M8100N Media center PC question - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on M8100N Media center PC question - Hewlett Packard ; Hello All, I am having an issue with my 6-mo old Media Center PC. The computer has always be a minor problem but that may be more a Vista problem then a hardware problem. Anyway, up to last week I ...

  1. M8100N Media center PC question

    Hello All,

    I am having an issue with my 6-mo old Media Center PC. The computer
    has always be a minor problem but that may be more a Vista problem then
    a hardware problem. Anyway, up to last week I was able to watch and
    record all of my local digital tv stations. Monday (2/11) I lost a
    local network (2-actually). The channels are in the guide but it comes
    up as no signal (my tv sees the channels w/o problems using the same
    antenna). I have changed the antenna, moved the antenna, tried the
    tuner card in either PCI slot, reinstalled the vista driver, installed
    the hauppauge driver, reinstalled vista including all updates 2x and ran
    the media center set-up 3x. I sent an email to hauppauge to get their
    input but no response as of yet. I called HP who first told me the 6-mo
    computer was actually a 1.5 yrs old and there was no warranty... The
    warranty is good for another 6-mo. Anyway they said that the computer
    was ok, the card was ok but the tv station was changing their signal
    (software upgrade) and the computer, which has to decoded via software
    is having issues and I should wait a week or so. To me this sounds like
    the tuner on the card is going but since it sees all of the other
    stations fine I am not sure. What do you all think?

    thanks for your help
    mark

  2. Re: M8100N Media center PC question

    craigm wrote:
    snip
    > It is possible that the station made a change an the tuner/PC can no longer
    > decode the signal. I have one digital channel that cannot be decoded by the
    > PC, but works fine on the TV and a standalone tuner.

    I have sent the station an email about it. This is what HP also said, i
    though he was blowing smoke but it may be true. The signal strength on
    the TV is very good and the antenna is connected directly to the card.
    So we will wait to see what happens it may very well be the station.
    Thanks for your response.

    mark

  3. Re: M8100N Media center PC question

    r_d wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am having an issue with my 6-mo old Media Center PC. The computer
    > has always be a minor problem but that may be more a Vista problem then
    > a hardware problem. Anyway, up to last week I was able to watch and
    > record all of my local digital tv stations. Monday (2/11) I lost a
    > local network (2-actually). The channels are in the guide but it comes
    > up as no signal (my tv sees the channels w/o problems using the same
    > antenna). I have changed the antenna, moved the antenna, tried the
    > tuner card in either PCI slot, reinstalled the vista driver, installed
    > the hauppauge driver, reinstalled vista including all updates 2x and ran
    > the media center set-up 3x. I sent an email to hauppauge to get their
    > input but no response as of yet. I called HP who first told me the 6-mo
    > computer was actually a 1.5 yrs old and there was no warranty... The
    > warranty is good for another 6-mo. Anyway they said that the computer
    > was ok, the card was ok but the tv station was changing their signal
    > (software upgrade) and the computer, which has to decoded via software
    > is having issues and I should wait a week or so. To me this sounds like
    > the tuner on the card is going but since it sees all of the other
    > stations fine I am not sure. What do you all think?
    >

    > thanks for your help
    > mark

    Have you tried contacting the station engineers to see if they have4 made
    any changes that could cause the problem?

    If other digital stations are working, it is probably not the card. Unless
    you have a signal level problem. Try connecting the antenna directly to the
    tuner (making sure there are no splitters in-line). If this helps, then
    there may not be enough signal for the tuner to decode the channels.

    Check the signal levels with your TV (there should be a way to show received
    signal level). If the missing channels are the weakest, you might want to
    try to determine if you have damaged cable.

    It is possible that the station made a change an the tuner/PC can no longer
    decode the signal. I have one digital channel that cannot be decoded by the
    PC, but works fine on the TV and a standalone tuner.

+ Reply to Thread