Notebook HD - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Notebook HD - Hewlett Packard ; HP claims that only "their" hard drives should be used in my notebook. (dv9700t). Does HP actually make hard drives?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

  1. Notebook HD

    HP claims that only "their" hard drives should be used in my notebook.
    (dv9700t).

    Does HP actually make hard drives?

  2. Re: Notebook HD

    AFAIK, HP has never made its own disk drives. Way back in the early days of
    SCSI, HP imposed on Seagate to make drives with HP firmware, HP stickers and HP
    part numbers. Those days are long past. Now, HP buys notebook drives from,
    variously, Hitachi, Fujitsu, Toshiba, Seagate, or Western Digital (whichever is
    cheapest), puts its own HP sticker on them, and puts them in its notebooks.

    Depending on the meaning of "their", you have either been lied to or misled. In
    this day, we also debate the meaning of the word "is", so maybe HP did not lie.
    Regardless, what you have been told is a large crock of manure... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 20:09:15 -0600, swalker wrote:

    >HP claims that only "their" hard drives should be used in my notebook.
    >(dv9700t).
    >
    >Does HP actually make hard drives?

  3. Re: Notebook HD

    "swalker" wrote in message
    > HP claims that only "their" hard drives should be used in my notebook.
    > (dv9700t).
    >
    > Does HP actually make hard drives?

    I doubt it. I just replaced an 80 GB drive in a dv4550. The original drive
    was, as I recall, a Maxtor but the label also had HP's name and part number
    on it. I just called the local computer store and they had one close in size
    and it worked fine. The replacement was most definitely NOT and HP drive.

    I hope this helps.

    --
    Herb
    herb@herbstein.com

  4. Re: Notebook HD

    [Disclaimer: Not that it *matters*, but ...]

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > AFAIK, HP has never made its own disk drives.

    For *PCs* that's probably true. But in a distant past, HP *did* make
    its own disc (note "disc", not that silly "disk" business! :-)) drives.
    But those were the days that a disc of a few hundred *Mega*byte was a
    very big - both in capacilty and physically - and expensive disc. IIRC
    it started with a 5MB HP7900A and ended with a 350MB (?) HP7935A.

  5. Re: Notebook HD

    Your exposure to HP disks pre-dates mine, which dates only from the PC and
    workstation era. The only HP-branded disk drives I ever saw were clearly OEM
    products back in the mid-90s. To this day, a HP sticker on a disk drive still
    indicates that it is an OEM. It seems like every computer manufacturer tried to
    manufacture their own disk drives once upon a time, but most could not deal with
    the inherent reliability issues especially as recording densities have
    increased.

    The U.S. of A. trade press and the general press (newspapers and magazines)
    generally refers to them as disK drives, so naturally I comply with the brand of
    English here in the colonies... Ben Myers

    On 11 Feb 2008 21:38:16 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

    >[Disclaimer: Not that it *matters*, but ...]
    >
    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >> AFAIK, HP has never made its own disk drives.

    > For *PCs* that's probably true. But in a distant past, HP *did* make
    >its own disc (note "disc", not that silly "disk" business! :-)) drives.
    >But those were the days that a disc of a few hundred *Mega*byte was a
    >very big - both in capacilty and physically - and expensive disc. IIRC
    >it started with a 5MB HP7900A and ended with a 350MB (?) HP7935A.

  6. Re: Notebook HD

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 20:09:15 -0600, swalker wrote:

    >HP claims that only "their" hard drives should be used in my notebook.
    >(dv9700t).
    >
    >Does HP actually make hard drives?

    Thanks for all the comments.

    Now, does anybody think that one brand is better than another?

    If so, which would you buy.

    The notebook has dual 120 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA drives.

    If it matters, I plan to image (clone) the drive(s) using an external
    holder and USB cable.

    Thanks for all the help.

    south walker

  7. Re: Notebook HD

    My short list in approximate order of preference is:
    Fujitsu
    Seagate
    Western Digital
    Hitachi

    I would consider any of them to be acceptable, and any other brand not
    acceptable. I would not even come close to a Maxtor drive.

    The first two are more expensive and generally less available in mass retail
    outlets like Frys, Circuit City and Best Buy... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 18:21:02 -0600, swalker wrote:

    >On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 20:09:15 -0600, swalker wrote:
    >
    >>HP claims that only "their" hard drives should be used in my notebook.
    >>(dv9700t).
    >>
    >>Does HP actually make hard drives?

