HP-35S keys and display - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP-35S keys and display - Hewlett Packard ; I'm not intending to start a gripe session. I just want to know if what I'm seeing on my HP-35S is unique, or if others have seen it. Item #1: Some of my keys are misfiring. That is, the tactile ...

  1. HP-35S keys and display

    I'm not intending to start a gripe session. I just want to know if
    what I'm seeing on my HP-35S is unique, or if others have seen it.

    Item #1: Some of my keys are misfiring. That is, the tactile
    feedback is there, but nothing shows up on the display. I need to
    push the key beyond the "click" and exert extra pressure in order for
    the keypress to be detected. I thought that the "click" and the key
    detection were supposed to go together.
    Currently, this affects the SIN and 5 keys -- both extremely important
    in hexadecimal mode.

    Item #2: The liquid crystal smears. When I rub my finger across the
    display, even lightly, it creates a persistent "smear" in the liquid
    crystal. This is normal behavior for LCDs, and a common phenomenon
    with larger LC displays. (I've seen an entire classroom set of TI-83s
    with permanent black dots in the middle of the display, from too many
    students poking the liquid crystal.) But I've never seen it with a
    display this small. The root cause of the problem is that the
    protective lens over the display is thin, flexible plastic, rather
    than a more rigid (or thicker) plastic -- or glass, like HP used to
    use.

    Has anybody else seen these problems with the HP-35S? Item #2 is a
    design decision and I can't do anything to fix it, but what about Item
    #1, the keys?

    --
    Regards
    Ray

  2. Re: HP-35S keys and display

    Ray,

    My 35s does miss keys, although I've always figured it was more due to timing
    rather than a lack of pressure on the key. I'll try to pay more attention in
    the future to discern which...

    My LCD doesn't smear when pressed. Possibly it's a production run-related
    issue?

  3. Re: HP-35S keys and display

    On 3 Mrz., 23:42, rdgoo...@uniqeng.com wrote:

    > Item #1: *Some of my keys are misfiring. *
    > Item #2: *The liquid crystal smears. *

    I'd never observed such a behaviour, neither item #1 nor item #2.

  4. Re: HP-35S keys and display

    rdgoogle@uniqeng.com wrote:
    > I'm not intending to start a gripe session. I just want to know if
    > what I'm seeing on my HP-35S is unique, or if others have seen it.
    >
    > Item #1: Some of my keys are misfiring. That is, the tactile
    > feedback is there, but nothing shows up on the display. I need to
    > push the key beyond the "click" and exert extra pressure in order for
    > the keypress to be detected. I thought that the "click" and the key
    > detection were supposed to go together.
    > Currently, this affects the SIN and 5 keys -- both extremely important
    > in hexadecimal mode.
    >
    > Item #2: The liquid crystal smears. When I rub my finger across the
    > display, even lightly, it creates a persistent "smear" in the liquid
    > crystal. This is normal behavior for LCDs, and a common phenomenon
    > with larger LC displays. (I've seen an entire classroom set of TI-83s
    > with permanent black dots in the middle of the display, from too many
    > students poking the liquid crystal.) But I've never seen it with a
    > display this small. The root cause of the problem is that the
    > protective lens over the display is thin, flexible plastic, rather
    > than a more rigid (or thicker) plastic -- or glass, like HP used to
    > use.
    >
    > Has anybody else seen these problems with the HP-35S? Item #2 is a
    > design decision and I can't do anything to fix it, but what about Item
    > #1, the keys?
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Ray

    It is well known now that the HP calculator line is junk. The two main
    QA/QC issues are 1) keyboard and 2) power consumption.

    A secondary issue is deceptive marketing. Pretend that QA/QC issues do
    not exist.

  5. Re: HP-35S keys and display

    On Mar 7, 2:06 pm, jobar wrote:
    > rdgoo...@uniqeng.com wrote:
    > > I'm not intending to start a gripe session. I just want to know if
    > > what I'm seeing on my HP-35S is unique, or if others have seen it.

    > > Item #1: Some of my keys are misfiring. That is, the tactile
    > > feedback is there, but nothing shows up on the display. I need to
    > > push the key beyond the "click" and exert extra pressure in order for
    > > the keypress to be detected. I thought that the "click" and the key
    > > detection were supposed to go together.
    > > Currently, this affects the SIN and 5 keys -- both extremely important
    > > in hexadecimal mode.

    > > Item #2: The liquid crystal smears. When I rub my finger across the
    > > display, even lightly, it creates a persistent "smear" in the liquid
    > > crystal. This is normal behavior for LCDs, and a common phenomenon
    > > with larger LC displays. (I've seen an entire classroom set of TI-83s
    > > with permanent black dots in the middle of the display, from too many
    > > students poking the liquid crystal.) But I've never seen it with a
    > > display this small. The root cause of the problem is that the
    > > protective lens over the display is thin, flexible plastic, rather
    > > than a more rigid (or thicker) plastic -- or glass, like HP used to
    > > use.

    > > Has anybody else seen these problems with the HP-35S? Item #2 is a
    > > design decision and I can't do anything to fix it, but what about Item
    > > #1, the keys?

    > > --
    > > Regards
    > > Ray

    > It is well known now that the HP calculator line is junk. The two main
    > QA/QC issues are 1) keyboard and 2) power consumption.
    >
    > A secondary issue is deceptive marketing. Pretend that QA/QC issues do
    > not exist.

    well known by whom? by dickheads like you?

