd party backup software will also have this feature
    for its own product.

    Too bad USB ports never made to the HP3000, we could have had a lot of
    fun there with thumb drives as User Volumes or as other storage media.

    Tracy,

    Keven Miller has graciously volunteered to write a USB driver... in his free
    time.

    -Craig

  8. Re: newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk -

    Denys Beauchemin wrote:
    > I still remember the Eagle 8 pack which provided 4GB of storage in one
    > cabinet the size of a double door refrigerator and the weight of one, if it
    > were filled with steel pellets.

    We had one of the first "gigabyte" offerings from HP for our new Library
    online card catalog. The "gig" package was 3 of the 404Mb 7933 drives,
    somewhere between washing machine (shook like one) and dishwasher size
    each. There was a discount for a 3-pack :-) but it still had one heck
    of a price tag.

    We had Eagles too, and Coyotes.

    Jeff

  9. Re: newbie question -storing a file from tape to disk -

    I believe the 7933 drives were around $33,000 each in the mid-80's.

    Regards,

    Steve Gray
    Abtech Support