HP Recovery DVDs - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Recovery DVDs - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, I have multiple questions, I recently purchased an a6152n, and created my recovery DVDs. I wasted 2 dvds because the process kept failing, so I called HP, and they remoted in and successfully burned the DVDs. Question1: I want ...

  1. HP Recovery DVDs

    Hi,
    I have multiple questions, I recently purchased an a6152n, and created
    my recovery DVDs.
    I wasted 2 dvds because the process kept failing, so I called HP, and
    they remoted in and successfully burned the DVDs.

    Question1:
    I want to test these DVDs to make certain that they are in fact good,
    I thought about using MS virtual PC 2007 (I know it's not compatible
    with Vista, but it seems to be working) But when I run the VM it comes
    up with an error: "This PC is not supported by the System Recovery
    Discs. You will not be able to continue to recover this system with
    these discs." How does the discs know that it's not the same PC? The
    PC must have a file / serial# embedded somewhere? I want to trick the
    VM into thinking that it's the orignal PC and run the recovery discs.

    Question2:
    Once I am confident that I have a viable safety net, I want to
    experiment with the partitions, I want to blow away the recovery
    partition and split the HDD into three parts, Vista, XP, and
    documents. My old PC was configured similarly with 2 xp partitions and
    1 document part. How can I install and activate a clean version of
    vista using my HP license?

    I can supply additional information as needed.

    Thanx,
    YF

  2. Re: HP Recovery DVDs

    "tokeer.port5.com" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have multiple questions, I recently purchased an a6152n, and created
    > my recovery DVDs.
    > I wasted 2 dvds because the process kept failing, so I called HP, and
    > they remoted in and successfully burned the DVDs.
    >
    > Question1:
    > I want to test these DVDs to make certain that they are in fact good,
    > I thought about using MS virtual PC 2007 (I know it's not compatible
    > with Vista, but it seems to be working) But when I run the VM it comes
    > up with an error: "This PC is not supported by the System Recovery
    > Discs. You will not be able to continue to recover this system with
    > these discs." How does the discs know that it's not the same PC? The
    > PC must have a file / serial# embedded somewhere? I want to trick the
    > VM into thinking that it's the orignal PC and run the recovery discs.
    >
    > Question2:
    > Once I am confident that I have a viable safety net, I want to
    > experiment with the partitions, I want to blow away the recovery
    > partition and split the HDD into three parts, Vista, XP, and
    > documents. My old PC was configured similarly with 2 xp partitions and
    > 1 document part. How can I install and activate a clean version of
    > vista using my HP license?
    >
    > I can supply additional information as needed.
    >
    > Thanx,
    > YF

    When you first wipe C:\ to start your process, Vista will be erased as
    you'll partition C's space into 2-3 partitions. Then install XP, then go
    to install Vista and it will undo that - recreate one partition and
    install Vista over XP , or if you wiped the restore partition it will
    report - " no restore partition installed - cannot continue" . The HP
    license is only an OEM license - to install on that one PC as described,
    not interactively. You do not "enter the s/n " as with store-bought XP/
    Vista install: you insert the cd - it puts your drive back to factory -
    all bloatware, etc.

    See
    http://www.tutorials-win.com/SupportXP/Cant-scratch/
    and scroll about halfway down to
    "VanguardLH
    Mon Mar 03 22:20:10 PST 2008 "
    comments as he goes thru this there.

    To insure that you have " Good DVD's" you can order them online :
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...os=228&lang=en

    I always buy them : just in case - while still available.
    Watch the teminology - one set RECOVERS that hidden partition while
    another set RESTOREs the OS from scratch ( like when the hdd dies)

+ Reply to Thread