Re: Cognos 501 products expired - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: Cognos 501 products expired - Hewlett Packard ; I'm thinking that a 20 year one time fee license was a pretty good buy all things considered. Seen way too many HP3000 software companies go by by because everyone wanted to buy one copy, never pay support, then expect ...

  1. Re: Cognos 501 products expired

    I'm thinking that a 20 year one time fee license was a pretty good buy all
    things considered.

    Seen way too many HP3000 software companies go by by because everyone
    wanted to buy one copy, never pay support, then expect the company to still
    be around when they needed technical support or patches.

    While Cognos has NEVER been cheap on support in my experience, other
    software utilities were reasonable. Looking back, maybe theres a reason
    Cognos is still around and many of the reasonable support companies are gone.

    And who ever that was advertising to extend licenses might find himself in
    court with IBM if I read the Cognos article correctly.

  2. Re: Cognos 501 products expired

    I agree with Jim on alot of this. Paying for support is a cost of doing
    business. What good is a supplier to their market if they go out of business?

    John Lee