  6. Re: HP-35S keys and display

    On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 01:57:00 -0800 (PST), reth wrote:

    >On Mar 7, 2:06 pm, jobar wrote:

    >> A secondary issue is deceptive marketing. Pretend that QA/QC issues do
    >> not exist.

    >well known by whom? by dickheads like you?

    By me.

    A.L.

  7. Re: HP-35S keys and display

    On Mar 6, 8:06 pm, jobar wrote:
    > rdgoo...@uniqeng.com wrote:
    > > I'm not intending to start a gripe session. I just want to know if
    > > what I'm seeing on my HP-35S is unique, or if others have seen it.

    > > Item #1: Some of my keys are misfiring. That is, the tactile
    > > feedback is there, but nothing shows up on the display. I need to
    > > push the key beyond the "click" and exert extra pressure in order for
    > > the keypress to be detected. I thought that the "click" and the key
    > > detection were supposed to go together.
    > > Currently, this affects the SIN and 5 keys -- both extremely important
    > > in hexadecimal mode.

    > > Item #2: The liquid crystal smears. When I rub my finger across the
    > > display, even lightly, it creates a persistent "smear" in the liquid
    > > crystal. This is normal behavior for LCDs, and a common phenomenon
    > > with larger LC displays. (I've seen an entire classroom set of TI-83s
    > > with permanent black dots in the middle of the display, from too many
    > > students poking the liquid crystal.) But I've never seen it with a
    > > display this small. The root cause of the problem is that the
    > > protective lens over the display is thin, flexible plastic, rather
    > > than a more rigid (or thicker) plastic -- or glass, like HP used to
    > > use.

    > > Has anybody else seen these problems with the HP-35S? Item #2 is a
    > > design decision and I can't do anything to fix it, but what about Item
    > > #1, the keys?

    > > --
    > > Regards
    > > Ray

    > It is well known now that the HP calculator line is junk. The two main
    > QA/QC issues are 1) keyboard and 2) power consumption.
    >
    > A secondary issue is deceptive marketing. Pretend that QA/QC issues do
    > not exist.

    That's no help. I'm looking for others who have seen these problems
    on the HP-35S. Your posting contributed nothing to this thread. So
    thanks for nothing.

  8. Re: HP-35S keys and display

    On Mar 8, 3:50 am, A.L. wrote:
    > On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 01:57:00 -0800 (PST), reth wrote:
    > >On Mar 7, 2:06 pm, jobar wrote:

    > >> A secondary issue is deceptive marketing. Pretend that QA/QC issues do
    > >> not exist.

    > >well known by whom? by dickheads like you?

    > By me.
    >
    > A.L.

    exactly!

  9. Re: HP-35S keys and display

    reth wrote:
    > On Mar 7, 2:06 pm, jobar wrote:
    >> rdgoo...@uniqeng.com wrote:
    >>> I'm not intending to start a gripe session. I just want to know if
    >>> what I'm seeing on my HP-35S is unique, or if others have seen it.
    >>> Item #1: Some of my keys are misfiring. That is, the tactile
    >>> feedback is there, but nothing shows up on the display. I need to
    >>> push the key beyond the "click" and exert extra pressure in order for
    >>> the keypress to be detected. I thought that the "click" and the key
    >>> detection were supposed to go together.
    >>> Currently, this affects the SIN and 5 keys -- both extremely important
    >>> in hexadecimal mode.
    >>> Item #2: The liquid crystal smears. When I rub my finger across the
    >>> display, even lightly, it creates a persistent "smear" in the liquid
    >>> crystal. This is normal behavior for LCDs, and a common phenomenon
    >>> with larger LC displays. (I've seen an entire classroom set of TI-83s
    >>> with permanent black dots in the middle of the display, from too many
    >>> students poking the liquid crystal.) But I've never seen it with a
    >>> display this small. The root cause of the problem is that the
    >>> protective lens over the display is thin, flexible plastic, rather
    >>> than a more rigid (or thicker) plastic -- or glass, like HP used to
    >>> use.
    >>> Has anybody else seen these problems with the HP-35S? Item #2 is a
    >>> design decision and I can't do anything to fix it, but what about Item
    >>> #1, the keys?
    >>> --
    >>> Regards
    >>> Ray

    >> It is well known now that the HP calculator line is junk. The two main
    >> QA/QC issues are 1) keyboard and 2) power consumption.
    >>
    >> A secondary issue is deceptive marketing. Pretend that QA/QC issues do
    >> not exist.

    > well known by whom? by dickheads like you?

    Who you calling what? Step outside the bar. I am going to kick your ass!

  10. Re: HP-35S keys and display

    On Mar 3, 4:42 pm, rdgoo...@uniqeng.com wrote:
    > Item #1: Some of my keys are misfiring. That is, the tactile
    > feedback is there, but nothing shows up on the display. I need to
    > push the key beyond the "click" and exert extra pressure in order for
    > the keypress to be detected. I thought that the "click" and the key
    > detection were supposed to go together.
    > Currently, this affects the SIN and 5 keys -- both extremely important
    > in hexadecimal mode.

    I have a HP-55, and I had to take it apart to clean the contacts for
    the top row of keys. Anyway, when I put it back together, I found
    that if I didn't have everything lined up quite correctly I would get
    something like the "misfires" you describe. I'd guess that HP would
    fix/replace it if it's under warranty. Otherwise, maybe there is some
    tightening/aligning you can do. I don't know exactly, as I don't have
    a 35s.

    Good luck,
    -Jonathan

+ Reply to Thread