simple programming with HP35s - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on simple programming with HP35s - Hewlett Packard ; A thirty year old program that I'm trying to put into this futuristic calculator is this: sto 4 x rcl 1 & rcl 3 = sto 5 rcl 4 x rcl 2 = sto 6. In RPN mode, which I ...

  1. simple programming with HP35s

    A thirty year old program that I'm trying to put into this futuristic
    calculator is this: sto 4 x rcl 1 & rcl 3 = sto 5 rcl 4 x
    rcl 2 = sto 6. In RPN mode, which I only just heard of, I can't put
    in that little equals sign and I don't understand how ENTER could
    possibly replace it in this program. And the book where I got this
    program mentioned that he preferred ALG mode in this work that I'm
    trying to do. If you reply, please keep the language simple and guide
    'er on home to a rough landing. Thanks, Kip

  2. Re: simple programming with HP35s

    On Feb 16, 2:02 pm, kiphopk...@comcast.net wrote:
    > A thirty year old program that I'm trying to put into this futuristic
    > calculator is this: sto 4 x rcl 1 & rcl 3 = sto 5 rcl 4 x
    > rcl 2 = sto 6. In RPN mode, which I only just heard of, I can't put
    > in that little equals sign and I don't understand how ENTER could
    > possibly replace it in this program. And the book where I got this
    > program mentioned that he preferred ALG mode in this work that I'm
    > trying to do. If you reply, please keep the language simple and guide
    > 'er on home to a rough landing. Thanks, Kip

    You'd better explain what exactly your "program" is supposed to rather
    than giving instructions about language used when answering your
    question. Also note that here is a place where people talk RPN
    language
    cheers,
    reth

  3. Re: simple programming with HP35s

    On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:49:34 -0800 (PST), reth wrote:

    >On Feb 16, 2:02 pm, kiphopk...@comcast.net wrote:
    >> A thirty year old program that I'm trying to put into this futuristic
    >> calculator is this: sto 4 x rcl 1 & rcl 3 = sto 5 rcl 4 x
    >> rcl 2 = sto 6. In RPN mode, which I only just heard of, I can't put
    >> in that little equals sign and I don't understand how ENTER could
    >> possibly replace it in this program. And the book where I got this
    >> program mentioned that he preferred ALG mode in this work that I'm
    >> trying to do. If you reply, please keep the language simple and guide
    >> 'er on home to a rough landing. Thanks, Kip

    >You'd better explain what exactly your "program" is supposed to rather
    >than giving instructions about language used when answering your
    >question. Also note that here is a place where people talk RPN
    >language

    Only?...

    A.L.

  4. Re: simple programming with HP35s

    kiphopkins@comcast.net schrieb:

    > A thirty year old program

    For which calculator?

    > that I'm trying to put into this futuristic
    > calculator is this: sto 4 x rcl 1 &

    What does this ampersand "&" stand for?
    A division? Or what?

    > rcl 3 = sto 5 rcl 4 x
    > rcl 2 = sto 6. In RPN mode, which I only just heard of, I can't put
    > in that little equals sign and I don't understand how ENTER could
    > possibly replace it in this program. And the book where I got this
    > program mentioned that he preferred ALG mode in this work that I'm
    > trying to do. If you reply, please keep the language simple and guide
    > 'er on home to a rough landing. Thanks, Kip

    Replacing registers 1...6 by A...F, a "literal translation" would be:

    LBL A (optional)
    STO D
    RCL A
    *
    RCL C
    & (whatever that means)
    STO E
    RCL D
    RCL B
    *
    STO F
    RTN

    I left out recall-arithmetics here to keep it *really* simple. <8)

    Be sure to store the required values in Register A, B and C beforehand.
    This is done by entering the value and pressing (blueshift) STO A (resp.
    B or C).

    Most probably you do not need the D and E-register.
    Optimized version, assuming "&" means "divide":

    LBL A (optional)
    ENTER
    RCL x A
    RCL / C ("/" is the divide key)
    X<>Y
    RCL x B
    RTN

    After the program has finished both results can be seen in the display.
    There's no need to recall a value from register 5 (E) or 6 (F), as the
    instructions for the original program might have suggested.
    That's one of the many advantages of RPN. <8)

    OTOH both solutions may be completely wrong. What was you old program
    intended to do? There might be a *much* better solution, just tell us
    what you want to do!

    Dieter

+ Reply to Thread