HP dx2250 disable onboard video and install nVIDIA GeForce 6200 256MBDDR PCI Dual VGA - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP dx2250 disable onboard video and install nVIDIA GeForce 6200 256MBDDR PCI Dual VGA - Hewlett Packard ; I have an HP Compaq dx2250 desktop and need to install an nVIDIA GeForce 6200 256MB DDR PCI Dual VGA card. The desktop is runing windows XP. I shut down and install the new video card. Windows boots and I ...

  1. HP dx2250 disable onboard video and install nVIDIA GeForce 6200 256MBDDR PCI Dual VGA

    I have an HP Compaq dx2250 desktop and need to install an nVIDIA
    GeForce 6200 256MB DDR PCI Dual VGA card. The desktop is runing
    windows XP.

    I shut down and install the new video card. Windows boots and I put
    in the driver disk and install the nVIDIA card drivers. I uninstall
    the ATI onboard video card in the add/remove programs and diable it in
    device manager.

    I reboot and go into the BIOS and change the seetings to boot first
    from PCI (it was set to PCIEx and the other option is OnBoard VGA).

    I save and the computer reboots, the signal from the onboard VGA is
    all white - I move the VGA connection to the new card and neither port
    will work.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: HP dx2250 disable onboard video and install nVIDIA GeForce 6200 256MB DDR PCI Dual VGA

    From your description, your dx2250 supports one of two types of graphics cards:
    PCI-Express (aka PCI-E or PCI-Ex) and the built-in VGA. There are only these
    two choices in the BIOS, right? And no specific choice for PCI (without the
    Ex)?

    If so, then I have serious doubts that a PCI card can ever be made to work, and
    I am afraid you have gotten a card that is not right for your system.
    PCI-Express and PCI are very different animals. PCI-Express is the successor to
    AGP, which was annointed the graphics successor to PCI. PCI-Express uses
    different connectors than PCI and generally runs much faster... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 06:00:03 -0800 (PST), Kim Webb wrote:

    >I have an HP Compaq dx2250 desktop and need to install an nVIDIA
    >GeForce 6200 256MB DDR PCI Dual VGA card. The desktop is runing
    >windows XP.
    >
    >I shut down and install the new video card. Windows boots and I put
    >in the driver disk and install the nVIDIA card drivers. I uninstall
    >the ATI onboard video card in the add/remove programs and diable it in
    >device manager.
    >
    >I reboot and go into the BIOS and change the seetings to boot first
    >from PCI (it was set to PCIEx and the other option is OnBoard VGA).
    >
    >I save and the computer reboots, the signal from the onboard VGA is
    >all white - I move the VGA connection to the new card and neither port
    >will work.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks.

  3. Re: HP dx2250 disable onboard video and install nVIDIA GeForce 6200256MB DDR PCI Dual VGA

    My choices in the bios are:

    PCI
    PCIEx
    Onboard VGA

    When I clear the CMOS the BIOS defaults to PCIEx but boots from the
    Onboard VGA.

    Thanks.

    On Jan 16, 10:16*am, Ben Myers
    wrote:
    > From your description, your dx2250 supports one of two types of graphics cards:
    > PCI-Express (aka PCI-E or PCI-Ex) and the built-in VGA. *There are only these
    > two choices in the BIOS, right? * And no specific choice for PCI (without the
    > Ex)?
    >
    > If so, then I have serious doubts that a PCI card can ever be made to work, and
    > I am afraid you have gotten a card that is not right for your system.
    > PCI-Express and PCI are very different animals. *PCI-Express is the successor to
    > AGP, which was annointed the graphics successor to PCI. *PCI-Express uses
    > different connectors than PCI and generally runs much faster... Ben Myers
    >

    > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 06:00:03 -0800 (PST), Kim Webb wrote:
    > >I have an HP Compaq dx2250 desktop and need to install an nVIDIA
    > >GeForce 6200 256MB DDR PCI Dual VGA card. *The desktop is runing
    > >windows XP.

    > >I shut down and install the new video card. *Windows boots and I put
    > >in the driver disk and install the nVIDIA card drivers. *I uninstall
    > >the ATI onboard video card in the add/remove programs and diable it in
    > >device manager.

    > >I reboot and go into the BIOS and change the seetings to boot first
    > >from PCI (it was set to PCIEx and the other option is OnBoard VGA).

    > >I save and the computer reboots, the signal from the onboard VGA is
    > >all white - I move the VGA connection to the new card and neither port
    > >will work.

    > >Any ideas?

