Half memory showing in HP Proliant DL380 G4 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Half memory showing in HP Proliant DL380 G4 - Hewlett Packard ; I have a HP Proliant DL380 G4 with the newest BIOS. The BIOS is only showing half of whatever memory I put into it (I put in 2X4GB sticks and each stick shows as 2GB in the BIOS, I put ...

  1. Half memory showing in HP Proliant DL380 G4

    I have a HP Proliant DL380 G4 with the newest BIOS. The BIOS is only
    showing half of whatever memory I put into it (I put in 2X4GB sticks
    and each stick shows as 2GB in the BIOS, I put in 2X4GB and 2X2GB and
    the 4GB show as 2GB whereas the 2GB shows as 1GB). I've went through
    the BIOS and cant find any settings that would affect this. The OS is
    Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition and I've set the OS so it can use
    larger then 3GB of ram. The OS is showing the same amount of ram as
    the BIOS.

    The 2GB sticks were in the machine, and I just added the 2X4GB sticks
    from a different DL380 G4.

  2. Re: Half memory showing in HP Proliant DL380 G4

    requeth@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have a HP Proliant DL380 G4 with the newest BIOS. The BIOS is only
    > showing half of whatever memory I put into it (I put in 2X4GB sticks
    > and each stick shows as 2GB in the BIOS, I put in 2X4GB and 2X2GB and
    > the 4GB show as 2GB whereas the 2GB shows as 1GB). I've went through
    > the BIOS and cant find any settings that would affect this. The OS is
    > Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition and I've set the OS so it can use
    > larger then 3GB of ram. The OS is showing the same amount of ram as
    > the BIOS.
    >
    > The 2GB sticks were in the machine, and I just added the 2X4GB sticks
    > from a different DL380 G4.

    There may be weird option for memory redundancy on that machine in the
    BIOS.

    I can't recall the HP term for it, but you end up with less RAM if it's
    on.

  3. Re: Half memory showing in HP Proliant DL380 G4

    Are you mixing any high density modules with low density modules?

  4. Re: Half memory showing in HP Proliant DL380 G4

    On Mar 4, 6:10*pm, ShadowTek wrote:
    > Are you mixing any high density modules with low density modules?

    Negative on both.

    I couldnt see any odd BIOS settings, and compaired to the machine
    where the RAM came from.

    Right now I have two identical 4GB ram chips in, the 2GB chips are not
    marked so I wanted to make sure with the 4GB chips.

  5. Re: Half memory showing in HP Proliant DL380 G4

    On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 06:32:11 -0800 (PST), "requeth@gmail.com" wrote:

    >On Mar 4, 6:10pm, ShadowTek wrote:
    >> Are you mixing any high density modules with low density modules?

    >Negative on both.
    >
    >I couldnt see any odd BIOS settings, and compaired to the machine
    >where the RAM came from.
    >
    >Right now I have two identical 4GB ram chips in, the 2GB chips are not
    >marked so I wanted to make sure with the 4GB chips.

    Your machine can only see 2GB per slot.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page