DV 6500 Notebook Battery Discharge While Shutdown - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on DV 6500 Notebook Battery Discharge While Shutdown - Hewlett Packard ; Have a HP DV6500 notebook with AMD Turion CPU. While the Notebook is shutdown after a week of non use the battery discharges to 40% of capacity. Calibrated the battery charge level. Contacted HP support and they sent a new ...

  1. DV 6500 Notebook Battery Discharge While Shutdown

    Have a HP DV6500 notebook with AMD Turion CPU.
    While the Notebook is shutdown after a week of non use the battery
    discharges to 40% of capacity.
    Calibrated the battery charge level.
    Contacted HP support and they sent a new battery and have the same
    problem.
    If I remove the battery from the Notebook for a week it only loses 2%
    of its charge.
    Any thoughts what might be consuming battery power while the Notebook
    is shutdown and how to disable it????

    Joe

  2. Re: DV 6500 Notebook Battery Discharge While Shutdown

    Shut down and disconnected from AC adapter? If so, this is normal. My
    Toshiba notebook does the same thing.

    HH

    "Joe" wrote in message
    > Have a HP DV6500 notebook with AMD Turion CPU.
    > While the Notebook is shutdown after a week of non use the battery
    > discharges to 40% of capacity.
    > Calibrated the battery charge level.
    > Contacted HP support and they sent a new battery and have the same
    > problem.
    > If I remove the battery from the Notebook for a week it only loses 2%
    > of its charge.
    > Any thoughts what might be consuming battery power while the Notebook
    > is shutdown and how to disable it????
    >
    > Joe

  3. Re: DV 6500 Notebook Battery Discharge While Shutdown

    I have Dv6100 and not a problem after a week.
    When you Control Panel - Power, SHUTDOWN it is set to Power Off , right ?
    Not standby ?
    (Just checking)
    HP.com has a diagnostic for MY battery.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...3250975&dlc=en
    Look up your model there in case not the same.

    Mine DID die after 11 months, so they had me run diag and the diag showed
    "Bad battery". They then sent me a replacement battery. I don't use for a
    month or two at a time and maybe down 10 percent - but not 40%.

    Bobb

    "HH" wrote in message
    news:kZCdnfrCoqOh1FbanZ2dnUVZ_hOdnZ2d@metrocastcab levision.com...
    > Shut down and disconnected from AC adapter? If so, this is normal. My
    > Toshiba notebook does the same thing.
    >
    > HH
    >
    > "Joe" wrote in message
    >> Have a HP DV6500 notebook with AMD Turion CPU.
    >> While the Notebook is shutdown after a week of non use the battery
    >> discharges to 40% of capacity.
    >> Calibrated the battery charge level.
    >> Contacted HP support and they sent a new battery and have the same
    >> problem.
    >> If I remove the battery from the Notebook for a week it only loses 2%
    >> of its charge.
    >> Any thoughts what might be consuming battery power while the Notebook
    >> is shutdown and how to disable it????
    >>
    >> Joe

  4. Re: DV 6500 Notebook Battery Discharge While Shutdown

    Joe wrote:
    > Have a HP DV6500 notebook with AMD Turion CPU.
    > While the Notebook is shutdown after a week of non use the battery
    > discharges to 40% of capacity.
    > Calibrated the battery charge level.
    > Contacted HP support and they sent a new battery and have the same
    > problem.
    > If I remove the battery from the Notebook for a week it only loses 2%
    > of its charge.
    > Any thoughts what might be consuming battery power while the Notebook
    > is shutdown and how to disable it????
    >
    > Joe

    Yours has a remote control, right? If so, that is the cause. Even
    when the system is shutdown, it is still in standby mode - i.e. like the
    standby mode of a TV - because you can switch it on with the remote
    control, so it is still drawing power from the battery.

