Equation Library - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Equation Library - Hewlett Packard ; I am real used to the equation library function in my HP48G+ Does the HP50 also have the equation library? Thanks for time and efforts. Don...

  1. Equation Library

    I am real used to the equation library function
    in my HP48G+ Does the HP50 also have the
    equation library? Thanks for time and efforts.

    Don

  2. Re: Equation Library

    Hi Don.

    > Does the HP50 also have the
    > equation library?

    Yes, it has.
    Please have a look at:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...5&mode=4&idx=0
    where they explain how to upgrade the 50G's ROM *and* to install the
    new equation libraries, or better see:

    http://www.hydrix.com/Download/Hp/49...ionLibrary.zip

    Hope this helps.
    Best regards.
    Giancarlo

  3. Re: Equation Library

    On Feb 11, 1:27 am, Don wrote:
    > Does the HP50 also have the
    > equation library?

    Yes, you can get one from HP as part of the latest firmware update,
    however, I'd recommend EQLplus from Wolfgang Rautenberg's site:
    http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/raut/WR49/EQLplus.htm
    download here: http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/raut/WR49/#Science

    It includes the equation library that you know and love, but also
    allows you to create your own equation library. It's well done and
    I've never had a problem with it.

    -Jonathan

  4. Re: Equation Library

    > Yes, you can get one from HP as part of the latest firmware update,
    > however, I'd recommend EQLplus from Wolfgang Rautenberg's site:http://page..mi.fu-berlin.de/raut/WR49/EQLplus.htm
    > download here:http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/raut/WR49/#Science
    >
    > It includes the equation library that you know and love, but also
    > allows you to create your own equation library. *It's well done and
    > I've never had a problem with it.
    >
    > -Jonathan

    Does EQL+ utilize the full 131x80 display on the 49g+/50g? From the
    screenshots, it looks like it constantly displays the header and only
    uses the bottom 131x64 (compatibility with the 49G?).

    S.C.

  5. Re: Equation Library

    On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 07:29:04 -0800 (PST), bokubob
    wrote:

    >On Feb 11, 1:27 am, Don wrote:
    >> Does the HP50 also have the
    >> equation library?

    >Yes, you can get one from HP as part of the latest firmware update,
    >however, I'd recommend EQLplus from Wolfgang Rautenberg's site:
    >http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/raut/WR49/EQLplus.htm
    >download here: http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/raut/WR49/#Science
    >
    >It includes the equation library that you know and love, but also
    >allows you to create your own equation library. It's well done and
    >I've never had a problem with it.
    >
    >-Jonathan

    Thank you very much for the responses.

    DOn

  6. Re: Equation Library

    Or consider my TreeBrowser.
    As an example data set the equation library that you know and love is
    included but for presentation a different approach is used: a tree
    structure.

    Take a look at http://www.software49g.gmxhome.de.

    HTH
    Andreas

  7. Re: Equation Library

    On 12 Feb., 09:36, "Andreas Möller"
    wrote:
    > Or consider my TreeBrowser.
    > HTH
    > Andreas

    No sales promotion please. This software isn't free anymore, right?

  8. Re: Equation Library

    wrote:
    > Or consider my TreeBrowser.
    > HTH
    > Andreas

    >No sales promotion please. This software isn't free anymore, right?

    Nonetheless this is the right place for it.

    The TreeBrowser is an extraordinary piece of work,
    and everyone in the need for an efficient data browser
    on the footlong Kinpos should at least take a look at it.

    The TreeBrowser is much more than just a tree viewer for the EQ Lib!
    The EQ Lib data is a practical TreeBrowser example
    which shows how you can organize your data,
    but you could also use it for a different data base,
    maybe your address data or your CD collection.

  9. Re: Equation Library

    On Feb 12, 5:58 am, frank.b...@arcor.de wrote:
    > No sales promotion please. This software isn't free anymore, right?

    We recommend lots of non-free things on this group. Eric's serial
    cable, Tim's case and HP calculators themselves. I don't see anything
    wrong with Andreas' topical suggestion.

