All-in-one recommendation - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on All-in-one recommendation - Hewlett Packard ; I've got Window$ Vi$ta and I want to buy a new printer. It must have scan, fax, copy, but also have nice result when a photo is scanned in. I'd also love wireless, but it doednt need to be, as ...

  1. All-in-one recommendation

    I've got Window$ Vi$ta and I want to buy a new printer.

    It must have scan, fax, copy, but also have nice result when a photo
    is scanned in.

    I'd also love wireless, but it doednt need to be, as long as I can
    connect to home network.

    (I have a Lexmark, and it sux with Vi$ta)

  2. Re: All-in-one recommendation

    "Mike123" wrote in message news:588b2355-1bc4-47e6-8fd7-8bd33779a3c8@h11g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
    > I've got Window$ Vi$ta and I want to buy a new printer.
    >
    > It must have scan, fax, copy, but also have nice result when a photo
    > is scanned in.
    >
    > I'd also love wireless, but it doednt need to be, as long as I can
    > connect to home network.
    >
    > (I have a Lexmark, and it sux with Vi$ta)

    I have an HP C7280. The advantage of it is that it's networked by design, which means the scanner functions work even when not connected by USB. Most won't do that over a network. Also, it has both a photo paper tray and a plain paper tray. No swapping paper. It also has a 50-sheet ADF, and auto-duplex.

    A big disadvantage is it installs a resident monitor utility on client computers. It knows when paper gets loaded on the scanner, or when you press a button on the scanner console, and reacts accordingly.

    Unfortunately, that software does not work well. It took me multiple installs with HP's brute force cleanup utility to get it installed. Then, it's incredibly slow to load on startup, and the config changes you record at the client don't get recorded properly at the printer. (E.go., picklist of apps to scan into.)

    I've disabled the resident monitor until it's improved. That's a subject of a message I was planning to install here, anyway.

  3. Re: All-in-one recommendation

    "Chris Cowles" wrote:

    >"Mike123" wrote in message news:588b2355-1bc4-47e6-8fd7-8bd33779a3c8@h11g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
    >> I've got Window$ Vi$ta and I want to buy a new printer.
    >>
    >> It must have scan, fax, copy, but also have nice result when a photo
    >> is scanned in.
    >>
    >> I'd also love wireless, but it doednt need to be, as long as I can
    >> connect to home network.
    >>
    >> (I have a Lexmark, and it sux with Vi$ta)

    >I have an HP C7280. The advantage of it is that it's networked by design, which means the scanner functions work even when not connected by USB. Most won't do that over a network. Also, it has both a photo paper tray and a plain paper tray. No swapping paper. It also has a 50-sheet ADF, and auto-duplex.
    >
    >A big disadvantage is it installs a resident monitor utility on client computers. It knows when paper gets loaded on the scanner, or when you press a button on the scanner console, and reacts accordingly.
    >
    >Unfortunately, that software does not work well. It took me multiple installs with HP's brute force cleanup utility to get it installed. Then, it's incredibly slow to load on startup, and the config changes you record at the client don't get recorded properly at the printer. (E.go., picklist of apps to scan into.)
    >
    >I've disabled the resident monitor until it's improved. That's a subject of a message I was planning to install here, anyway.

    You can get one at Staples right now for $179 and if you have an old
    printer to trade in you get an addition $50 off.
    --
    Jim Rusling
    More or Less Retired

+ Reply to Thread