Re: Cognos 501 products expired - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: Cognos 501 products expired - Hewlett Packard ; I guess I do not understand the following ... You don't want to be shot for passing the secret, but are willing to make a buck... Hopefully I am not going to get hauled away for violating some part of ...

  1. Re: Cognos 501 products expired

    I guess I do not understand the following ... You don't want to be shot for passing the secret, but are willing to make a buck...

    <<<< Snip
    Hopefully I am not going to get hauled away for violating some part of the
    DMCA, Patriot Act, or some secret Presidential policy, but since I won't be
    doing the deed and as far as I know the 1st Amendment has not been repealed,
    the following is how the expiration worked which I believe includes 5.01.

    <<<<<< Snip
    If it doesn't work, I can find out where it is given an account on a system
    with Cognos 5.01 installed, PM cap, and VEDECOMP. For a fee of course, but
    guaranteed results.>>>>>>

    From: "Peter M. Eggers"
    Date: 2008/02/13 Wed PM 01:15:55 CST
    To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] Cognos 501 products expired

    To all of you expired Cognos owners:

    Hopefully I am not going to get hauled away for violating some part of the
    DMCA, Patriot Act, or some secret Presidential policy, but since I won't be
    doing the deed and as far as I know the 1st Amendment has not been repealed,
    the following is how the expiration worked which I believe includes 5.01.
    (I have not looked at this in a number of years, and I did correct our
    business name on the license when I did, but the some of the details are a
    bit fuzzy.)

    One of the common files that have a bit of uninteresting data in it also has
    user defined file labels. I believe one to be exact. All license
    information is in one file label, including company name and expiration
    date. I either used DEBUG in privileged mode, or probably just downloaded
    it with Reflection, edited on my workstation and copied over the original
    (after backing it up, of course!).

    If it doesn't work, I can find out where it is given an account on a system
    with Cognos 5.01 installed, PM cap, and VEDECOMP. For a fee of course, but
    guaranteed results.

    If you don't hear from me again, you will know that Cheney's goons have
    spirited me away to one of the CIA's secret detention facilities as a
    terrorist, a terrorist supporter, or as part of some Presidential secret
    policy he told the Decider to sign. To bad I'm not a masochist, it could be
    fun.

    Pete

    On Feb 4, 2008 8:18 PM, Tom Combs wrote:

    > Hi, we are (were) still running some old Quick/QUIZ 501 applications.
    > On January 1 2008 they started issuing warnings that they were about
    > to expire; on February 1, they did expire. These were supposed to be
    > perpetual licenses. Is there anyone else out there still running Cognos
    > 501 applications, or who has gotten an incorrect "license is expired"
    > message on any version of Cognos?
    >
    > Thanks, Tom Combs

    joseph dolliver
    e3k solutions , inc
    41630 marie court
    leonardtown, md 20650

  2. Re: Cognos 501 products expired

    Joe -

    I have not signed any NDAs, used any trade secrets that were entrusted to
    me, and am "merely" passing on knowledge that I have gained. I believe that
    right is protected under the First Amendment to the Constitution. I
    requested guidance from Cognos, which they have chose not to respond to.
    People have pleaded with me for this information, both publicly and
    privately based on Cognos being non-responsive and their perpetual license.

    It is hard to know what classifies as terrorist, or terrorist supporting
    activities as the administration considers that secret, as also those they
    choose to secretly keep in secret locations throughout the world where they
    are not limited or governed by US law, or apparently any law for that
    matter. The DMCA is worrisome too, but at least it is only financial ruin
    that they can hold over my head. I do not believe base on the
    *published*law, I have done anything wrong.

    I have given the knowledge that I have. If that knowledge is not adequate,
    and someone is desperate, wants my time to find a solution to their
    perpetual contract expiring, I will help time permitting. My time is worth
    something though, and I do not consider the for-profit businesses
    represented on this list charitable organizations that I am willing to
    donate my time to for free.

    You may not agree with my politics, and yes, I should keep them out of this,
    but ... I will leave it at that before I go off on a real tirade.

    I am not proposing that I would make any modifications to anyone's licensing
    info, nor to do anything else wrong, nor am I advocating anyone else to do
    so. Those that have a valid perpetual license should not have it
    prematurely terminated, and they should be allowed to fix it, if the vendor
    won't. Until someone can point out a legal flaw in that language, that is
    my position.

    Pete

    On Feb 13, 2008 7:31 PM, wrote:

    > I guess I do not understand the following ... You don't want to be shot
    > for passing the secret, but are willing to make a buck...
    >
    > <<<< Snip
    > Hopefully I am not going to get hauled away for violating some part of the
    > DMCA, Patriot Act, or some secret Presidential policy, but since I won't
    > be
    > doing the deed and as far as I know the 1st Amendment has not been
    > repealed,
    > the following is how the expiration worked which I believe includes 5.01.
    >

    > <<<<<< Snip
    > If it doesn't work, I can find out where it is given an account on a
    > system
    > with Cognos 5.01 installed, PM cap, and VEDECOMP. For a fee of course,
    > but
    > guaranteed results.>>>>>>

  3. Re: Cognos 501 products expired

    Hello Friends,

    Cognos, freshly purchased by IBM, has explained why some of your QUIZ
    report writers don't work as of this month. A 20-year license, not a
    perpetual one.

    See the story on our news blog:

    Good luck out there. Let us know if you've been given a bill from
    Cognos to turn on QUIZ after two decades of use.
    --

    Ron Seybold, Editor In Chief
    The 3000 NewsWire -- 512.331.0075 -- rseybold@sbcglobal.net

  4. Re: Cognos 501 products expired

    In light of this new information, I rescind previous offers to "fix"
    perpetual licenses that were not, and indeed 20 year licenses. I was a bit
    too willing to accept what I was being told, and should have verified the
    validity, though I did email Cognos for verification and opinion. Live and
    learn.

    Pete