    I'm not sure if Don is looking for just the standard equation library,
    in which case the HP option is probably the easiest. For making your
    own equation library, EQL+ and TreeBrowser are both good options, with
    some differences. As I've used both, I'll summarize my experiences
    here.

    (I'm probably forgetting things, and won't be fair to either programs,
    but these are my experiences.)

    EQL+ allows you to create your own equation library in the form of
    nested lists. It looks something like (Check the documentation for
    the real format):
    { category
    { item 1}
    { item 2}
    }

    When you run EQL+, this list shows up in exactly the same format as
    the standard library does, and you can aparently even include
    graphics, though I haven't tried that. Creating the equation list can
    be done a number of ways. For small lists, editing directly on the
    calculator works fine, but for longer lists, I found editing on a
    desktop computer to be easier. With a list of the triglyphs and a
    text editor, it's pretty easy. (for really long lists, I needed to
    use John's suggestion for forcing the calculator to leave the list as
    a string when transfering, and then convert later [with debugging].
    It's from Nov 17, 2000 and you can read it here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....8fa5e136acaf80
    it's great, by the way. Thanks John Meyers!)

    TreeBrowser will apparently also allow you to edit your library on a
    computer, but it also has the option of using a tree builder/editor on
    the calculator. The tree builder integrates into the browser, and
    lets you easily switch between building and browsing. I would say it
    takes a little more time than you'd expect to really figure out what
    you're supposed to be doing in the builder (when to make an entry or
    equation) but once you do, it is a bit more capable than the original
    HP equation library or EQL+. It can save your tree as a program or a
    library, and it supports the use of units throughout.

    To summarize (in terms of user libraries):
    EQL+: Free. Looks and works just like the built in library.
    Conceptually very simple editing and library management. Offers
    nothing more than the built in library (no units).
    TreeBrowser: Works in a new and different way. Slightly steeper
    learning curve to let the program help you do what you want done (as
    opposed to doing it all yourself in EQL+) Offers units and a very
    nice editor.

    Unfortunately, a library with incorrect syntax will confuse both
    programs very badly. But they're both very fast, so it's a trade-off.

    Maybe that helps,
    -Jonathan

  10. Re: Equation Library

    Hello Jonathan,

    thanks for you objective comparison.

    > but once you do, it is a bit more capable than the original
    > HP equation library or EQL+.

    It is a completely different approach than the HP equation library or
    EQL+ ;-)
    The screen can be shifted if an entry is to long and you will never
    get lost in your data set because of the tree structure. Navigating
    inside the data set is also a lot easier IMHO.

    > TreeBrowser: Works in a new and different way. Slightly steeper
    > learning curve to let the program help you do what you want done

    (as
    > opposed to doing it all yourself in EQL+) Offers units and a very
    > nice editor.

    I would be very interested in your experiences, especially in the
    "steeper learning curve" because the TBB and its documents were
    designed to make things *easy* for that people who do not want to get
    familiar with the data structure and just want to get there collection
    of formulas as soon as possible.
    What you can't do with the builder at the moment is to change a
    branch, this has to be done on a personal computer. But an easy way to
    understand the data structure is the example sources in the package or
    to split the example data set of the EQ lib.

    So after you have made up you mind about the branches (how many
    levels, where to hook the variable list/picture list) creating a data
    set with the builder is done "on the fly".

    Every person I showed the builder was able to create a data set
    instantly so maybe the documentation needs improvement but that might
    be a lack of my English ;-)

    > Unfortunately, a library with incorrect syntax will confuse both
    > programs very badly.

    Well, all system-rpl interfaces (built-in or not) will lead to
    unexpected behavior of even TTRM if fed incorrectly :-). There is a
    simple check at the start but checking the whole data set would lead
    to an unacceptable speed penalty.

    Greetings
    Andreas

    P.S.: I also hope to have the data sets in Spanish and French very
    soon...

  11. Re: Equation Library

    On 11 Feb., 08:27, Don wrote:
    > I am real used to the equation library function
    > in my HP48G+ * Does the HP50 also have the
    > equation library? *Thanks for time and efforts.
    >
    > Don

    Yes of course, my HP 50g have equation library build in. I don't know
    if more or less equations.

    guilippo

+ Reply to Thread