    >Thanks for all the comments.
    >
    >Now, does anybody think that one brand is better than another?
    >
    >If so, which would you buy.
    >
    >The notebook has dual 120 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA drives.
    >
    >If it matters, I plan to image (clone) the drive(s) using an external
    >holder and USB cable.
    >
    >Thanks for all the help.
    >
    >south walker

  8. Re: Notebook HD

    Ben Myers wrote:
    [...]
    > The U.S. of A. trade press and the general press (newspapers and
    > magazines) generally refers to them as disK drives, so naturally I
    > comply with the brand of English here in the colonies... Ben Myers

    Yes, "disc" versus "disk" is partially a language thing, but also in
    the US they *used* to be called "disc", i.e. HP - an American company -
    said (only) "disc".

    See for example:

    and the two documents on

    > On 11 Feb 2008 21:38:16 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:
    >
    > >[Disclaimer: Not that it *matters*, but ...]
    > >
    > >Ben Myers wrote:
    > >> AFAIK, HP has never made its own disk drives.

    > > For *PCs* that's probably true. But in a distant past, HP *did* make
    > >its own disc (note "disc", not that silly "disk" business! :-)) drives.
    > >But those were the days that a disc of a few hundred *Mega*byte was a
    > >very big - both in capacilty and physically - and expensive disc. IIRC
    > >it started with a 5MB HP7900A and ended with a 350MB (?) HP7935A.

  9. Re: Notebook HD

    Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > For *PCs* that's probably true. But in a distant past, HP *did*
    > make its own disc (note "disc", not that silly "disk" business! :-))
    > drives. But those were the days that a disc of a few hundred
    > *Mega*byte was a very big - both in capacilty and physically - and
    > expensive disc. IIRC it started with a 5MB HP7900A and ended with a
    > 350MB (?) HP7935A.

    My recollection is that the 7935 was 400MB removable. Used to copy
    them with a disc copy station based on an HP85.

    I thought that HP actually went a little farther in disc's - ISTR that
    some of the 1GB SE or FWD mechs (Cmumble product numbers) may have
    been HP rather than rebrands, and then there was the aborted
    "Kittyhawk" 1.5" (?) discs which were just a little ahead of their
    time.

    rick jones

  10. Re: Notebook HD

    * Frank Slootweg:

    > For *PCs* that's probably true. But in a distant past, HP *did* make
    > its own disc (note "disc", not that silly "disk" business! :-)) drives.
    > But those were the days that a disc of a few hundred *Mega*byte was a
    > very big - both in capacilty and physically - and expensive disc. IIRC
    > it started with a 5MB HP7900A and ended with a 350MB (?) HP7935A.

    HP also once made generic 3.5" disk drives. I still have the old HP-made
    (no, it's not a HP-labeled OEM disk) 1GB disk somewhere that came with
    an HP9000 E10 server long ago.

    Benjamin

  11. Re: Notebook HD

    * swalker:

    > HP claims that only "their" hard drives should be used in my notebook.
    > (dv9700t).

    Right, since these are the only disks for which HP can gurantee that
    they work in your notebook. That doesn't mean other disks won't work, it
    just means that HP doesn't know for sure which generic drives work (in
    theory all of them with a suitable size and interface should work, but
    sometimes two devices are just incompatible with each other) and if you
    use generic disks and experience problems you're on your own.

    > Does HP actually make hard drives?

    Not any more, and they never made notebook drives. However, HP buys OEM
    disks from different vendors and puts their sticker (and sometimes also
    their own firmware) on them.

    Benjamin

  12. Re: Notebook HD

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > > For *PCs* that's probably true. But in a distant past, HP *did*
    > > make its own disc (note "disc", not that silly "disk" business! :-))
    > > drives. But those were the days that a disc of a few hundred
    > > *Mega*byte was a very big - both in capacilty and physically - and
    > > expensive disc. IIRC it started with a 5MB HP7900A and ended with a
    > > 350MB (?) HP7935A.

    > My recollection is that the 7935 was 400MB removable. Used to copy
    > them with a disc copy station based on an HP85.
    >
    > I thought that HP actually went a little farther in disc's - ISTR that
    > some of the 1GB SE or FWD mechs (Cmumble product numbers) may have
    > been HP rather than rebrands, and then there was the aborted
    > "Kittyhawk" 1.5" (?) discs which were just a little ahead of their
    > time.

    Yes, there were some later models. I realized that when I composed my
    second response about the 7935. The 7935 indeed had a removable disc
    pack and the later ones which I remember hadn't. The later ones were
    rackmount models, i.e. more narrow and lower height but deeper than the
    7935. But like you, my brain can't come up with a product number. hate
    it when that happens.

  13. Re: Notebook HD

    Whatever... Ben

    On 12 Feb 2008 18:04:57 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >[...]
    >> The U.S. of A. trade press and the general press (newspapers and
    >> magazines) generally refers to them as disK drives, so naturally I
    >> comply with the brand of English here in the colonies... Ben Myers

    > Yes, "disc" versus "disk" is partially a language thing, but also in
    >the US they *used* to be called "disc", i.e. HP - an American company -
    >said (only) "disc".
    >
    > See for example:
    >

    >and the two documents on
    >
    >> On 11 Feb 2008 21:38:16 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:
    >>
    >> >[Disclaimer: Not that it *matters*, but ...]