    FWIW, my HP Pavilion dv6570[ed] acts the same. After I found the
    cause, I remove the battery before going on holiday/vacation. After my
    recent six week holiday, the removed battery was still 91% full
    (measured after booting (without the AC/DC adapter)).

    For details, see my thread "Battery quickly discharges while laptop is
    shut down." of 30 Sep 2007 in this group (starting with article
    ).

    I hope this helps.

  5. Re: DV 6500 Notebook Battery Discharge While Shutdown

    I have had same issue when I didn't use my DV6113US laptop for several
    months and thought it was just a bad battery that died. Lately I've been
    using it weekly so hadn't noticed.

    I just came from HP website:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...n&printable=no

    where I found 11/2007 BIOS update for battery problem:

    sp38061.exe (3.12M)

    I will install and let you know

    I WAS at HP website and had a "contact us" form all filled out when I
    found this bios update. Figured I'd try id before yelling at them. ( I
    saved all the text here, so just past and send if needed)

    This is the XP version for MY model :
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...n&printable=no

    Release Date: 2007-11-30 Version: F.3D

    Description

    This package contains the WinFlash utility and a BIOS image
    for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The WinFlash
    utility is used to locally flash the System BIOS (ROM) on notebooks
    operating in a Microsoft Windows or Microsoft Windows Vista environment.

    PURPOSE: Critical

    Fixes

    a.. Updates the fan control algorithm of the system to reduce
    the likelihood of future system issues.
    a.. Fixes issue where the touchpad scroll function does not
    work on some notebooks.
    a.. Fixes issue where the battery fails.

    For a 6500 series - go here:
    http://h10061.www1.hp.com/ccsearch/s...x=0&submit.y=0

    "Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
    > Joe wrote:
    >> Have a HP DV6500 notebook with AMD Turion CPU.
    >> While the Notebook is shutdown after a week of non use the battery
    >> discharges to 40% of capacity.
    >> Calibrated the battery charge level.
    >> Contacted HP support and they sent a new battery and have the same
    >> problem.
    >> If I remove the battery from the Notebook for a week it only loses 2%
    >> of its charge.
    >> Any thoughts what might be consuming battery power while the Notebook
    >> is shutdown and how to disable it????
    >>
    >> Joe

    > Yours has a remote control, right? If so, that is the cause. Even
    > when the system is shutdown, it is still in standby mode - i.e. like the
    > standby mode of a TV - because you can switch it on with the remote
    > control, so it is still drawing power from the battery.
    >
    > FWIW, my HP Pavilion dv6570[ed] acts the same. After I found the
    > cause, I remove the battery before going on holiday/vacation. After my
    > recent six week holiday, the removed battery was still 91% full
    > (measured after booting (without the AC/DC adapter)).
    >
    > For details, see my thread "Battery quickly discharges while laptop is
    > shut down." of 30 Sep 2007 in this group (starting with article
    > ).
    >
    > I hope this helps.

  6. Re: DV Notebooks - EXTENDED Warranty from HP for FREE

    Do not toss the PC/ battery / pay anyone to fix the PC !!
    READ THIS

    While at the HP site about the battery issue:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3250975

    says:
    " ... If you are experiencing one or more symptoms listed below, and your
    computer meets the product criteria listed below, contact HP to determine
    whether you are eligible for a free repair. ..."
    Check it out . Bad battery ? 24 month warranty if the problem is listed
    there.
    click on link to go to a table and see if your PC model is listed.
    My model is a RG272UA so it's included in the free extended warranty!!

    Step 1: Identify your notebook series and product number
    Using the Service Tag on your notebook, determine if your notebook is one
    of the series in the table below.

    Click on your series in the table to see the complete list of included
    notebook product numbers.
    NOTE: After clicking on the link in the table you will be taken to a
    different Web page.

    If the product number of your notebook is listed in that table then return
    to this page and continue to Step 2 for further instructions....

    news:Bu6dnT4HHf4ZVGXanZ2dnUVZ_qmlnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

+ Reply to Thread