    > >Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

  4. Re: HP dx2250 disable onboard video and install nVIDIA GeForce 6200 256MB DDR PCI Dual VGA

    Aha! Given that the BIOS offers you three possible choices for the video card,
    select PCI and DO NOT (REPEAT: DO NOT!) clear the CMOS settings. Simply save
    them and see what happens. Clearing the CMOS forces the motherboard back to
    its default settings, as you indicated, and which you most assuredly do not want
    or need... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:39:56 -0800 (PST), Kim Webb wrote:

    >My choices in the bios are:
    >
    >PCI
    >PCIEx
    >Onboard VGA
    >
    >When I clear the CMOS the BIOS defaults to PCIEx but boots from the
    >Onboard VGA.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >On Jan 16, 10:16*am, Ben Myers
    >wrote:
    >> From your description, your dx2250 supports one of two types of graphics cards:
    >> PCI-Express (aka PCI-E or PCI-Ex) and the built-in VGA. *There are only these
    >> two choices in the BIOS, right? * And no specific choice for PCI (without the
    >> Ex)?
    >>
    >> If so, then I have serious doubts that a PCI card can ever be made to work, and
    >> I am afraid you have gotten a card that is not right for your system.
    >> PCI-Express and PCI are very different animals. *PCI-Express is the successor to
    >> AGP, which was annointed the graphics successor to PCI. *PCI-Express uses
    >> different connectors than PCI and generally runs much faster... Ben Myers
    >>

    >> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 06:00:03 -0800 (PST), Kim Webb wrote:
    >> >I have an HP Compaq dx2250 desktop and need to install an nVIDIA
    >> >GeForce 6200 256MB DDR PCI Dual VGA card. *The desktop is runing
    >> >windows XP.

    >> >I shut down and install the new video card. *Windows boots and I put
    >> >in the driver disk and install the nVIDIA card drivers. *I uninstall
    >> >the ATI onboard video card in the add/remove programs and diable it in
    >> >device manager.

    >> >I reboot and go into the BIOS and change the seetings to boot first
    >> >from PCI (it was set to PCIEx and the other option is OnBoard VGA).

    >> >I save and the computer reboots, the signal from the onboard VGA is
    >> >all white - I move the VGA connection to the new card and neither port
    >> >will work.

    >> >Any ideas?

    >> >Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

  5. Re: HP dx2250 disable onboard video and install nVIDIA GeForce 6200256MB DDR PCI Dual VGA

    I choose PCI but the nVIDIA card does not have any output from either
    VGA port, the onboard VGA is white.

    I'm clearing the CMOS *only* so I can get back to see the settings.
    I'm not doing it before I save and test the settings trying to boot to
    the PCI card.

    If I don't clear the CMOS I'll never able to get any video output at
    all.

    The only On Jan 16, 4:26*pm, Ben Myers
    wrote:
    > Aha! *Given that the BIOS offers you three possible choices for the video card,
    > select PCI and DO NOT (REPEAT: DO NOT!) clear the CMOS settings. * Simply save
    > them and see what happens. * Clearing the CMOS forces the motherboard back to
    > its default settings, as you indicated, and which you most assuredly do not want
    > or need... Ben Myers
    >

    > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:39:56 -0800 (PST), Kim Webb wrote:
    > >My choices in the bios are:

    > >PCI
    > >PCIEx
    > >Onboard VGA

    > >When I clear the CMOS the BIOS defaults to PCIEx but boots from the
    > >Onboard VGA.

    > >Thanks.

    > >On Jan 16, 10:16*am, Ben Myers
    > >wrote:
    > >> From your description, your dx2250 supports one of two types of graphics cards:
    > >> PCI-Express (aka PCI-E or PCI-Ex) and the built-in VGA. *There are only these
    > >> two choices in the BIOS, right? * And no specific choice for PCI (without the
    > >> Ex)?

    > >> If so, then I have serious doubts that a PCI card can ever be made to work, and
    > >> I am afraid you have gotten a card that is not right for your system.
    > >> PCI-Express and PCI are very different animals. *PCI-Express is the successor to
    > >> AGP, which was annointed the graphics successor to PCI. *PCI-Express uses
    > >> different connectors than PCI and generally runs much faster... Ben Myers

  6. Re: HP dx2250 disable onboard video and install nVIDIA GeForce 6200 256MB DDR PCI Dual VGA

    Possibly a defective nVidia card? I don't know what else to suggest without
    hands-on with the computer, which is a little difficult from here. :>) ...
    Ben Myers

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 13:40:41 -0800 (PST), Kim Webb wrote:

    >I choose PCI but the nVIDIA card does not have any output from either
    >VGA port, the onboard VGA is white.
    >
    >I'm clearing the CMOS *only* so I can get back to see the settings.
    >I'm not doing it before I save and test the settings trying to boot to
    >the PCI card.
    >
    >If I don't clear the CMOS I'll never able to get any video output at
    >all.

  7. Re: HP dx2250 disable onboard video and install nVIDIA GeForce 6200 256MB DDR PCI Dual VGA

    Kim Webb wrote:

    > I choose PCI but the nVIDIA card does not have any output from either
    > VGA port, the onboard VGA is white.
    >
    > I'm clearing the CMOS *only* so I can get back to see the settings.
    > I'm not doing it before I save and test the settings trying to boot to
    > the PCI card.
    >
    > If I don't clear the CMOS I'll never able to get any video output at
    > all.
    >

    > The only On Jan 16, 4:26*pm, Ben Myers
    > wrote:
    >> Aha! *Given that the BIOS offers you three possible choices for the video
    >> card, select PCI and DO NOT (REPEAT: DO NOT!) clear the CMOS settings. *
    >> Simply save them and see what happens. * Clearing the CMOS forces the
    >> motherboard back to its default settings, as you indicated, and which you
    >> most assuredly do not want or need... Ben Myers
    >>

    >> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:39:56 -0800 (PST), Kim Webb
    >> wrote:
    >> >My choices in the bios are:

    >> >PCI
    >> >PCIEx
    >> >Onboard VGA

    >> >When I clear the CMOS the BIOS defaults to PCIEx but boots from the
    >> >Onboard VGA.

    >> >Thanks.

    Are you powering up the system with the monitor on and connected to the PCI
    card?

  8. Re: HP dx2250 disable onboard video and install nVIDIA GeForce 6200 256MB DDR PCI Dual VGA

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:03:10 -0600, craigm wrote:

    >Are you powering up the system with the monitor on and connected to the PCI
    >card?

    Likewise, because the card is a dual VGA card, it is also paramount to know
    which of the two VGA connectors to use to connect up the VGA monitor.

    .... Ben Myers

  9. Re: HP dx2250 disable onboard video and install nVIDIA GeForce 6200256MB DDR PCI Dual VGA

    I tried the video card in another computer and it works fine.

    On Jan 16, 6:57*pm, Ben Myers
    wrote:
    > Possibly a defective nVidia card? * I don't know what else to suggest without
    > hands-on with the computer, which is a little difficult from here. *:>) * ...
    > Ben Myers
    >

    > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 13:40:41 -0800 (PST), Kim Webb wrote:
    > >I choose PCI but the nVIDIA card does not have any output from either
    > >VGA port, the onboard VGA is white.

    > >I'm clearing the CMOS *only* so I can get back to see the settings.
    > >I'm not doing it before I save and test the settings trying to boot to
    > >the PCI card.

    > >If I don't clear the CMOS I'll never able to get any video output at
    > >all.- Hide quoted text -

  10. Re: HP dx2250 disable onboard video and install nVIDIA GeForce 6200256MB DDR PCI Dual VGA

    Yes, I actually have two monitors so I have both ports plugged into
    monitors.

    On Jan 16, 9:03*pm, craigm wrote:
    > Kim Webb wrote:
    > > I choose PCI but the nVIDIA card does not have any output from either
    > > VGA port, the onboard VGA is white.

    > > I'm clearing the CMOS *only* so I can get back to see the settings.
    > > I'm not doing it before I save and test the settings trying to boot to
    > > the PCI card.

    > > If I don't clear the CMOS I'll never able to get any video output at
    > > all.

    > > The only On Jan 16, 4:26*pm, Ben Myers
    > > wrote:
    > >> Aha! *Given that the BIOS offers you three possible choices for the video
    > >> card, select PCI and DO NOT (REPEAT: DO NOT!) clear the CMOS settings. *
    > >> Simply save them and see what happens. * Clearing the CMOS forces the
    > >> motherboard back to its default settings, as you indicated, and which you
    > >> most assuredly do not want or need... Ben Myers

    > Are you powering up the system with the monitor on and connected to the PCI
    > card?- Hide quoted text -

  11. Re: HP dx2250 disable onboard video and install nVIDIA GeForce 6200256MB DDR PCI Dual VGA

    Currently both ports are hooked to monitors.

    On Jan 16, 11:18*pm, Ben Myers
    wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:03:10 -0600, craigm wrote:
    >

    > >Are you powering up the system with the monitor on and connected to the PCI
    > >card?

    > Likewise, because the card is a dual VGA card, it is also paramount to know
    > which of the two VGA connectors to use to connect up the VGA monitor.
    >
    > ... Ben Myers

  12. Re: HP dx2250 disable onboard video and install nVIDIA GeForce 6200 256MBDDR PCI Dual VGA

    Hi Kim - Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having the
    exact same problem with the DX2250 and a PCI dual head adapter. PLEASE
    let me know what you did to fix it.

    Thanks - Wayne

+ Reply to Thread