    >> > For *PCs* that's probably true. But in a distant past, HP *did* make
    >> >its own disc (note "disc", not that silly "disk" business! :-)) drives.
    >> >But those were the days that a disc of a few hundred *Mega*byte was a
    >> >very big - both in capacilty and physically - and expensive disc. IIRC
    >> >it started with a 5MB HP7900A and ended with a 350MB (?) HP7935A.

  14. Re: Notebook HD

    Of course, one is likely to pay a LARGE premium over street price buying a
    notebook hard drive from HP, with a genuine HP sticker on it. If one does not
    have the time, the background or the motivation to do ones homework, then buying
    "genuine" products from HP or any other name brand company.

    HP has no motivation whatsoever to find out which generic drives work in their
    notebooks. Their hardware business is selling whole computers, printers, and
    network equipment. Selling parts is a tiny sideline, hence the large markup on
    any parts bought direct from HP. I am not being critical in saying this. It
    is simply reality.

    But back to the original posting, it is at least a minor misrepresentation on
    the part of HP to that that only their drives should be used in their notebook
    computers. Or is it just misleading? Maybe both? ... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:19:14 +0100, Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    >* swalker:
    >
    >> HP claims that only "their" hard drives should be used in my notebook.
    >> (dv9700t).

    >Right, since these are the only disks for which HP can gurantee that
    >they work in your notebook. That doesn't mean other disks won't work, it
    >just means that HP doesn't know for sure which generic drives work (in
    >theory all of them with a suitable size and interface should work, but
    >sometimes two devices are just incompatible with each other) and if you
    >use generic disks and experience problems you're on your own.
    >
    >> Does HP actually make hard drives?

    >Not any more, and they never made notebook drives. However, HP buys OEM
    >disks from different vendors and puts their sticker (and sometimes also
    >their own firmware) on them.
    >
    >Benjamin

  15. Re: Notebook HD

    Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > Yes, there were some later models. I realized that when I composed
    > my second response about the 7935. The 7935 indeed had a removable
    > disc pack and the later ones which I remember hadn't. The later ones
    > were rackmount models, i.e. more narrow and lower height but deeper
    > than the 7935. But like you, my brain can't come up with a product
    > number. hate it when that happens.

    There was the 7939 (IIRC) which was an 8" Winchester called the
    "Eagle" that came in either HP-IB or SE SCSI flavors. Its packing
    materials included the legendary "HP Attitude Adjustor" PN
    19511-80014. A 19" long piece of 2x2

    rick jones

  16. Re: Notebook HD

    > > Does HP actually make hard drives?

    > Not any more, and they never made notebook drives.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Kitty_Hawk_microdrive

    rick jones

  17. Re: Notebook HD

    Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > [Disclaimer: Not that it *matters*, but ...]
    >
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >> AFAIK, HP has never made its own disk drives.

    > For *PCs* that's probably true. But in a distant past, HP *did* make
    > its own disc (note "disc", not that silly "disk" business! :-)) drives.
    > But those were the days that a disc of a few hundred *Mega*byte was a
    > very big - both in capacilty and physically - and expensive disc. IIRC
    > it started with a 5MB HP7900A and ended with a 350MB (?) HP7935A.

    404MB 7933A fixed/7935A removable. ("It's so big!", and there's a
    couple stories there.)

    I'm thinking the 7937H "Eagle" was 571MB. And there's a page that
    corroborates this recollection:

    I'm also thinking that ca. 1995 I bought a 3.5" HP SureStore 1GB SE
    SCSI drive for use on a PC. Can't remember whether its manual spelled
    it with a c or a k.

    -Frank McConnell

  18. Re: Notebook HD

    Good memory. I forgot about that one, which did not last very long at all...
    Ben Myers

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 01:38:28 +0000 (UTC), Rick Jones wrote:

    >> > Does HP actually make hard drives?

    >> Not any more, and they never made notebook drives.

    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Kitty_Hawk_microdrive
    >
    >rick jones

  19. Re: Notebook HD

    And, FWIW, Wikipedia talks about the Kitty Hawk as a disKKKKKKK drive... Ben
    Myers

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 01:38:28 +0000 (UTC), Rick Jones wrote:

    >> > Does HP actually make hard drives?

    >> Not any more, and they never made notebook drives.

    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Kitty_Hawk_microdrive
    >
    >rick jones

  20. Re: Notebook HD

    * Rick Jones:

    >> Not any more, and they never made notebook drives.

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Kitty_Hawk_microdrive

    Yes, you're right of course. I should have written "they never made a
    2.5" notebook drive".

    Benjamin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast